1st quarter reports

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully our recent additions will be fully fit soon - bit of a patched-up look to the team just now. The goal difference is the big difference this year. We still look vulnerable to teams that outmuscle us but we look far more capable of butchering teams that are not on top of their game whereas last year we'd struggle to put the ball in the net no matter who we were playing. Given our budget and full time status, being anywhere other than top can only merit a B. Really enjoyed plenty of games this year too - enjoyment was something hard to come by last year but sticking seven past Cowden and beating Dundee have eclipsed anything we did last season.

I'd say B- for us. We've been tremendous is some games, yet by all accounts pretty w**k in others. Losses to Ayr at home, Peterhead away and a draw at home to Airdrie are not the sort of results we need if we wish to win promotion. Apparently we were rank on Saturday as well. For all the goals we've scored, I believe we are on the same number of points (or only slightly ahead) of what we were on at this time last season.

We need to find some consistency.

Exactly the same total after the first quarter. Stick your house on us drawing at Stranraer.

After 9 games of the season previous title winners had:-

Morton-15 Points

Rangers-27 Points

QoTS- 23 Points

Cowdenbeath- 20 Points

Livingston- 18 Points

Stirling- 20 Points

Raith Rovers- 19 Points

Ross County- 18 Points

Morton- 23 Points

Gretna-23 Points

Brechin City- 18 Points

I had forgotten what a shocking start Morton had last year, the numbers would dictate it's highly unlikely that anyone outwith Dunfermline or Ayr will be walking away with the title this year.

I'd say B- for us. We've been tremendous is some games, yet by all accounts pretty w**k in others. Losses to Ayr at home, Peterhead away and a draw at home to Airdrie are not the sort of results we need if we wish to win promotion. Apparently we were rank on Saturday as well. For all the goals we've scored, I believe we are on the same number of points (or only slightly ahead) of what we were on at this time last season.

We need to find some consistency.

Yep, we won our 9th game against Ayr 1-0 away which put us top for one night, it was after that the wheels fell of in rather spectacular fashion, winning two out of the next 12 games.

Once we get a settled side I think we will pull away, think Ayr might struggle with injuries and suspensions.

Defence

Rooney and Talbot at full backs is the way forward, reckon McAusland and Ben too with Martin a good sub for any position really.

Midfield

Geggan back to his best, Paton excellent and Cardle his usual hot or cold self. We have lots of cover for the other positions. Would like to see Bryne play again. McCabe seems too similar to Falkingham and doesn't compete enough for me. Spence could yet have a part to play.

First three players are definite starters with Paton our most important player IMO.

Attack

Fais and MAC seem the best all round to me but Moffat offers something. Just wish he would be more selfish and clinical.

Wallace is hot and cold. I think he could potentially play in midfield or as a deep striker and the same goes for Moffat. Quite effective workrate and tackling.

Overall B+

Ayr win aside we should have won every game.

Morton-15 Points

Rangers-27 Points

QoTS- 23 Points

Cowdenbeath- 20 Points

Livingston- 18 Points

Stirling- 20 Points

Raith Rovers- 19 Points

Ross County- 18 Points

Morton- 23 Points

Gretna-23 Points

Brechin City- 18 Points

I had forgotten what a shocking start Morton had last year, the numbers would dictate it's highly unlikely that anyone outwith Dunfermline or Ayr will be walking away with the title this year.

The fact that most teams in the league are rubbish means they're unlikely to win the title tbh.

Happy and not so happy with this airdrie team at the moment and as for bollan he seem to lack desire to win games at times.

What's to be happy about - we are in the top 4

-we are not losing goals left right and center

-when we do turn up we are playing some nice football

-goals coming from nearly every one in the team

-some good signings from the summer playing well and watt and o'neil step up there game (o'neil playin out if position at LB when he's a RB

What not to be happy about - some suspect signings vanzanton /McBride(waste of a wage both and could be past it ...need shot of them to better the team)

No out and out striker that's going to get 20+goals (hunter mibi if he stays on after the turn of the year )

-bollan refusal to sub when needed( Morgan at dumfermline )to a least try and hold on to a win

-lister's op not being paid for by club when he is majorly missed in that team

-who Evers bright idea it was to put the sponsor logo on the top of the shirt at the back breaking up the diamond needs shot

Sensible post from you. Do this more please. Taken out points from the original post that I don't agree with.

Morton-15 Points

Rangers-27 Points

QoTS- 23 Points

Cowdenbeath- 20 Points

Livingston- 18 Points

Stirling- 20 Points

Raith Rovers- 19 Points

Ross County- 18 Points

Morton- 23 Points

Gretna-23 Points

Brechin City- 18 Points

Very interesting. You can't win the title in the first quarter but you can lose it, and all that

Have to give Ayr an A after last season's effort. The turnaround is impressive.

That said, losing such late goals in the two home draws was massively disappointing, if only looking at how big a lead we could have had. Made palatable by the fact that we are top of the league, were winning both games and haven't come close to losing a league game since the opening weekend.

More of the same, please.

Archived