What song or music would you like played at your funeral?

ICTJohnboy

This classic by Scotland's finest band, from their best album 'Sparkle in the Rain' from 1983.

A eulogy to Glasgow and it's heavy industry and industrial roots, little known fact, with it being essentially a song about their home city the record company suggested an iconic Glasgow venue for a live shoot video, at that point the Barrowland ballroom down the Gallowgate had been mothballed and gathering mould and dust for over a decade, Bruce Findlay their manager suggested a quick clean up of this place, forever associated with 'Bible John', the Barras market etc (as well as the dodgy Celtic pubs around it :P) and so they put on a free gig here for fan club members etc and it was such a success an events company bought the lease for the place and turned it into the iconic gig venue it is today, it may be a sweat box, a bit rickety and have an overwhelming aroma of pish but is one of THE best places in the UK to watch a live band.

And the song, with its pulsing bassline, crashing drums interspersed with melodic guitar chimes and shimmering keyboard lines it is a truly magnificent song, about an iconic city with a video shot in an iconic venue. 

Waterfront, by Toryglen boys Simple Minds. 

• 2 weeks later...

As you need three songs, one as mourners troop in, one as the curtains are drawn, and one as the mourners troop out, then I’m going for...

Status Quo ‘Down Down’

Deep Purple ‘Burn’

REM ‘It’s the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

... then everyone heads off to the Lynnhurst Hotel in Johnstone for a sausage roll and a glass of fizz. That’s me done. Cheerio!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2019 at 16:32, Bully Wee Villa said:

Nothing. I'd prefer not to die. 

Sorry, you're a moderator of a forum frequented by WaffenThinMint. Not an option.

I'm considering Posthumous Humiliation by Pissgrave.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Sadly, I've had to have a good think about this lately. My cancer is terminal and at 48 my race is almost run. Just a few months left according to the docs. I could keep the mourners hanging around listening to My Bloody Valentine b-sides and early Parquet Courts singles all day but I don't think they'd appreciate it. Some punter once said it's better to burn out than fade away, so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks P&B, it's been a lot of fun, but it's time to sign out and bid you all goodnight. Get every lump and bump checked out before it's too late and don't wait to do all the things you want to do in life. Lots of love and peace out.

f**k's sake min. Best of luck, Jimi.

Edit: I've always liked your posts and you'll be missed.

Edited by BFTD

Sadly, I've had to have a good think about this lately. My cancer is terminal and at 48 my race is almost run. Just a few months left according to the docs. I could keep the mourners hanging around listening to My Bloody Valentine b-sides and early Parquet Courts singles all day but I don't think they'd appreciate it. Some punter once said it's better to burn out than fade away, so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks P&B, it's been a lot of fun, but it's time to sign out and bid you all goodnight. Get every lump and bump checked out before it's too late and don't wait to do all the things you want to do in life. Lots of love and peace out.

Not much you can say to that Jimi other than that I’m sorry to hear it and hope you will be able to focus on enjoying the time you have left however long that is.

I’ve really enjoyed reading your music contributions and it would be great if you could keep posting for as long as you are able as I know there’s many on here who would appreciate that and hopefully would be something that would continue to give you pleasure.

Safe journey anyway.

On 21/01/2022 at 13:19, Jimi Shandrix said:

So sorry to hear that man. I hope you can make the most of the time you have left. 

I’m so, so sorry to hear this. I’ll make it known that your music taste is absolutely tremendous and I’ve found some great music thanks to some of the stuff you’ve posted in this part of the forum. No doubt you make those close to you extraordinarily happy and proud. Look after yourself Jimi.

Having said that, Only Shallow as a funeral tune would get a few funny looks for sure.

On 21/01/2022 at 13:19, Jimi Shandrix said:

I'm gutted to read this.

@Jimi Shandrix is one of my favourite posters on this site. We've had some great banter and shared some great tunes on here.

Keep your chin up Jimi. I hope to hear from you again soon.

Edited by Paul Kersey