• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
Tynierose

Is the Brand right?

Change the name  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name junior football be changed

In the past there has been one or two debates about whether the name junior football is the right name for this level of football.

Surely it's obvious that junior football is men playing at a semi professional level, right? Surely people outwith the junior fraternity wouldn't think junior football was for kids?

Do you think the name should be changed to prevent confusion or is it just fine?

As the person who is in charge of the Bo'ness United email account I occasionally have to reject offers offering the club the chance to play in several youth tournaments both in England and abroad. So do people see the name juniors and think it must be kids?

Do we need to rebrand our game and remove juniors from it?

I also run the juniors.info website and just got this email yesterday. Here is part of the email I received from a production company yesterday.

This is a bit of an unusual request. I'm a researcher at ...... Productions and I'm part of a production team that is currently developing a new genre-busting comedy prank show for E4 called ..............
In a variety of different scenarios ........... (an extremely talented impressionist, check him out on YouTube) will prank people into believing they're talking to a pop culture icon: whether that be a celebrity or a fictional character.
One of the pranks (a prank phone call) we'd really like to do would involve ........... ringing up an Under 9s/10s Football Manager as Alan Shearer (it's an uncanny impression) to critique the manager's tactical decisions.
Now it's quite an elaborate prank and would require us having some prior knowledge of a team's players, positions, tactics and a recent result - but it could be magnificent.
Does it sound like something you might be willing to help us with i.e. finding a suitable manager? It's all fun and games and afterwards we'll let them know you're in on the joke and everyone can have a laugh about it.
Let me know! And if so, I'll give you a ring to talk in more detail. I think it's going to be really fun and won't require much of your time at all,
So is the above indicative of how the junior game is viewed?
Forgot to say. For me it has to be changed.
Edited by Tynieness

I know i sound like a broken record but time to dump this junior tag pish and get our game dragged into the 21st century .

An embarrassing tag and one that doesn't describe our game at all well, any product that needs explained as to what it actually is can only be flawed.

Junior ....... Bloody junior :huh: :huh:

I know i sound like a broken record but time to dump this junior tag pish and get our game dragged into the 21st century .

An embarrassing tag and one that doesn't describe our game at all well, any product that needs explained as to what it actually is can only be flawed.

Junior ....... Bloody junior :huh: :huh:

Totally agree. Dreadful name. No wonder it's difficult to get sponsors of our main cup.

Totally agree. Dreadful name. No wonder it's difficult to get sponsors of our main cup.

In a completely oxymoron way i think it's actually a great name for our brand in terms of it being stuck in the past .........................

As that is exactly what junior football really is as we at times don't know who we are playing from week to week and sadly as you allude to our number one cup can't even find a sponsor .

Take a look around yourself at various clubs match day shirts and look at the very good companies that sponsor the various teams , Beith alone have the biggest school bus rental company in scotland on our jerseys as well as W.H.Malcolm and lots of other teams have excellent sponsors too .

But here we have the greatest tournament that junior football can offer and no sponsor :huh: :huh:

PC Cabe hasn't posted his disapproval yet?!

One of the Beith guys should go round to his house and check he's ok.

Oh and get the name changed. It doesn't matter what to, just as long as it provides an unambiguous description of the grade.

It has to go.

I love my team but it sickens and shames me to say they play at Junior level. Every time I'm abroad or speak to people from England, Wales and Ireland they just look at me like I have one eye in the centre of my head ( cue the remarks- well you are fae Auchinleck ). Then you have to explain that you don't support a kids team and show them your CBR check.

I know there are people who want to keep the name but I'm sorry I totally disagree and I believe you are all dinosaurs.

It has to go. ASAP!!!!!

I haven't had a major opinion on the name thing, although I do agree it causes a bit of confusion when trying to explain it to people from other countries etc

However, as QUANTUM says the CBR check might be needed and I wondered if the original post was a bit weird as a "Mystery" person wanted a bit of background on players etc in the 9/10 age group

Weird or what, in this day and age

I think I've mentioned this here before, but some years ago I was going out with a girl who was a teacher - one Friday I mentioned to her that I was going to a Junior game the next day, only for her to tell me I should come to see her school's team because they were really good.

I just say non-league when I'm talking to someone outside the Junior world these days. The current name of the grade is a bit of a relic, and only causes confusion - keep Juniors in the name of the club by all means if it's in there already (never did Boca any harm), but change the name of the grade.

Edited by Hillonearth

I haven't had a major opinion on the name thing, although I do agree it causes a bit of confusion when trying to explain it to people from other countries etc

However, as QUANTUM says the CBR check might be needed and I wondered if the original post was a bit weird as a "Mystery" person wanted a bit of background on players etc in the 9/10 age group

Weird or what, in this day and age

Not really a mystery person. The name has been removed as has the name of the show and the production company. No reason for the companies ID to be given as just using them as an example of the sort of mix ups that the juniors brand causes

At the moment 82% want the name changed.

Edited by Tynieness
Poll update

PC Cabe hasn't posted his disapproval yet?!

One of the Beith guys should go round to his house and check he's ok.

If he still lived in the town I would be round at his door to check he's okay :huh::)

As said its a bit concerning why he's not been on yet to stick his neb in. :)

The fact that there has been numerous threads on here regarding a name change, proves to me there is a need for change!! Any product, where you have to explain what the name means can't be great. How many companies has T.Johnston contacted about sponsoring the Junior Cup, and probably had the phone put down on him before he gets the chance to explain it's actually adult semi-pro football that needs the sponsorship. Many of these big companies probably have head offices all over Europe, probably think he's crazy asking for x amount of thousands to sponsor what they think is a kids grade of football!!

Not really a mystery person. The name has been removed as has the name of the show and the production company. No reason for the companies ID to be given as just using them as an example of the sort of mix ups that the juniors brand causes

At the moment 82% want the name changed.

Down to 80% now I've voted!

I have a life hence why I'm just on.

I see no need to change it and I see nothing that has or will change my mind.

The fact that there has been numerous threads on here regarding a name change, proves to me there is a need for change!! Any product, where you have to explain what the name means can't be great. How many companies has T.Johnston contacted about sponsoring the Junior Cup, and probably had the phone put down on him before he gets the chance to explain it's actually adult semi-pro football that needs the sponsorship. Many of these big companies probably have head offices all over Europe, probably think he's crazy asking for x amount of thousands to sponsor what they think is a kids grade of football!!

Great post