Whose Film Quiz Is It Anyway? II

Albino Rover

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The deadline for entry has now passed.

I'm pleased to say that the turnout for this quiz is similar in size to last time, so the start of this quiz will take place in a "World Cup" style format. You'll be drawn into eight groups of 4 (no seeding, just at random.) At the group stages there will be three quiz rounds. You'll all answer the same questions.

We have 34 players signed up, so two of you (at random) will get byes into the final 18 where you'll join the top 2 from each group and face off in head-to-heads.

The last 9 will qualify for the semi-finals, and five of you will be in the final.

I hope that's all clear and understandable. If any of you have any questions then fire away.

I'll draw the groups tomorrow and the first round will begin on Monday with a deadline of Thursday (assuming Thursday and Sunday deadlines suit the majority. Any objections, speak now.)

Here are your groups:

Group A

SamuraiJock

Twinkle

Blootoon87

Loki

Group B

Richie95

8MileBU

Christophe

killienick

Group C

Kyle

KnightswoodBear

The DA

Eednud

Group D

The Minertaur

King Kebab

BaSeDG0DSA1NT

JamieT1314

Group E

alang1993

DA Baracus

Caveman

Randy Giles

Group F

MikeyVanBasten3

Biscuits

bhoy who invented weetabix

Spectre

Group G

STU KTID

milton75

Mr. Brightside

gingette

Group H

Tam Servo

Ludo *1

PrestersKTID

invergowrie arab

Byes

the aggressive beggar

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

Round 1 will be posted on Monday.

Here are your groups:

Group A

SamuraiJock

Twinkle

Blootoon87

Loki

Group B

Richie95

8MileBU

Christophe

killienick

Group C

Kyle

KnightswoodBear

The DA

Eednud

Group D

The Minertaur

King Kebab

BaSeDG0DSA1NT

JamieT1314

Group E

alang1993

DA Baracus

Caveman

Randy Giles

Group F

MikeyVanBasten3

Biscuits

bhoy who invented weetabix

Spectre

Group G

STU KTID

milton75

Mr. Brightside

gingette

Group H

Tam Servo

Ludo *1

PrestersKTID

invergowrie arab

Byes

the aggressive beggar

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

Round 1 will be posted on Monday.

Not easy to read on iPad.

The Quiz

Last time out I found that there were a few potential grey areas in the group format so, with plenty of time before we start, a quick run-through of how everything will work.

Group stages

Each round will consist of ten general film knowledge questions. Answers should be sent in a PM to me before the stated deadline and for each round the top 2 scorers in each group will get points accordingly: 3 for the highest scorer; 2 for the runner-up.

In the event of a tie for 1st or 2nd the points will be split, but outright 3rd and 4th-placed players will never get points.

Examples:

2-way tie for 1st place: all 5 points will be split between the top 2 scorers, 3rd and 4th score 0.

3-way tie for 1st place: all points will be split among the top 3 scorers, 4th scores 0.

4-way tie for 1st place: all 5 points will be split among all 4 players.

2-way tie for 2nd place: the 2 points will be split between 2nd and 3rd, 4th scores 0.

3-way tie for 2nd place: the 2 points will be split among 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

In the event of a tie at the end of three rounds it will go to correct answers overall. If they are still tied, we'll go to a tie-break round of 5 questions and, if necessary, sudden death.

Second Round

The second round will consist of nine knock-out head-to-heads. The eight group winners and one of the byes will be seeded. Similarly to the group stages all 18 players will be given the same questions but the best scorer of each head-to-head wins. In the event of a tie it will go to a tie-break/sudden death.

The last 9 will be explained later.

A couple of points in general:

Where possible, there will be two rounds of questions per week, lasting from either Monday-Thursday or Friday-Sunday. (You may have to make yourself a bit more available in the later stages, but I'll try to accommodate for those who can't be.)

Deadlines will mostly be midnight Thursdays and Sundays, and are not negotiable. All excuses such as "The PM didn't send", "My internet cut out at 11:50pm", "P&B was down", "My computer got struck by lightning", "I was about to press Send and all of a sudden I was struck over the head, gassed, hooded and dragged to a darkened room for interrogation" are invalid.

Be aware that tie-breaks will have shorter deadlines than ordinary rounds.

I'll be deleting my PMs regularly, so please start a new PM for each round.

For people's names I'll be looking for first and last names for full marks. I won't be fussy on spelling. For foreign films I'll accept either the English or the "local" title.

Googling (or even Binging) is very much frowned upon. It's not policeable but it isn't in the spirit of a fun quiz so please don't cheat.

Any further questions then fire away.

Archived