Madrid

Alan Stubbs

Going in a few days for a stag. Any recommendations for areas/streets to go out in?

Planning on doing the tour on the first full day and hopefully getting a sense of what to go back to from that. Any particular ideas for shit to do in the day appreciated though.

Also, might try and get tickets for the Madrid derby on Sunday if it all possible - not optimistic about that but. Anyone familiar with the ticket tout situation for these games?

Ta.

Don't normally go to museums and art galleries in foreign cities, usually just roam around at random but I made an exception in Madrid. Don't mean spending hours, but a quick trip to the Prado to see The Garden of Earthly Delights by our very own HB, and Picasso's Guernica at The Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía by the main Railway Station are worth half an hour at each. The bars etc are all a bit of a blur I'm afraid.

La Latina or Tribunal are probably the best parts of town for going out. It's very hard to have a bad night out in Madrid wherever you go, mind you.

During the day, there are plenty of museums. See Guernica if you can.

Spend some time in Plaza Mayor, but try to avoid spending any money there, as it's a tourist trap.

There will be touts outside the ground if you want football tickets, but for a derby you may have to shell out a lot.

We always do the tour first day on a holiday and then roam around areas we like the look of so can't actually remember any of the names of places we went to apart from Mercado San Miguel which was good for spending time eating and drinking, also Botanics. Might not be ideal stag territory though depending on what your mates are like.

La Latina or Tribunal are probably the best parts of town for going out. It's very hard to have a bad night out in Madrid wherever you go, mind you.

During the day, there are plenty of museums. See Guernica if you can.

Spend some time in Plaza Mayor, but try to avoid spending any money there, as it's a tourist trap.

There will be touts outside the ground if you want football tickets, but for a derby you may have to shell out a lot.

Aye that's my thoughts with the "not optimistic" statement. I'm guessing the going rate will be a lot more than I'm interested in paying.

We always do the tour first day on a holiday and then roam around areas we like the look of so can't actually remember any of the names of places we went to apart from Mercado San Miguel which was good for spending time eating and drinking, also Botanics. Might not be ideal stag territory though depending on what your mates are like.

Not ideal how? :lol: It'll be a piss-up but we won't be kicking about in costumes or generally drawing attention to ourselves. Anywhere that's not too posh but not Davey's Scottish Boozer usually does the job.

I believe Madrid is known for it's rooftop bars. That'll be quite pleasant if the forecast is right and it'll be mid 20 degrees.

Sorry can't be of more use for you. Surprising how much I've forgotten about that trip although it was 7/8 years ago now. Remember there being a lot of bars around the square/piazza area where the Spaniards had a 3 day protest about the austerity cuts at the time that will probably suit what you're after.

• 5 months later...

Bumpity bump.

I've just booked flights today for 13 of us going on a stag in September, I'm the best man.  We're hoping to take in a game (Rayo Vallecano, Atleti, Real in order of preference), but obviously as we aren't going until next season we can't do much about that just now.

The next step will be sorting accommodation, ideally somewhere nice and central for the pubs.  A quick bit of googling suggested Malasaña to be the best area for a night out, but I see no mention of it in here?  What other areas should I be looking at?

Any suggestions for activities other than sitting in the pub all day would be appreciated.  Whilst I can't see many of the group being too keen on museums or art galleries I'm determined to force a bit of culture on them while we are there!  I like the sound of the rooftop terrace at the Círculo de Bellas Artes.  Is the Casa de Campo worth a visit?  I believe it is five times the size of Central Park? (New York not Cowdenbeath).

• 2 years later...

Apologies for another bump of an old thread but am heading to Madrid at the start of December and was wondering if anyone had experience of buying tickets for Atletico games. Quite a bit of contradicting information out there. Seen a few places saying tickets only properly go on sale in the last week but it appears you can buy tickets in very low numbers already on their site. The low numbers seem odd as it’s so far in advance and it’s only Alaves so not exactly a glamour game. You can still buy tickets for their next couple of games so that’s why it seems odd that so few are available for a game in December.

Going to be three of us going and there does appear to be tickets available on places like viagogo.

I’ve never been to a La Liga game so not too sure what is the normal protocol for buying tickets in Spain so any advice would be appreciated.

Went to a Palma game and just went to the ground the day before. The cheapest tickets were reserved for locals but it was no problem getting a central main stand seat for 40 euros. It was fairly packed out too.I doubt you'll have a problem as its too early to be a clincher. Stay away from Viagogo.

I bought tickets for The Bernabeu two years ago through the Real website. My memory is a bit hazy but I think I recall there being a real lack of available tickets until quite last minute, but I still managed to get 12.

I think it’s to do with the way they do season tickets in Spain. I think ST holders are known as “members” and they have a claim to a seat but don’t pay in advance. Members have to inform the club if they don’t intend going to a game and the seat is then made available for the general public.

44 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Apologies for another bump of an old thread but am heading to Madrid at the start of December and was wondering if anyone had experience of buying tickets for Atletico games. Quite a bit of contradicting information out there. Seen a few places saying tickets only properly go on sale in the last week but it appears you can buy tickets in very low numbers already on their site. The low numbers seem odd as it’s so far in advance and it’s only Alaves so not exactly a glamour game. You can still buy tickets for their next couple of games so that’s why it seems odd that so few are available for a game in December.

Going to be three of us going and there does appear to be tickets available on places like viagogo.

I’ve never been to a La Liga game so not too sure what is the normal protocol for buying tickets in Spain so any advice would be appreciated.

Hi mate, I live in Madrid and a regular at Atletico. Buy on their website. It is in English and you can print at home. The ultras sit on the lower tier of the South stand 'fondo sur' and the best tickets are to sit right above them IMO. Whilst there might seem a low number, scout around on the website on each section and you should be able to get two/maybe three together. 

All games up to Christmas are already on sale on the website. 

Not sure how legit the viagogo tix are. My only experience with them was buying Munich tickets and they were fine.

Give me a shout if there is anything else you want to know.