The Sons v Livingston 3/10/15

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would drop Hippo for Mullen and keep the rest of the team that started against Alloa, think he looked a bit off his game and a stint on the bench could do him some good to get his focus back.

Expecting a tough game but think we can win it and move up another spot before St Mirren at home the following week.

Not confident in the slightest, fully expecting a Livi win here.

I'd start with two up front, one of the two being McCallum. Although Cawley played excellent yesterday I'd rather him out wide to allow Fleming to play alongside McCallum, we need his presence in the box.

As much as Stevie Craig hasn't be great it would be good to have him back. He can at least hold the ball up and gives us a different option up front.

Wee Stevie has to get this right and if it isn't working then some subs before the 80th minute would be nice. As much as we've played well in games, 2 goals in 6 games simply isn't good enough and clearly something isn't working. The league position may not look the worst but 1 point and 2 goals in 6 is utterly awful.

We need to try something different because at the moment the current formation isn't working. Defensively we look fine and our two centre mids - whilst defensive - are excellent players. Will Buchy be recalled I wonder? He's been one of our best performers this season, but Wright was outstanding at the weekend and it'd be harsh to drop him. Docherty was poor on Saturday however, but Waters was also poor against Morton. Not sure what we do there to be quite honest.

We're missing Taggart and having Gal in midfield badly.

So, thinking radically here's how I'd consider lining up:

Brown

Buchanan Barr Wright

Gallagher Routledge McCallum Brown Gibson

Fleming Brophy

It's drastic I know, but something does need to change. The back 3 are solid, whilst Gallagher, Brown and Routledge will also prevent them being over run. Gallagher offers us protection that I don't think Cawley would, harsh to drop him perhaps but hey-ho.

McCallum was impressive against Alloa as a sub, and the same against Raith on Saturday. The boy has talent, why not give him a shot in his preferred position in behind the strikers?

Upfront there's little point leaving the Broph up there alone, that will never work. Garry can offer more of a physical presence and create space and chances for Brophy to run into.

Absolutely no idea how this'll go. But 3 points - and indeed a goal from open play - are long, long overdue.

The big worry for me is that we're not committing men forward in support of the lone striker. Playing 1 up front is fine if we get people up quickly to support him when we've got the ball. It's a problem when we sit in and are really stodgy going forward.

We've got a back 4 and a defensive midfielder. Routledge gives his defenders enough protection that we can afford to have one of the more attacking midfielders pushing on to help the striker. If we're going 4-2-3-1 then it has to be a 4-2-3-1 with the 3 attacking midfielders actually contributing in attack. We can't allow them to be drawn into packing the midfield in a 5 and leaving the striker on his own.

We've got the players to play that formation and potentially to play it well but we can't be drawn into packing the midfield and showing absolutely no drive in attack. We need more from Gibson, we need to decide between Cawley and Gallagher on the right and we need to get Fleming driving forward more and running at midfielders and defenders.

A must-win match for us, no doubt about it.

Livi had an excellent away win at Alloa today, knocking in 3 goals without reply.

Apprehensive to say the least.

Nah, I'm not wearing this 'must-win' patter, we'll get out of this game exactly what we deserve, and of late we've simply not been good enough in the final third. Calling out a game as 'must-win' influences in itself nothing.

It's interesting though that So08 and BSF have posted their ideas, and they should really be put to Stevie Aitken at this weekend's Meet The Manager session.

Nah, I'm not wearing this 'must-win' patter, we'll get out of this game exactly what we deserve, and of late we've simply not been good enough in the final third. Calling out a game as 'must-win' influences in itself nothing.

It's interesting though that So08 and BSF have posted their ideas, and they should really be put to Stevie Aitken at this weekend's Meet The Manager session.

I don't think the meet the manager has come at the best of times.

I wonder if the requests for waves and passing on of love letters will be put on hold whilst the hordes question what young McCallum has to do to earn a bit of game time.

I don't think the meet the manager has come at the best of times.

I wonder if the requests for waves and passing on of love letters will be put on hold whilst the hordes question what young McCallum has to do to earn a bit of game time.

Was discussing this with someone today. Worst time possible for Stevie but maybe in a weird way a good time for the fans. At least we can ask questions as opposed to folk just going along and saying you're doing well Stevie. Keep it going. More of the same... etc.

I have a few developing concerns about our squad depth, lack of plan B and formations. Will be good to put some of these to the manager and see where he intends we move forward as a team.

You must be joking?

So you honestly do not believe we have to win this match v Livingston on Saturday??

Lol

Unless we start winning the only way is down, so this coming Sat is 'a must win', no doubt about it.

Pretty sure Stevie Aitken wants to win on Saturday too.

Maybe he should step aside and let the fans pick the team??

We don't 'have' to win this match but another defeat with no goals scored would be deeply concerning and all that early season optimism would continue to wither.

Aitken has put together a squad of players capable of getting results, they won't have a better opportunity for some weeks to make it click and get some more points on the board.

Aye I'm not sure you can call it a must win game in October. Plenty games to correct ourselves if we lose.

Buchanan back in for me, I'm also not sure that playing Brown and Routledge in the centre is our most creative pairing. The service to our forwards needs to drastically improve.

This is a big game for us, I wouldn't say it's a must win unlike against Alloa but it's a must not lose for me so we can try and get a run of results going.

I think we have just about found our strongest 11 now, I know what people are saying about Hippo but he can be extremely effective and I'd still be starting him with Mullen used as an impact sub.

Same team that played Alloa for me here,

McCallum

Longridge

Millen

Gallacher

Gordon

Glen

Cole

Pittman

Hippolyte

Buchanan

Sheerin

Think this is a great opportunity to record back to back wins but knowing Livi we won't turn up but fingers crossed.

I'll got for an optimistic 2-1 win.

You must be joking?

So you honestly do not believe we have to win this match v Livingston on Saturday??

Lol

Unless we start winning the only way is down, so this coming Sat is 'a must win', no doubt about it.

Pretty sure Stevie Aitken wants to win on Saturday too.

Maybe he should step aside and let the fans pick the team??

You totally misunderstand my posting SE. Like every other fixture this is a ‘must-win’ game but as we saw from the Alloa defeat naming it so does absolutely nothing in itself if we don’t get things right on the day, and that was my point. All that label does is heighten the expectations in more impressionable supporters, which when they are not met can lead to the sort of verbal abuse we witnessed at the end of said Alloa match.

Why increase the pressure on an already pressurised management and playing squad ?

We've no room for passengers no matter how good they can be, think Hippo needs a wee shake same as DJ did to get him back on his game. Coming off the bench might be enough to get him focussed back on his game.

If you're talking passengers, personally I think Cole has been more of one than what Hippolyte has been this season. Just my opinion though.

Gibbons in for Cole and Mullen in for Hippo would be the changes I'd make from the team that played Alloa. Gibbons has looked good whenever I've seen him so not sure why he's been dropped, and Cole hasn't really continued from how good he was last season. Hippo's starting to frustrate me with how often he tries too much then ends up giving the ball away, think like LF says he could do with starting on the bench for this one.

Would like to think we could win this one but you never know with Livi, as soon as we start looking good we'll have a nightmare.

Archived