Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

He's scored again tonight. Drought clearly over. If he scores like this in the Prem next season and Strachan doesn't play him then he's officially lost the plot. Say what you want about "the system", if he doesn't fit we need to find a way to make him fit, it's not very often a Scottish player has his goal scoring ability and he's still only 26.

Rhodes could be the EPL top scorer next season and get a move to a 'big' club and Strachan still wouldn't pick him.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes could be the EPL top scorer next season and get a move to a 'big' club and Strachan still wouldn't pick him.

I've previously been a staunch defender of him picking Fletcher because I think he does contribute a lot. But at some point some thing has got to give, you can't keep ignoring a player rattling the goals in. The fact he wasn't even in the friendly squads was very weird, unless he specifically requested not to be in order he sort his Boro drought.

If Scotland are to progress we need a striker who actually scores goals consistently, Fletcher clearly isn't the answer in that regard.

Whether that means we need to change the system so he plays alongside a second striker, or whether that means a different striker I don't know, but something needs to change.

The continual exclusion of Rhodes (and McCormack until his call up due to injury withdrawals) is baffling. Even more baffling is Chris Martin's inclusion, he's a poor mans Kevin Kyle.

Strachan seems to value his system more than his players abilities.

Guest DAVIDB69

As what normally happens middlesboro will buy bigger if they get promotion, Rhodes will become a squad capital one cup player.

Then Rhodes will probably be back to the championship on loan next January

As what normally happens middlesboro will buy bigger if they get promotion, Rhodes will become a squad capital one cup player.

Then Rhodes will probably be back to the championship on loan next January

Yeah a lot depends on boro ' s summer transfer strategy. If they buy in some big money samba superstar then Rhodes will become a 70th minute sub as has happened to David nugent. If that happens then it'll be up to rhodes to make the most of his chances

Really don't agree with that. Watched him a lot and his finishing is class. This must be the 1st time he's played at one of the best teams in a league too.

Absolute mince, but even if there was a modicum of truth the fact still remains he is easily the best finisher Scotland have. Therefore he is more likely to take any chance presented to him than any other striker we could pick.

Spot on.

You don't get his goals per game ratio by 'scuffing the ball alot'.

Love the comments about "watching him often"* and "absolute mince" about what I posted. I literally watch him play every single week. There is absolutely no denying that he needs a few chances a game to score. Clearly at the same time there's no denying he is a good finisher, and he should absolutely be in the squad ahead the likes of Chris fucking Martin. I'd definitely have him starting against poor teams that we (in theory) should have plenty of chances against.

ETA: * At least Lichtie put forward his argument in a non-arsehole dismissive way. "Absolute mince" from PB was hilarious coming from him.

What striker in the world scores with every chance they get though? I just don't understand the point you are trying to make, I find his finishing to be superb, I've watched him for years as well, especially to start with as I really thought he was going to play a big part for us.

What striker in the world scores with every chance they get though? I just don't understand the point you are trying to make, I find his finishing to be superb, I've watched him for years as well, especially to start with as I really thought he was going to play a big part for us.

The point I'm making is that (particularly against decent teams) he won't get the numerous chances to score that he needs. As I've said I'd still play him against poorer teams and he's clearly a better player than Martin, but I'd still have Fletcher/Naismith ahead of Rhodes. Hopefully he gets more and more used to the 4231 formation and the role he needs to play, he's certainly already showing he's getting better at that role.

Had a couple of decent chances yesterday. One he really should've scored and one that was unlucky to hit the post and come back into the keeper's hands. As always, needs a good few chances to get a goal.

This is the biggest pile of pish anyone has ever written. Literally every striker to ever play the game requires a few chances to score, 1 in 5 is considered top drawer.

you obviously know nothing about football. The point with RhodesIis he's our best finisher by far so will require fewer chances than any of our other options.

1 in 5 is abysmal, and something most St Johnstone strikers better. The only one who didnt was Gregory fucking Tade

1 in 5 is abysmal, and something most St Johnstone strikers better. The only one who didnt was Gregory fucking Tade

Absolute site, football forums are so full of people that know nothing about football, 1 in 5 is tremendous and very rare. Hitting the target let alone scoring 1 in 3 is rare.

you really ought to leave the football talk to people with a clue. A striker who converts 20% of his chances would have a magnificent career, that's an extremely high rate.

If you could prove that then it would be grand, as it is Ive got eyes, and can see Saints players scoring with a better ratio than 1 in 5 at the moment

If you could prove that then it would be grand, as it is Ive got eyes, and can see Saints players scoring with a better ratio than 1 in 5 at the moment

you don't cause it'sjnever happened. I'm done with this conversation you people know jack shit about football. Suarez conversion rate in his last season at Liverpool was bang on 1 in 4 bow, Google it. As I told you it would be, Leicester are best chance converters in England with less than 1 in 5, as I told you too.

and you think St Johnstone have better than that, laughable. If you ever meet St Johnstone strikers ask them what they think theirs is, none of them will say close to 1 in 5.

Archived