Kevin Bridges @ TheHydro

stawner upper

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to take a punt and say that you're under 25. I'm going to put your daft opinion down to 'old stuff is shit just cos it is' mentality.

Billy connoly on his day shits all over Kevin bridges, and I'm entirely certain Kevin bridges would agree with that statement.

Tbh I think it's actually the opposite,lots of people just like Billy Connoly because they think that they're supposed to.

Billy Connolly is the greatest stand-up comedian of all time, essentially created the medium as we now know it. Genius.

^ wrote somebody on a Scottish website about a Scottish comedian who would almost certainly have been the best from Scotland at times.

I recall Billy Connolly back in the day and it seemed to me that he relied somewhat upon being very shouty, very Glaswegian and risque.

UK network TV seemed surprised that a working class Glaswegian had a hint of the cerebral about him.

He certainly pioneered something there.

The likes of Stanhope, Louis CK, Jim Jeffries, Stewart Lee, Tony Law are so far above lowest common denominator humour of Bridges it's almost embarrassing to mention it.

I've seen Jim Jeffries live. He was the worst stand up I've ever seen. After yet another shite drunken rambling the crowd started to rip the piss out of him and he ended up spitting the dummy and storming off the stage. To be fair, that bit was pretty funny actually.

I'm not debating that, but doing something first doesn't mean you do it best. Nobody claims that the Flintstones were better than the Simpsons.

Miles better. Betty and Wilma would both get it. Marge? Maybe good for a gammy just to keep her from taking.

I've seen Jim Jeffries live. He was the worst stand up I've ever seen. After yet another shite drunken rambling the crowd started to rip the piss out of him and he ended up spitting the dummy and storming off the stage. To be fair, that bit was pretty funny actually.

Jim Jeffries is funny as f**k.

Jim Jeffries is funny as f**k.

Not when I saw him, apart from the aforementioned part where the audience started ripping him for being shite and he lost it. That was funny as f**k.

Was quite a while ago to be fair. Most of what I've seen of him since has been pretty funny.

I love Billy Connolly, but I saw him in Glasgow not long after the SECC opened and I didn't enjoy his rose tinted reminiscing of Glasgow. As soon as he stopped telling everyone how much he loved the city he fled from years ago, he was far funnier in my opinion.

At least Bridges' weegieism is still current, so I will give him that. Other than that though, Connolly pisses on him from a great height to be honest.

Still, fair play to the lad, he is doing well for himself. No doubt most people on here will either give or receive his new DVD this Christmas as well.

The likes of Stanhope, Louis CK, Jim Jeffries, Stewart Lee, Tony Law are so far above lowest common denominator humour of Bridges it's almost embarrassing to mention it.

A large part of their appeal is pandering to their audiences smug sense of intellectual superiority over the types of people who like Kevin Bridges/Michael Macintyre.

At least that's why I like them

Billy Connolly is the greatest stand-up comedian of all time, essentially created the medium as we now know it. Genius.

Bridges is decent, but no where close to the big yin.

Stand up is an American invention. Guys like George Carlin and Richard Pryor were doing great stand up when Billy was playing along on his banjo.

However Connolly was probably the first really great British stand up (Tommy Cooper or Chic Murray weren't stand up's I'd say but I accept the definition is fraught with difficulties).

Unfortunately because he wasn't part of the alternative comedy scene, which has almost become a sort of punk, ground zero, it all started here, moment in UK comedy, I do think he doesn't get the credit he deserves for popularising and innovating UK stand up comedy.

I am a child of 86 and i remember Billy Connolly all through my life. My fondest memory of him was probably on Parkinson in 2004 when he was sat next to Tom Cruise and some black athlete woman who became a Dame and he was totally ripping the shit out of both of them.

I recall in late 90's and early 00's watching videos and DVD's of his around xmas time and various other times of the year before you could just stick it on youtube and it was absolutely hilarious and very relevant viewing, obviously mostly Glasgow based but anyone in Scotland could very closely relate.

Saw him on Saturday for the fourth time. Laughed until I was sore. The last bit about staying at your mate's house as a wee guy was some of the best stand-up I've seen.

I'm right into stuff like Stewart Lee and Bill Hicks too, but some of the snobbery on this thread is ridiculous. Liking one type of comedy over another doesn't make you any more intelligent. Some of the people implying as much can't even string a sentence together without spelling errors.

Saw him on Saturday for the fourth time. Laughed until I was sore. The last bit about staying at your mate's house as a wee guy was some of the best stand-up I've seen.

I'm right into stuff like Stewart Lee and Bill Hicks too, but some of the snobbery on this thread is ridiculous. Liking one type of comedy over another doesn't make you any more intelligent. Some of the people implying as much can't even string a sentence together without spelling errors.

I agree with you to an extent but would you say the same about folk's taste in music? That is an area with the most snobbery (I reckon) and it's pretty similar in that respect.

There's very few posters on here who are running down Kevin Bridges.

Archived