Kevin Bridges @ TheHydro

stawner upper

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not wrong though.

In general I'd say I prefer comedy acts that make you think a bit but there's definitely a time and a place for just sitting back and listening to a Kevin Bridges type act. I have to admit that most of the people I know who like Bridges are usually jakey morons, but I know plenty of folk that like him that aren't. A fairly pompous generalisation tbh.

Can't believe some of the haters on this thread, I love the guy, seeing him next Sunday and can't wait, done no to bad for himself and he's only 28, also whilst I googled that he was the top hit under Kevin, edging in ahead of Kevin De Bruyne. Not too shabby. :P

I'm there the same day, buzzing for it tbh, heard a few good reviews so it should be a top night.

Wonder sometimes if it's just Perth crowds that are dickish and don't make an effort and not for wont of the folk onstage doing their part. I know it's a different type of thing but I saw Morrissey there a few years back and it was just a bit odd. Steve and the lads played excellent but save for a few folk showing a bit of enthusiasm right in front of the stage, the majority of the crowd were absolute dullards.

Sounds like Morrissey fans to me.

I agree that it's parochial shite but he's a decent storyteller and pretty good at what he does - far better at it than the Peter Kays and Billy Connollys of the world.

Now I think about it though, everyone I know that's going to see him are all the sort of people that have watched 22 Jump Street a dozen times.

What the f**k? I might be missing something here but if you're saying Kevin Bridges is 'far better' than Peter Kay and Billy Connoly then you've lost the plot (or more accurately just lost some perspective).

Personally I prefer the Stewart Lee type of comic that is going to challenge people rather than just knock in the tap ins and pick up the cheques (although I'm in no way knocking the job of being a successful comedian). Someone else on the thread say the fact Bridges has sold out however many tickets makes him brilliant and that's not really the case. Westlife sold out plenty of gigs - but they're not making anyone's Music Hall of Fame anytime soon. It's popularity - not necessarily quality.

I do like Kevin Bridges (and Peter Kay when he first made it big was fucking hilarious - actually creased over funny). The guy's milking the game for as much as he can and who can blame him - writing a brilliant set is not enough - you need to keep churning them out. The fact that he had a BBC spin off show based on that one good routine kind of proves my point. Lots of folk lap it up and each to their own.

As is so often the case in P&B arguments - the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I think Peter Kay is shite. Don't mind Billy Connolly. Hate Ricky Gervais. Bridges is by far my favourite, can't really think of too many others I like, used to like Jimmy Carr, don't mind Jason Manford and I thought Micky Flanagan was good when I saw him.

Bridges way out in front for me, maybe because I can relate to so much of his stuff.

Can really like or hate Frankie Boyle.

I think Peter Kay is shite. Don't mind Billy Connolly. Hate Ricky Gervais. Bridges is by far my favourite, can't really think of too many others I like, used to like Jimmy Carr, don't mind Jason Manford and I thought Micky Flanagan was good when I saw him.

Bridges way out in front for me, maybe because I can relate to so much of his stuff.

and you appear to be incredibly simple.

Can really like or hate Frankie Boyle.

Peter Kay and Kevin Bridges essentially do the same stuff - just a decade or so apart (ahh remember how weird stuff was when we were kids...). Peter Kay hasn't done a lot recently that's impressed me but his breakthrough show (maybe 2003 or 04? - dunno) was absolutely brilliant.

There's a huge difference between what people like and what is actually high quality. In my opinion nothing beats a bacon roll from a decent café but I understand why they're not picking up a Michelin star.

Billy Connolly was a bit different - he changed the whole game as far as I can tell (I was born in 1981 though so I wasn't around when he was at his best). He's been rubbish for a while but he's a very old man now - and for a while has been doing wee pet projects (in a funny-ish way) rather than doing comedy. I quite liked his thing about dying he did recently - but it wasn't funny.

Ricky Gervais definitely seems to turn people right off and I'm with you in the fact that I can't stand him as a person. But some of the stuff he's produced in comedy terms has been absolutely fucking brilliant. In that respect he has to be credited as a top comedian.

I like kevin bridges he's no Billy Connolly but he's better than a lot of others claiming to be comedians. Selling out his tour kind of shows how good he is.

That's true. Compare to unmitigated shite like Jack Whitehall, Bridges is quite funny.

I never seen Kay in his prime but from what I've seen from him I couldn't dislike him any more, I don't get the love for Gervais but I think his personality puts me off big time.

Opinions eh :P Still wouldn't put anyone down over their taste in comedians though.

Can't believe some of the snooty shite I've seen on this thread because some people find something or someone funnier than somebody else.

What the f**k? I might be missing something here but if you're saying Kevin Bridges is 'far better' than Peter Kay and Billy Connoly then you've lost the plot (or more accurately just lost some perspective).

Bridges has pretty much mastered that "waheeeyyy wacky Glaswegian bantz" school of comedy that appeals to the masses. Peter Kay and Billy Connoly both go for a similar effect but are just pretty average.

Bridges has pretty much mastered that "waheeeyyy wacky Glaswegian bantz" school of comedy that appeals to the masses. Peter Kay and Billy Connoly both go for a similar effect but are just pretty average.

Billy Connolly is one of the best comedians ever he's a diffrent class to kevin bridges and Peter Kay.

I prefer sitcoms to stand up anyway, but you get a similar variety of beige run of the mill stuff and brilliantly thought out and downright hilarious stuff.

I wouldn't say I was a comedy snob, I love shooting stars for example, but I don't have any patience for the sea of garbage that is also out there.

I'm going to take a punt and say that you're under 25. I'm going to put your daft opinion down to 'old stuff is shit just cos it is' mentality.

Billy connoly on his day shits all over Kevin bridges, and I'm entirely certain Kevin bridges would agree with that statement.

I find him pretty amusing, but I wouldn't go out my way to watch him.

There appears to be a bit of that fantastic Scottish trait of knocking someone down because they've dared to be successful at what they do going on here though.

Agree with you KB, happily watch him on TV but i stop at paying £35 to sit next to drunks in the Hydro.

Btw, 16 nights or is it 21 nights? at 11,000 a night.

That's about one in twenty of Scotland's population have turned up to see Kevin Bridges.

Archived