Kevin Bridges @ TheHydro

stawner upper

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bridges fans shouldn't take it personally.

Some people like to be challenged and made to think. Some people like their own opinions and experiences spoon fed back to them in an easily swallowable comedy syrup.

It's just the way God made us and no one is worse than anyone else.

Went to see him in Perth 3-4 years ago, left disappointed. I used to like Bridges and his scripted stuff was ok-ish but he really let himself down when interacting with the crowd. Cringed as he stood in the middle of stage shrugging his shoulders saying tough crowd and sighing when nobody was laughing. Maybe just an off night but I'll save my cash for half intelligent comedians in future.

Some people like to be challenged and made to think. Some people like their own opinions and experiences spoon fed back to them in an easily swallowable comedy syrup.

You do realise it doesn't have to be one or the other don't you?

Apparently he left early on one of his London shows. Crowd interaction seemingly non existent.

Can't imagine any English understand half the things he talks about, which to me demonstrates the culture difference between Scotland and England.

Went to see him in Perth 3-4 years ago, left disappointed. I used to like Bridges and his scripted stuff was ok-ish but he really let himself down when interacting with the crowd. Cringed as he stood in the middle of stage shrugging his shoulders saying tough crowd and sighing when nobody was laughing. Maybe just an off night but I'll save my cash for half intelligent comedians in future.

Wonder sometimes if it's just Perth crowds that are dickish and don't make an effort and not for wont of the folk onstage doing their part. I know it's a different type of thing but I saw Morrissey there a few years back and it was just a bit odd. Steve and the lads played excellent but save for a few folk showing a bit of enthusiasm right in front of the stage, the majority of the crowd were absolute dullards.

I saw him in 2007 at The Stand in Edinburgh before he hit the big time (I'm no comedian hipster, I had no idea who he was) and he was absolutely brilliant. I think like many modern comedians he's struggled to maintain the quality---these days when every joke you've done hits youtube inside of about five minutes the rate at which you need to produce new material is just ridiculous.

Bridges fans shouldn't take it personally.

It's just the way God made us and no one is worse than anyone else.

Like I see the point you're trying to make here but it couldn't sound more patronising if you tried.

I agree that it's parochial shite but he's a decent storyteller and pretty good at what he does - far better at it than the Peter Kays and Billy Connollys of the world.

Now I think about it though, everyone I know that's going to see him are all the sort of people that have watched 22 Jump Street a dozen times.

Archived