Identifying Fastener Size

HoBNob

Hoping that among the PnB masses there's someone out there who can make sense out of the rather poorly put together information I'm about to throw around this post.

I like to go fishing every now and then and during a trip a screw/bolt/fastener that holds in the anti reverse lever fell out, despite this being a tiny bolt it renders the whole reel pretty much screwed(wehey), I've got a duplicate reel so I've got the same fastener but despite measuring it I just can't seem to figure out what to actually search for!

It's absolutely tiny, 7/32 of an inch lengthwise with the diameter being 1/16th of an inch, well that's what I can see using a steel rule! I can count the crest of 10 threads, due to the tiny nature of it though I can't measure the pitch size. Also a Philips/slot pan head.

Anyone out there able to lend there expertise/common sense?

Hoping that among the PnB masses there's someone out there who can make sense out of the rather poorly put together information I'm about to throw around this post.

I like to go fishing every now and then and during a trip a screw/bolt/fastener that holds in the anti reverse lever fell out, despite this being a tiny bolt it renders the whole reel pretty much screwed(wehey), I've got a duplicate reel so I've got the same fastener but despite measuring it I just can't seem to figure out what to actually search for!

It's absolutely tiny, 7/32 of an inch lengthwise with the diameter being 1/16th of an inch, well that's what I can see using a steel rule! I can count the crest of 10 threads, due to the tiny nature of it though I can't measure the pitch size. Also a Philips/slot pan head.

If it's a metric thread you'll be looking at an M1.6 x 5mm

f**k knows if it's Imperial - I could never keep up

I was away to say almost the same except the length is closer to 6 (5.56) so maybe better with M1.6x6 and trim it if possible?

Google the reel, and try and get a component list!

Aye sadly not available, phoned up the company that made it but the guy who would be able to help is on holiday apparently.

Taking the plunge and ordering one,much thanks.

If it's a reel from a well known manufacturer then Google something like "Spare parts Shimano reels'. You'll find plenty of sites selling spares.

If it's something you bought from Lidl then chuck it in the bin and go out for a fish supper.

It is likely a metric thread as mentioned above. You don't need to know the tpi or pitch. It is either a machine screw (if it goes into a mating part, or a thread forming screw if it is cutting its own thread into metal or plastic. I'm guessing machine screw.

You haven't mentioned the head type, if it's a pan head you need to measure the length from under the head. If a countersunk you need to measure the whole screw.

I'm going to guess its a pan head and you have measured the overall length, which would make it a pan pozi machine screw M1.6 x 4 DIN7985. The extra 1.42mm in the length is the height of the head.

The last thing you need to determine is if it's stainless or mild steel and plated.

Archived