Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I'd like to see women play 5 sets. But I'd include a mercy rule, whereby if a player lost the first 2 sets easily then the role would kick in and the match would end.

Something like <4 games in 2 sets and you're done. But other than that let's see proper matches.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

OK, so when a players going through in straight sets victories

And the commentators former players etc are saying,  this is good as will be helping with fitness for the tournament 

They're wrong as it has no effect 

When it comes to Novak Djokovic, yes they are.  The man is quite possibly the fittest sports person in history, certainly the fittest tennis has ever seen.  He has proven time after time that he can fully recover from long matches to win in his next match.  A 4.5 hour match on grass isn't going to leave him spent now, never mind when he was 25.

I can't recall commentators claiming that Novak was over played or is tired.  Possibly the only time would have been last year's US Open.  But he was 34 and his powers of recuperation should be on the wane by now.

Now I am not saying that other players by being on court for longer than their opponent will not have an affect on their abilities to perform at the highest level manageable from a fitness perspective.  What I am saying is that it doesn't affect Novak in the slightest, especially when he was in his peak years 2011-2016 and even more recently he has shown that he can still recover from long matches to win.

So, no he wasn't spent physically in 2013.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'd like to see women play 5 sets. But I'd include a mercy rule, whereby if a player lost the first 2 sets easily then the role would kick in and the match would end.

Something like <4 games in 2 sets and you're done. But other than that let's see proper matches.

That could happen in the future, although your mercy rule should go straight in the bin.  The epic final between Edberg and Becker would have been stopped.  Gaston Gaudio would not be a slam champion.  Danil Medvedev's father Andrei would be a Slam champion, and Andre Agassi would still be waiting for that Career Slam.  You either play best of five or you don't.

We could see the earlier rounds in Men's going to best of three and fourth round onwards being best of five in both men's and women's.  The main issue with it is a logistical one rather than any unequal treatment.  There would be 112 matches on the women's side in the first three rounds needing extra court time to implement that.  Wimbledon is likely the only one to be available to fit it all in, but it would mean putting ,matches on the practice courts.

On 06/07/2022 at 19:51, IggyStooge said:

There was one point where Castlebot's circuitry actually seemed to freeze and he went on a wee loop of Nadalspeak.

"He's obviously ailing... he's obviously injured... He's obviously ailing... he's obviously injured."

Nadal's face freezing in disquiet and distaste when was told it was Kyrgios he will be playing was a picture, the excessive blinking and arse-picking halted for once, after awkwardly and shamefacedly narrating his way through Further Tales of Mysterious and Imaginary Injuries #3,769.

So mysterious and imaginary that he had to pull out the semi final. 

Must be a fairly serious injury for him to have to pull out the night before.
If there was even a tiny chance he could play he’d have got himself on the court and done the warm up, he could always have retired then if it wasn’t working.
You need to win 28 games to do the calendar grand slam, something no one has managed since Rod Laver 60 years ago. Nadal had won 19 of them, what a pity it’s injury and not another tennis player that’s stopped the potentially historic run.
And spare a thought for Taylor Fritz, who just lost the biggest match of his career in five sets to an injured 36 year old.

4 hours ago, Loki said:

That could happen in the future, although your mercy rule should go straight in the bin.  The epic final between Edberg and Becker would have been stopped.  Gaston Gaudio would not be a slam champion.  Danil Medvedev's father Andrei would be a Slam champion, and Andre Agassi would still be waiting for that Career Slam.  You either play best of five or you don't.

We could see the earlier rounds in Men's going to best of three and fourth round onwards being best of five in both men's and women's.  The main issue with it is a logistical one rather than any unequal treatment.  There would be 112 matches on the women's side in the first three rounds needing extra court time to implement that.  Wimbledon is likely the only one to be available to fit it all in, but it would mean putting ,matches on the practice courts.

I had to check to see if that was the case there 😂

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I had to check to see if that was the case there 😂

At least Binos is on the case to fact check my made up facts. Yes - Andrei is not officially Danil's father.  Although if it was best out of three I am sure Sergey would have been a slam champion instead of a software engineer!

16 minutes ago, Loki said:

At least Binos is on the case to fact check my made up facts. Yes - Andrei is not officially Danil's father.  Although if it was best out of three I am sure Sergey would have been a slam champion instead of a software engineer!

Daniil's hairline is certainly going the same way as Sergey's.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

What about best of 4 sets throughout the tournament (men and women) and if it goes to 2-2 you play a champion’s tiebreak? Then the semis and final can have a proper 5th set. 

Personally I thought it was a shame that they brought a tie break into the fifth set at Wimbledon.
‘Twas a fine concept, till serve bots like Isner came along with his big serve/no return game combo that led to two of his matches taking literal days.
Anyway, Norrie on court shortly. He needs to have the game of his life and hope Djokovic has an off day. If both of those things happen at the same time, he has an outside chance…

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

What about best of 4 sets throughout the tournament (men and women) and if it goes to 2-2 you play a champion’s tiebreak? Then the semis and final can have a proper 5th set. 

I can’t see anyone agreeing to that.  You may as well just make it best if three if you’re doing that.  

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Personally I thought it was a shame that they brought a tie break into the fifth set at Wimbledon.
‘Twas a fine concept, till serve bots like Isner came along with his big serve/no return game combo that led to two of his matches taking literal days.
Anyway, Norrie on court shortly. He needs to have the game of his life and hope Djokovic has an off day. If both of those things happen at the same time, he has an outside chance…

I agree, I thought they had a good compromise with the tie break at 12-12.  Although I do like that all the Slams now end in the same way.  The drama in that 5th set in 2019 wouldn’t happen today.