Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Fantastic win for Andy, he’s certainly got the Georgians number.
He will rightly be the big favourite in the next round against the Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel, who’s 28 and never been past the second round of a major.
He’s got a great chance of making the second week.

45 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

It appears the Australian Open crowd have aggressively adopted the Ronaldo “Siuuu”. Fairly cringy stuff as plenty of the players not into football will just take it as boos.

Wondered what was happening, as I thought it was boos when it happened to Andy, then it happened as Kyrgios came on to the court v Broady, and I thought maybe not :lol:

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

All the Grand Slams are 5th set tie break aren't they?

Andy with the classic Andy roller coaster here

Almost, three of the four have a tie break of some sort. In Australia it’s a champions tie break (first to 10) after 6-6 in the fifth.  French Open is still play until your two games clear.  Wimbledon is normal tie breaker after 12-12 in the fifth.  The US Open is tie breaker as normal in the fifth at 6-6.

Kyrgios looked pretty impressive today and will be absolutely relishing playing Medvedev.  That Aussie crowd cheering Kyrgios and annoying Medvedev should be comedy gold.   That could be extremely interesting.

Taro Daniel is decent but doesn’t have the weapons that Basilashvili has, not the defensive skill of Murray so it should be a good match up for him.  Daniel will serve well though or at least he has been through qualies.

Maybe not [emoji38]
And?
Her form coming in was poor & Stephens is an experienced Grand Slam player so wasn't an outlandish prediction.

Raducanu obviously upped her level back in front of a decent crowd & from what I saw played very well.

3 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

It appears the Australian Open crowd have aggressively adopted the Ronaldo “Siuuu”.

Any grown man doing this regardless of the situation, should immediately surrender all their electronic devices for forensic examination. 

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Almost, three of the four have a tie break of some sort. In Australia it’s a champions tie break (first to 10) after 6-6 in the fifth.  French Open is still play until your two games clear.  Wimbledon is normal tie breaker after 12-12 in the fifth.  The US Open is tie breaker as normal in the fifth at 6-6.

Kyrgios looked pretty impressive today and will be absolutely relishing playing Medvedev.  That Aussie crowd cheering Kyrgios and annoying Medvedev should be comedy gold.   That could be extremely interesting.

Taro Daniel is decent but doesn’t have the weapons that Basilashvili has, not the defensive skill of Murray so it should be a good match up for him.  Daniel will serve well though or at least he has been through qualies.

Cheers.

I knew there were odd tie breaks now, I was more concerned that Andy might not be up to a 47-45er in the 5th set if required!

Felt a wee bit sorry for Broady against Kyrgios, he seemed to play fine, but Kyrgios was almost unplayable at times.

Delighted for Radacanu, I know she is a GS champion, but facing Sloane Stephens on your AO debut is pretty challenging. Amazing that match was her first ever to go to 3 sets in a GD. Be hilarious if she became a GS animal, never winning a match outside them and strolling deep into the big ones

29 minutes ago, cdhafc1874 said:

And?
Her form coming in was poor & Stephens is an experienced Grand Slam player so wasn't an outlandish prediction.

Raducanu obviously upped her level back in front of a decent crowd & from what I saw played very well.

Just found it funny that an absolute NAP didn't happen. But aye, was expecting it to be a very tight match(the second set was more like what I expected going into the match). 3rd set seemed comfortable for raducanu

If it’s any consolation I also thought Sloane would win.  Raducanu loves a crowd, and just elevates her game.  Fernandez didn’t have such a good time in her first round though.   

Liam Broady is an excellent example of where hard work gets you,  didn’t have a world ranking during the pandemic.  But helped Murray train for the Battle of the Brits meets and has kicked on from there.  I thought he’d have a shot at Kyrgios, but even a man just out of isolation and little training can just turn it on.  

Third prediction (third time lucky) Kyrgios to beat Medvedev.  Cue a 6-2 6-2 6-1 win for the pantomime villain.