Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

There wasn’t really any other big names in that tournament, but still great stuff from Andy to get to the final.
The Russian who won is a decent player who had too much for Murray, but he won’t be winning the Australian Open.
Still, I think the 2022 AO is probably Andy’s best chance to have another run in a major.
It’s always been one of his best tournaments and he’s going into it in decent form and as fit as he’s ever going to be.
IMG_7504.jpg
The draw’s been kind too. He could have easily got a top player early doors and that would likely have been that, but with that draw you’d expect him to get to at least the third round. If it goes to seeding Sinner and Ruud are young up and comers who will be dangerous but are nothing to fear if Murray is in form. I hope and think he will get to the quarters.

Karatsev has done that to Djokovic and Medvedev.  He’s an exceptional player, very much in the Wawrinka mould where he can over power any opponent at anytime and there is nothing they can do about it.  Just a shame Murray couldn’t serve better to give him more of a chance.  Great week beating the second and fourth seed, and a first round win in Oz Open should see him back inside the top 100.

If there’s an adjournment in Novak’s trial it could make the draw interesting.  If the order of play comes out and Novak gets deported after that a Lucky Loser will become the #1 seed.  If Novak is deported before the order of play comes out, the seeds will be rejigged.  #3 will move to #1, #5 to #3, #9 to #5, #17 to #9, 33rd in list will be promoted to #17 seed.

Judges have retired to consider their verdict and are hoping to deliver it in the next few hours. The impression I got from the arguments is that Novak will be on the 22.30 Emirates flight to Dubai (local time) and will spend a few days in the Burj Al Arab to get over his Travelodge style torture.

Next hearing:

5:45 PM (AEDT), Sunday 16 January 2022: The hearing will be streamed live from the Federal Court's YouTube channel.

ETA 6.45 AM GMT

The Court will deliver its orders at 5.45pm (Melbourne time). Full reasons will be published at a later date."

Edited by Eednud

Fed Court 3-0 against Djokovic.

Live updates

1m ago1 minutes ago

By Jordan Hayne

ed188f3e-7749-44e2-9dbf-6117dc7facc3.jpg

Novak Djokovic has lost his Federal Court fight to stay in Australia

His application has been dismissed.

Edited by Eednud

Live updates

3m ago3 minutes ago

By Jordan Hayne

ed188f3e-7749-44e2-9dbf-6117dc7facc3.jpg

So what does this mean?

OK so that's the news we've been waiting all day to hear.

As Chief Justice James Allsop outlined before announcing the decision, the court's job was simply to consider whether the decision made by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was lawful, irrational or legally unreasonable.

The court found the grounds outlined by Novak Djokovic's lawyers failed to demonstrate that.

It means he'll be deported from Australia, will be unable to compete in the Australian Open and may face a ban on entry to Australia of up to three years.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Judges have retired to consider their verdict and are hoping to deliver it in the next few hours. The impression I got from the arguments is that Novak will be on the 22.30 Emirates flight to Dubai (local time) and will spend a few days in the Burj Al Arab to get over his Travelodge style torture.

N.B. :smartass

one.thumb.jpg.4142839eeae623be05dba52d38beb463.jpg

I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Apparently he could have avoided the whole mess by just quarantining for 2 weeks on arrival in Australia like other unvaccinated people. He didn't want to do that. 

Thinks he’s better than everybody else. An absolute helmet of an individual 

The mixed messaging he got from the Australian authorities were to blame too, especially Tennis Australia telling him he could get in if he could prove he'd caught Covid. 

Meanwhile Lucky Loser 150th-ranked Salvatore Caruso assumes No 1 seeding slot. :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The mixed messaging he got from the Australian authorities were to blame too, especially Tennis Australia telling him he could get in if he could prove he'd caught Covid. 

Meanwhile Lucky Loser 150th-ranked Salvatore Caruso assumes No 1 seeding slot. :lol:

It certainly opens the men’s tournament up cos let’s be honest, Djokovic would have walked it without even breaking sweat.

Tennis Australia need to have a good look at themselves..

shouting and bawling after the initial detention that this will let Tennis's governing body take the Open grand slam status away from Australia,

a shower of ineptitudes worried about losing their no doubt, high salaries.

I assume the 3 year ban on returning goes with the deportation....

shouting and bawling after the initial detention that this will let Tennis's governing body take the Open grand slam status away from Australia,

There hasn't been any word on any future denial of entry to Australia but I heard Russell Fuller talking earlier saying that the next tournament he was due to play was Indian Wells and that California has similarly tight entry rules

There hasn't been any word on any future denial of entry to Australia but I heard Russell Fuller talking earlier saying that the next tournament he was due to play was Indian Wells and that California has similarly tight entry rules
If that's the case, just don't let him in in first place. Whole thing has been a political farce

25 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
44 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

He's got an automatic 3 year ban that goes along with having his visa cancelled. He can appeal it on compassionate grounds or special circumstances.