Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

1 minute ago, resk said:

I noticed it too.  They said in commentary that a lot of the calls are automated in the US Open - is it some click to indicate to the player receiving the serve that the ball has cleared the net without touching it?  

Actually that seems quite outlandish when I read it back.  

I'm pretty sure the ball isn't actually hitting the net, as it is unlikely it would be happening virtually every serve. Just some weird sound effect or echo. f**k knows.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

It was a good day for English tennis.  She’s English after all.  When Andy Murray won it was great for Scottish Tennis. I don’t really see the issue.

When Andy won it was a great day for British tennis for all the English people I know.

I know you’re not confrontational or argumentative on this thread.  I also don’t wish to even try to provoke you into it but I do think you’re incredibly naive.

I don’t want to sidetrack this into a Scotland/England thing.

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Something that was annoying me throughout the game.  Seemed like after every service when the ball passed the net you could hear a noise and I was expecting a let call that never came.  Anyone know what the noises were all about?

That was constantly annoying, and it's been going all the whole tournament. It sounds exactly the same as a let.

8 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm pretty sure the ball isn't actually hitting the net, as it is unlikely it would be happening virtually every serve. Just some weird sound effect or echo. f**k knows.

Aye, it's definitely not hitting the net.  If it was hitting the net then the players wouldn't be playing on because it would be a fault or a let.  

It's weird, it's the sound you're used to hearing before a fault or let is called because the ball has hit the net, but in this case they're playing on.  

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

When Andy won it was a great day for British tennis for all the English people I know.

I know you’re not confrontational or argumentative on this thread.  I also don’t wish to even try to provoke you into it but I do think you’re incredibly naive.

I don’t want to sidetrack this into a Scotland/England thing.

It's nothing about naivety.  You can not control how someone else describes a "nationality".  So why even bother being enraged by it?  Yes they may be doing it to deliberately incite or provoke a reaction, but it doesn't matter.  She's British, she's English and I dare say that she will feel Canadian, Chinese or Romanian at times.  To you and I she's a marvellous credit to British tennis.  To someone living in England she will be English.

However the most beautiful; thing is it may get people in England to think more openly about what it takes to be English.

The only times I ever thought of Andy Murray as British was when he was representing GB at the Davis Cup or in the Olympics.  All his other achievements were for Scottish Tennis only.

23 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Something that was annoying me throughout the game.  Seemed like after every service when the ball passed the net you could hear a noise and I was expecting a let call that never came.  Anyone know what the noises were all about?

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Yea I was the same. It must have been there foot hitting the deck after the service 

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm glad this wasn't just me. Wasn't just today either, have noticed it all tournament.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That was constantly annoying, and it's been going all the whole tournament. It sounds exactly the same as a let.

Thank f**k it wasn't just me hearing that 🤣. I've no idea either, as you were 😂

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

It's nothing about naivety.  You can not control how someone else describes a "nationality".  So why even bother being enraged by it?  Yes they may be doing it to deliberately incite or provoke a reaction, but it doesn't matter.  She's British, she's English and I dare say that she will feel Canadian, Chinese or Romanian at times.  To you and I she's a marvellous credit to British tennis.  To someone living in England she will be English.

However the most beautiful; thing is it may get people in England to think more openly about what it takes to be English.

The only times I ever thought of Andy Murray as British was when he was representing GB at the Davis Cup or in the Olympics.  All his other achievements were for Scottish Tennis only.

Lots of good points there. I was happy to think Murray was representing Scotland and Britain. I've never understood why it has to be one or the other. Why not both?

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

Thank f**k it wasn't just me hearing that 🤣. I've no idea either, as you were 😂

It is the whip of their pony tails hitting the back and shoulder area after their serving motion.  I bet you don't hear it in tomorrow's final.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Lots of good points there. I was happy to think Murray was representing Scotland and Britain. I've never understood why it has to be one or the other. Why not both?

That’s how I feel but like I said I don’t want to sidetrack this.  Did Andy being scottish make me happier?  Yep.  Does Emma being English make me less happy?  Nope.

Hope you can get where I’m coming from as I know it makes no logical sense.

Just now, Forest_Fifer said:

Another refreshing thing about that game was that we had 2 young female players who didn't see the need to bellow and scream at the top of their lungs everything they hit the ball. I can't watch women's tennis normally because of it.

Not just women, either. Nadal is just as annoying/bad.

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm not sure.

Perhaps ask Alan Shearer.