Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He has a very Lleyton Hewitt- like career now.  A former world number one now in his mid thirties, getting to the 2nd/3rd round of every tournament he plays.

He has a very Lleyton Hewitt- like career now.  A former world number one now in his mid thirties, getting to the 2nd/3rd round of every tournament he plays.

Murray said in an interview after ‘my level is about 50/60 in the world’ and he’s right.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/andy-murray-spells-out-where-his-level-is-after-losing-to-frances-tiafoe-in-winston-salem-3358692%3Famp
Nothing wrong with that, those guys make decent money and he will win a few matches here and there, might even get a run in an ATP event.
It’s hard to see him ever beating a top 10 player or reaching the second week of a major again though. He’s 34, he’s not going to be getting any better.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Murray said in an interview after ‘my level is about 50/60 in the world’ and he’s right.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/andy-murray-spells-out-where-his-level-is-after-losing-to-frances-tiafoe-in-winston-salem-3358692%3Famp
Nothing wrong with that, those guys make decent money and he will win a few matches here and there, might even get a run in an ATP event.
It’s hard to see him ever beating a top 10 player or reaching the second week of a major again though. He’s 34, he’s not going to be getting any better.

Yep, and I expect that will be the case too.  If he was say, 27/28 just now, it may be different, but not at 34.

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:
11 hours ago, GordonS said:
Currently watching him play Tiafoe, early in the first set. Murray is no longer a brick wall, that's for sure.
If he can get through this there's no-one ranked above 59 in this path to the quarters, or 42 until the final, so he has the chance to string some matches together if he can stay fit and play well. Tiafoe's only ranked 51 but he's capable of being very dangerous.

A 7-6, 6-3 win for Tiafoe.

Andy pushed hard and had break points to win the first set. In days of yore he'd have won the set, broken early in the next and cruised on. Instead, his level dipped in the tie-break and he carried that into the second set, getting broken twice.

Tiafoe is looking good though, he's always a good watch but he's becoming more disciplined and focussed. 

The errors Murray was making was again technical rather than physical.  He had chances to take the first set, and even when a double break down in the second he really had an opportunity to get back on serve, being 0-30 but silly errors cost him.

Another couple of matches under his belt.  The draw for the US Open is Friday, so will need a lot of help to make it through a couple of rounds.

This will be the first Slam since 1997 without one of Federer, Nadal or Serena.  The golden era of tennis is just about over 😢

On 25/08/2021 at 13:47, Loki said:

The errors Murray was making was again technical rather than physical.  He had chances to take the first set, and even when a double break down in the second he really had an opportunity to get back on serve, being 0-30 but silly errors cost him.

Another couple of matches under his belt.  The draw for the US Open is Friday, so will need a lot of help to make it through a couple of rounds.

This will be the first Slam since 1997 without one of Federer, Nadal or Serena.  The golden era of tennis is just about over 😢

Not a fan of Djokovic? I'm not.

The stress of being out injured for so long seems to have affected Murray's mental strength and judgement.

I think Novak could be susceptible in the early rounds, and maybe show signs of pressure.  Nishikori in the third might be interesting.  He is the overwhelming favourite, but as much as he’s the greatest hard court player ever, he’s only won the US Open three times.  I think the crowd upsets him.

Murray’s draw is tough, but he will be more likely to do something against a top seed in the first round than the third.  He has nothing to lose.  He will be a large underdog, and if he was to win he effectively becomes a top seed.  He will have to be more aggressive with his backhand as Tsitsipas will go backhand to backhand all day long.

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Not a fan of Djokovic? I'm not.

The stress of being out injured for so long seems to have affected Murray's mental strength and judgement.

Novak plays his first slam in 2005 so isn’t needed for that stat.

I think Novak is the greatest male player, but I don’t particularly like him when he’s on a tennis court.

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’ve just put this back on, what’s the issue with his shoes?

Excellent break of serve. Great to see.

It’s so humid that he’s sweated so much that his socks and shoes are soaked with sweat, which caused him to slip when 6-4 up in the tie break.