Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Fifth set was a bit of an anti-climax. Still good experience for him and he will do better in the future. Main problem was he had too many unforced errors and in first 2 sets he was not really aggresive enough. If he could get his first serve percentage up it would be very hard for opponents to break him as he has some power.

Power but no stamina - unable to complete 5 sets again and moans far too much.

662709[/snapback]

Top 25 in the world by this time next year and no fitness problems at all.

He will be a top 10 player and eclipse Tim Henmann's achievements as he has a better game for all surfaces and a much better serve.

I thought at points last night was the best he has played. Great performance.

Guest Insight

So he gets to 5 sets against Nalbandian and crumbles

Gets to 5 sets against Pavel and has to have a 20 minute break while he pukes his guts up and therefore upsets Pavel's rythmn

Last night he gets to 5 sets and gets the trainer

He is 18 FFS and should be in his physical prime!

He is 18 FFS and should be in his physical prime!

662769[/snapback]

When you were 18 you could have played over 4 hours of top level tennis could you? ;)

He has been training at a tennis school that puts the emphasis on developing skills, rather than purely fitness. Hence the fact he has a high level of technical ability.

He is also very tall and hasnt filled his frame yet. He's just a boy and in the same way that 18 year old footballers grow in power and physical strength, so will he.

There are a number of British players in better physical shape that could go 5 sets no bother. They may be more to your liking.

Unfortunately they wouldnt reach the 4 th set as they'd have been beasted love, love and love :rolleyes:

f**k - when i was a lad.........(cue Hovis bread music)...........i could run about datf for more than 4 hours :)  ;)

662821[/snapback]

When I were a lad, we didn't have any of this "sportade" - we 'ad to drink water, and if we didn't like it, we'd go thirsty. Still, we played from when it were light until it were dark. ;);)

• 3 weeks later...

Britain are playing Switzerland in the Davis Cup this weekend and the draw was made today for the matches.

I was hoping Murray would be drawn against Federer, to see how good a match he would give him. Unfortunately, Mackin has been given that honour and Murray will be playing a guy I have never heard of, although he is ranked 60 in the world.

Come on the Scots B)

I think the theory is that Federer will beat whoever he faces so we'll pretty much give them that match without weakening Rusedski or Murray. Murray then has to beat the other dude and we then need to somehow win the doubles to go 2-1 up. We lose again to Federer and then Rusedski beats the other Swiss player to win 3-2

That's the theory....

Is Mackin any good? I saw him win the Scottish Open at Craiglockhart back in May, but the standard of opposition in the first couple of rounds was terrible so that maybe doesn't say much.

He seems to have been around for a while but hasn't made the step up to being a permanent fixture on the proper tour.

Don't know if Mackin is any good or not, but i think he is going to need a miracle against Federer in any case.

Since the GB team have picked Murray and Mackin for the Friday singles, does that mean they have to play the same two in the Sunday singles?

If that is the case then Murray could be playing Federer potentially to win the whole tie.