Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

More fun stats.
Since Andy Murray won his first slam, the US Open in 2012, the 34 slams have been won by:
Cilic 1
Thiem 1
Wawrinka 3
Murray 3
Federer 3
Nadal 9 (6 French and 3 US) 
Djokovic 14
That's much more open than i thought it was.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
14 hours ago, GordonS said:
More fun stats.
Since Andy Murray won his first slam, the US Open in 2012, the 34 slams have been won by:
Cilic 1
Thiem 1
Wawrinka 3
Murray 3
Federer 3
Nadal 9 (6 French and 3 US) 
Djokovic 14

Basically, joker has been the most powerful force in men's tennis in last decade

Yes, though what stood out for me is how few Federer has in that time. He's only joint-most successful Swiss player...

Much as I prefer Federer and Nadal it's hard to argue that Djokovic isn't the best of this era.

Yes, though what stood out for me is how few Federer has in that time. He's only joint-most successful Swiss player...
Much as I prefer Federer and Nadal it's hard to argue that Djokovic isn't the best of this era.
I think this is Djokovic's issue, he seems to want to be loved because he's been the best. Anyone who is anyone in tennis circles can see this but to the fair weather supporter its always Federer and Nadal.
For instance my sister (fair weather Wimbledon supporter only) texted me yesterday evening saying, omg Fed is getting hammered...I merely replied hes nearly 40 ffs [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I think this is Djokovic's issue, he seems to want to be loved because he's been the best. Anyone who is anyone in tennis circles can see this but to the fair weather supporter its always Federer and Nadal.
For instance my sister (fair weather Wimbledon supporter only) texted me yesterday evening saying, omg Fed is getting hammered...I merely replied hes nearly 40 ffs emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

I really don't want to admit that Djokovic is the best but the facts are pretty much impossible to argue with. I'd always much rather watch Federer and Nadal though, there's something brutal and mechanical about Djokovic's game. 

Interesting first semi this. Hurkacz got bagelled in the second to go two sets down and looked dead and buried. He’s bounced back in the third and won it in a tie break.
Been some fantastic serving from both players.
On that, watched some of the boys tournament earlier. Seventeen year old Macedonian Ivanovski was serving at 125mph ffs [emoji16]

Hoping for an Italian double in London on Sunday.

And they’ve won Eurovision aswell, Italian treble on the cards.
Berrettini has been knocking on the grand slam final door for a couple of years now so no surprise he’s finally made it through to one. Happy for him he seems a nice guy.
He did cause Novak some problems at the quarter final of the French a few weeks ago, but ultimately lost in four. The grass should give him more of a chance but with Novak’s return game being the best in the business it’s hard to see him lifting the trophy.
All assuming Novak beats Shapovalov next, of course.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m watching today with interest to see if any of Shapovalov, Berrettini or Hurkacz look like knocking Djokovic off his perch. He’s not getting any younger.

I can see Shapovalov giving Djokovic a fright - maybe more.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I can see Shapovalov giving Djokovic a fright - maybe more.

Andy Murray is surely watching the QFs and SFs at Wimbledon and feeling a bit better about losing to the likes of Berrettini and Shapalov.

35 minutes ago, Lex said:

And they’ve won Eurovision aswell, Italian treble on the cards.
Berrettini has been knocking on the grand slam final door for a couple of years now so no surprise he’s finally made it through to one. Happy for him he seems a nice guy.
He did cause Novak some problems at the quarter final of the French a few weeks ago, but ultimately lost in four. The grass should give him more of a chance but with Novak’s return game being the best in the business it’s hard to see him lifting the trophy.
All assuming Novak beats Shapovalov next, of course.

I hadn't seen much of Berrettini before Queens and it was immediately obvious that the guy can play on grass. His ranking would have been even higher if it hadn't been for the Covid adjustments.

I can't see him beating Novak but I could see him beating Shapovalov, and Shapovalov has the game to beat Novak.

Well, we can hope.

29 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Andy Murray is surely watching the QFs and SFs at Wimbledon and feeling a bit better about losing to the likes of Berrettini and Shapalov.

Even at his best he'd have found Shapovalov very tough to beat in this form. And he's only going to keep getting better.

Was a good first set from the Canadian. He served well, played well, got an early break and dominated the opening exchanges.
He was serving for it at 5-4 and then he tightened up and got nervous. Missed a sitter at 30 all for set point, then went on to lose his serve and the set on a tie break, double faulting on Novak’s fist set point.
Understandable choke really, this is his first ever grand slam semi final.
Djokovic doing his classic and well tested rope-a-dope routine. Hanging in there, getting the counter punches in and then winning the set. Air of inevitability about how this is going to end.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Would be something else if the youngster recovers from that first set to beat the goat in a grand slam semi, but stranger things have happened.
Novak beats guys like this with such devastating routine that you just come to expect it.
Shapovalov just lost a game there by stopping and challenging a ball that was on the line mid rally. Madness, looks like his head is going.