Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I think he was always out of it, he’s just finally accepted it.  He’d need to hard quarantine for 14 days, it starts two weeks Monday.  He obviously tried to negotiate training time in quarantine and they’ve flat out refused it.

You had to be on one of the chartered flights to get entry, and he wasn’t on one.  It’s quite cool to see the government just slapping down all these tennis players requests.  Entirely justified as one of the tennis players in hard quarantine tested positive today on day 7.

On 18/01/2021 at 12:45, Mr. Brightside said:

Very much enjoying the players (particularly Djokovic) getting absolutely telt so far, hope it continues.

The Premier of Victoria has been absolutely bang on with regards to some of the players demands. If I recall correctly Victoria was under an uber strict lockdown for almost 2 months, where they managed to all but eradicate any rise in Covid infections. As the Premier said, the Australian Open is an important tournament but it isn’t more important than the public’s health. We have seen in Scotland how this disease can rip through the population, even when at the back end of the summer  we had numerous consecutive days of zero deaths and a very low infection rate, and now look where we are. 

For Djokovic to be the guy sending a letter of demands, after what happened at his tournament in Belgrade, shows a staggering lack of self awareness. I’m sure I read that someone lost their life to Covid, and their infection could be directly traced back to the outbreak at that tournament. His wife has been quoted making claims that Covid is caused by 5G radiation, and there is still strong rumours around Djokovic himself and his ‘gluten free diet’, which happened to coincide with a massive upturn in his stamina and a completely different upper body stature. He went from a distant 3rd before the diet change, comfortably behind Nadal and Federer, to number 1 after it. He’s also went through short but drastic dips in performance during his career, something which the experts say can be a symptom of doping. Also remember that he was very vocal in support of Sharapova when she tested positive for Meldonium, pleading with the media to treat her as innocent until it had been proven beyond doubt. He has also pointed the finger at other unnamed players, claiming that tennis has a doping problem, very similar to the sort of stuff Lance Armstrong used to come out with before he was found to be the biggest drugs cheat in the history of his sport.

As much as he is still an absolutely phenomenal tennis player, he has always seemed to have a strange aura around him. He doesn’t seem to be loved by the fans in the same way Federer and Nadal are, and I don’t think he’s particularly popular amongst the players either. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

The Premier of Victoria has been absolutely bang on with regards to some of the players demands. If I recall correctly Victoria was under an uber strict lockdown for almost 2 months, where they managed to all but eradicate any rise in Covid infections. As the Premier said, the Australian Open is an important tournament but it isn’t more important than the public’s health. We have seen in Scotland how this disease can rip through the population, even when at the back end of the summer  we had numerous consecutive days of zero deaths and a very low infection rate, and now look where we are. 

For Djokovic to be the guy sending a letter of demands, after what happened at his tournament in Belgrade, shows a staggering lack of self awareness. I’m sure I read that someone lost their life to Covid, and their infection could be directly traced back to the outbreak at that tournament. His wife has been quoted making claims that Covid is caused by 5G radiation, and there is still strong rumours around Djokovic himself and his ‘gluten free diet’, which happened to coincide with a massive upturn in his stamina and a completely different upper body stature. He went from a distant 3rd before the diet change, comfortably behind Nadal and Federer, to number 1 after it. He’s also went through short but drastic dips in performance during his career, something which the experts say can be a symptom of doping. Also remember that he was very vocal in support of Sharapova when she tested positive for Meldonium, pleading with the media to treat her as innocent until it had been proven beyond doubt. He has also pointed the finger at other unnamed players, claiming that tennis has a doping problem, very similar to the sort of stuff Lance Armstrong used to come out with before he was found to be the biggest drugs cheat in the history of his sport.
As much as he is still an absolutely phenomenal tennis player, he has always seemed to have a strange aura around him. He doesn’t seem to be loved by the fans in the same way Federer and Nadal are, and I don’t think he’s particularly popular amongst the players either. 
I think djokovic is the chair of the players association which would explain why the letter came from him.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think djokovic is the chair of the players association which would explain why the letter came from him.

Was that not a self appointed role, when he tried to form a breakaway players union? Cant see anything official online that says he holds that role. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 07/02/2021 at 10:40, TheScarf said:
Dan Evans wins his 1st ATP title.

Took its toll, just been papped out by Norrie

Yeah saw a bit of it.  Norrie was hitting through him.

Aye it was a solid performance on serve, not put under pressure at all.  The key to his comeback is his serve.   Return of serve was eventually in, went through a variety of shots to get practice in.  

Match point in typical Murray fashion with a lobbed winner.  Nothing to get too excited about as it is challenger level, but certainly more encouraging than his last attempt at the challenger tour.

Plays Gian Marco next who is ranked 230.  Max Marterer once won 11 games off Nadal at Roland Garros, not many have achieved that.

Aye it was a solid performance on serve, not put under pressure at all.  The key to his comeback is his serve.   Return of serve was eventually in, went through a variety of shots to get practice in.  

Match point in typical Murray fashion with a lobbed winner.  Nothing to get too excited about as it is challenger level, but certainly more encouraging than his last attempt at the challenger tour.
Plays Gian Marco next who is ranked 230.  Max Marterer once won 11 games off Nadal at Roland Garros, not many have achieved that.

Is the tournament on Clay? Anyone who can win 11 games against Nadal in Paris must be pretty handy on that surface

48 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Is the tournament on Clay? Anyone who can win 11 games against Nadal in Paris must be pretty handy on that surface

No this is indoor.  It was just a riposte to the some random jobber jibe.

Danland goes into 5 day lockdown but tennis players classified as essential workers so the Australian Open continues. No spectators though but not sure if that’s from tonight or tomorrow.

ETA: Spectators tonight then none from Saturday to Wednesday at this stage.

Edited by Eednud