Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy’s return position really isn’t smart here. Way too aggressive for the second serve on clay especially when Wawrinka generates so much kick.

His first serve percentage is also very very low.

Can’t see it getting much better tbh
Nope, very few positives so far. Stan hitting the ball much better, his prep on clay courts seems to be serving him well.

Andy is saying positive things about getting back in the top 50, but the performances aren't matching it at the moment. As I posted a while back, he isn't sharp enough to win matches, and can't find a way to win enough matches to get that sharpness. Think he needs to play some Challenger level events to try and get up to speed.

This is going to be a quick and painful defeat on what we have seen do far.

Nope, very few positives so far. Stan hitting the ball much better, his prep on clay courts seems to be serving him well.

Andy is saying positive things about getting back in the top 50, but the performances aren't matching it at the moment. As I posted a while back, he isn't sharp enough to win matches, and can't find a way to win enough matches to get that sharpness. Think he needs to play some Challenger level events to try and get up to speed.

This is going to be a quick and painful defeat on what we have seen do far.

3 or 4 challenger tour events would be ideal. This match reminds me of his match v Gasquet at Cincinnati last year. His weight of shot is miles away from where it needs to be and honestly Wawrinka isn’t doing anything special regardless of the commentary wankfest - Koepfer can test him a lot in the next round.

Id imagine he will play the two tournaments in Germany and and then think about next season.  His injury in Davis Cup impeded this whole season.

Obviously something going on with his serve, its just not functioning well at all.  That was easy for Stan today.  But Stan is one of the few players that can hit himself through this court.  Extra time with the ball bounce allows to adjust and steamroll winners.

Personally I think Andy needs a new set of eyes in his team.  Magnus Norman has left Stan and is available.  Have a new coach in for the new season.  And build from there.  What more can Jamie Delgado teach him?

Without Jamie he wouldn't have made number one.  But think his time has come to an end.

I think on faster surfaces and grass he will still have opportunities to go deep.  But not if he continues to gift service games to his opponent.

I certainly wouldn't write him off, as he is Andy Murray after all.

Id imagine he will play the two tournaments in Germany and and then think about next season.  His injury in Davis Cup impeded this whole season.
Obviously something going on with his serve, its just not functioning well at all.  That was easy for Stan today.  But Stan is one of the few players that can hit himself through this court.  Extra time with the ball bounce allows to adjust and steamroll winners.
Personally I think Andy needs a new set of eyes in his team.  Magnus Norman has left Stan and is available.  Have a new coach in for the new season.  And build from there.  What more can Jamie Delgado teach him?
Without Jamie he wouldn't have made number one.  But think his time has come to an end.
I think on faster surfaces and grass he will still have opportunities to go deep.  But not if he continues to gift service games to his opponent.
I certainly wouldn't write him off, as he is Andy Murray after all.

His serve has never been his strongest suit, but it was particularly poor today, and he has always toiled on clay. Conditions and the balls probably didn't help but tbf he has said that was nothing to do with his performance. Whatever else he works on in the coming weeks his serve has to be a big part of it as he will struggle to beat anyone serving like that. One of his best spells was when he wasn't trying to hit his first serve flat out all the time, instead he was going at about 95% and trying to place it more. I really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, but I'm not optimistic.

His serve has never been his strongest suit, but it was particularly poor today, and he has always toiled on clay. Conditions and the balls probably didn't help but tbf he has said that was nothing to do with his performance. Whatever else he works on in the coming weeks his serve has to be a big part of it as he will struggle to beat anyone serving like that. One of his best spells was when he wasn't trying to hit his first serve flat out all the time, instead he was going at about 95% and trying to place it more. I really hope he can get back to somewhere near his best, but I'm not optimistic.
I think Murray is reflecting too after that crushing defeat. He should give it one more push for next year's Wimbledon.