Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Watching Andy's greatest moments on BBC1 just now. The boy is just magnificent. 3 Grand Slams, 2 Olympic Golds, and he was World Number 1 in an era dominated by 3 of the 4 greatest players ever (Laver's record surely puts him in with a shout). Also a further 8 Grand Slam finals, and the only 2 players to beat him at that stage are Federer and Djokovic.

He is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson by a country mile, and if you disagree (a) you are wrong, and (b) you better start heading for Ruel Street, and you can pick your maw up on the way.

Yes just watching this in the i-player. What an absolute legend he is. Brilliant stuff.

Edit to add. Why am I tense watching this [emoji23]

On 04/07/2020 at 15:07, Mark Connolly said:

He is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson by a country mile, and if you disagree (a) you are wrong, and (b) you better start heading for Ruel Street, and you can pick your maw up on the way.

Boris Becker strongly advises against this.

Watching Andy's greatest moments on BBC1 just now. The boy is just magnificent. 3 Grand Slams, 2 Olympic Golds, and he was World Number 1 in an era dominated by 3 of the 4 greatest players ever (Laver's record surely puts him in with a shout). Also a further 8 Grand Slam finals, and the only 2 players to beat him at that stage are Federer and Djokovic.
Watching on the iPlayer the now. The Olympic Games win in London was peak Murray really. Aggressive, smashing down aces at 130 odd mph and that double-handed backhand up the line... [emoji3059]

He’s undoubtedly Scotland’s greatest ever sportsperson. There’s an argument there for Britain’s greatest too. Given the competition he’s had to face his whole career. I can’t think of any other sportsperson who has had to battle 3 of the greatest players of their sport. Maybe even the 3 greatest.

He’s undoubtedly Scotland’s greatest ever sportsperson. There’s an argument there for Britain’s greatest too. Given the competition he’s had to face his whole career. I can’t think of any other sportsperson who has had to battle 3 of the greatest players of their sport. Maybe even the 3 greatest.
Undoubtedly the 3 greatest

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Watching the old finals on BBC2, forgot how good Ivanisevic v Rafter was, played on the Monday with the tickets sold on a first come first served basis.

That was the year Henman utterly shat himself in the semi wasn't it?

I know he did that a few times, but IIRC he got 2-1 up then lost a tie break amongst a pile of rain delays, and blew it in 5

That was the year Henman utterly shat himself in the semi wasn't it?
I know he did that a few times, but IIRC he got 2-1 up then lost a tie break amongst a pile of rain delays, and blew it in 5
Yep, think you are right. Henman had beaten Federer in the Quarter Final, but then lost to Ivanisevic much like you said. Goran had also beaten Rusedski.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC Scotland showing a round up of Scotland's medal winners at Rio 2016. Obviously delighted that Murray won gold, but you couldn't really have grudged Delpo a win considering everything he had gone through to get there.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

BBC Scotland showing a round up of Scotland's medal winners at Rio 2016. Obviously delighted that Murray won gold, but you couldn't really have grudged Delpo a win considering everything he had gone through to get there.

He's probably my favourite player ever, after Andy and Mansour Bahrami.

• 4 weeks later...