Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Gasquet has been playing for years (despite being only 20) and is too inconsistent, and I don't think Monfils has the correct temperament for the big occasion.

It's not to say they wont be good tour players, because they will, but I don't see either of them being top 3 material.

Of course, there may well be a relative unkown just now who in 5 years will be top dog. After all, three years ago neither Murray nor Nadal were anywhere close to where they are now, so it's very possible a young challenger will break through.

I certainly think Djokovic will be thereabouts in 5 years time, he is already proving that he will be (remember he was ranked higher than Murray for Aus Open). The reason for Gael Monfils temperament at the moment is the fact he does'nt have a coach at the minute and played the Aus Open without one but if he played like he did against Baghdatis then he can beat most people, and i think Murray doesn't have the right temperament aswell at the moment by continually yelling at his corner etc once he stops that then he might get past the quarter-final stage in a major.

After all that, Nadal just got humped by the guy Murray beat in the US Open! :lol:

Fernando Gonzalez was far too powerful for Nadal and he also has the biggest forehand in Tennis, and is ranked #10. I think he can power his way through Tommy Haas in the semi which i hope he does.

After all that, Nadal just got humped by the guy Murray beat in the US Open! :lol:

Nadal was a shadow of himself though, he was throwing in unforced errors all over the place. A great contrast to his match against Murray where there really werent many cheap points at all. Credit to Gonzalez too, great performance.

I would agree with the argument that Nadal is an excellent player, the best of the rest, but Federer is on a level above (look at the way he just demolished Andy Roddick!).

Good to see further Scottish success at the Aussie Open...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6297437.stm

I know this kid, my dad and his dad have been playing tennis together for years and I remember watching him play when he was really young. Hope he continues to progress, next couple of years will be crucial.

For anyone who has any doubts that Federer will continue to dominate mens tennis for as long as he wants (Stewarty :lol:), check out today's match ;)

Nadal, Roddick and co aren't playing the same sport.

• 4 weeks later...
:lol:

He'll do a Bjorn Borg and chuck it before he hits 30.

I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm impressed that he still seems to have the same hunger for trophies now that he did 5 years ago.

When he breaks Sampras's Slam record, wins the French and wins the Davis Cup for Switzerland I wonder whether he will lose the fire a bit.

Another great win, he's having an excellent start to 2007. Karlovic will be a tough one but Murray will have every chance.

Would tip Murray to win this. Karlovic has a big serve but f**k all else and Murray having such a good return, should cope. Don't quote me on that though (unless I am right of course :rolleyes: ).

What's that about ?

Does that mean if he loses the final he will have lost ranking points overall for the tournament i.e he would have been better staying at home ? :)

Nope, because if he had stayed at home he'd have lost even more points.

<_<<_<

Say for example Federer only entered the 4 grand slams and won all 4. Then the next season he only entered the 4 again, and won 3. Does that mean he would be minus points for the season ?

It means he would get less points than he got the season before, yep.

If I get 100 points for winning Tourney X on February 1st 2006, I have 100 points from that week contributing to my ranking for the whole year.

Then, when I come back to defend Tourney X on February 1st 2007, my ranking for last year was based on 100 points from Tourney X.

If I lose in the semis and only get 50 points, I am effectively 50 points down from where I was last year.

If I didn't bother my arse to play at all that week, I would have 0 points, and have lost 100 points from my ranking.

What's that about ?

Does that mean if he loses the final he will have lost ranking points overall for the tournament i.e he would have been better staying at home ? :)

HB has covered it pretty well. Murray has shot up the rankings in the last couple of years because he has been picking up ranking points when he had none/not many to defend from the previous year.

HB has covered it pretty well. Murray has shot up the rankings in the last couple of years because he has been picking up ranking points when he had none/not many to defend from the previous year.

It's actually quite good news for him overall I think.

He did virtually nothing in the clay court season last time round, so he should be picking up points quite easily even with moderate Masters Series performances in Europe in the spring/early summer.

He needs to win to avoid dropping any ranking points.

But he could still well rise up the rankings even if he loses in this final and effectively drops x amount of points.

Of course, this is downm to how relatively well the other competitiors around him in the rankings who entered both this year and last, did.