Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

2 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Jamie Murray in the doubles final. WTF is going on ?

The Andy Murray effect finally starting to rub off perhaps?  Dedication and training wise I mean.  Not on Jamie of course, he's been a top 20 doubles player for most of his career.

Good draw for Murray. Nishikori in the quarters is tricky but I always fancy Murray against him due to Nishikori's crap serve and Murray's return. Would be surprised if Federer reached the quarters instead and even if he did I wouldn't have many concerns. And think it's better to be in Wawrinka's half, mainly because it's quite likely he wont get that far given how hot and cold he blows, plus Raonic is getting better and better and had match point on Murray in their last meeting (as well as being a set and a break up). I think he's not far off a big win against Djokovic or Murray. Also there are a few in Djokovic's half who on their day could beat him - Verdasco in R1, Dimitrov who was great last week and either Nadal/Raonic.

Really pleased for Gilles Muller.  That's his first ATP win, and he is a very dedicated professional, unlike Evans.

The schedule for the AUS Open is out, and Murray's first match is third on Margaret Court Arena on Monday (around 4am our time).  The most interesting thing about this is that they have went with Murray's half to start with rather than the defending champion.  Meaning that Murray's half will have the extra days rest between semi final and final.

Even though it's to Murray's advantage and has been to Djokovic's in the past, I never could quite understand that.

Does that mean his semi-final, should he make it, will be Thursday morning here I assume?

Murray is on Rod Laver rather than Margaret Court, btw.

Edited by Elixir

Even though it's to Murray's advantage and has been to Djokovic's in the past, I never could quite understand that.
Does that mean his semi-final, should he make it, will be Thursday morning here I assume?
Murray is on Rod Laver rather than Margaret Court, btw.

Yes, Murray semi will be Thursday ( if makes it) Jokers Friday. Final Sunday. Interesting enough up until recently most tournament winners came from Fridays semi.
Good to see he's on laver. He is not a fan of Margaret court due to less baseline space

Suppose if you're not in too long a match it shouldn't make all that much difference, but Murray with Raonic last year and Federer in 2013 definitely seemed to. Did Djokovic have an extra day in 2012 between his two mammoth matches?

It could be all important this year, though. I don't like it but Djokovic has had it before, so it evens things out a little.

I'm quite sure that stats show that playing 5 setters in previous matches don't really affect the elite players performances very much.

Edited by ayrmad

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

I'm quite sure that stats show that playing 5 setters in previous matches don't really affect the elite players performances very much.

Perhaps, but I'm sure some tennis pundits were saying recently that Murray maybe doubted himself physically in long matches with Djokovic, although that has lessened now. So perhaps having a long match before playing Novak would still weigh on his mind somewhat, more so in the past.

It is with great sadness that I need to report that Andy is going to win the AO in a couple of weeks, and no more slams.  I'm fairly happy with him winning 4 though.  A very decent return, having to deal with 3 of the best ever all at the same time.

Those stats don't necessarily take it into account the positive effect of 'gluten free' diets and how much of an impact post Sharapova there has been on certain vegan players......

Perhaps, but I'm sure some tennis pundits were saying recently that Murray maybe doubted himself physically in long matches with Djokovic, although that has lessened now. So perhaps having a long match before playing Novak would still weigh on his mind somewhat, more so in the past.

More relevant tho is how much more focus there is on drug cheating these days especially tennis.....since then novak doesn't seem to have same stamina or intensity. ....hard to work out why....

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It is with great sadness that I need to report that Andy is going to win the AO in a couple of weeks, and no more slams.  I'm fairly happy with him winning 4 though.  A very decent return, having to deal with 3 of the best ever all at the same time.

I have a bad feeling about this.

I'm sure he wouldn't agree, but I'd happily settle for him getting 5 if offered right now. One in Australia and a third Wimbledon would be an incredible return considering the guys he's been competing with for his whole career.

If he maintains last year's form he could get as many as 10, but playing at that level consistently for any lengthy period of time will be really difficult.

I've always thought that if the younger players who currently look like being future slam winners take longer to develop, then there doesn't seem to be any reason why Murray and Djokovic can't keep wining them until they're 33/34. Federer was still ranked second and third in the world at that age behind one or both of the two. He obviously had them to deal with at that age and still does, while Murray and Djokovic won't be up against that same level of greatness in a few years time.

I've always thought that if the younger players who currently look like being future slam winners take longer to develop, then there doesn't seem to be any reason why Murray and Djokovic can't keep wining them until they're 33/34. Federer was still ranked second and third in the world at that age behind one or both of the two. He obviously had them to deal with at that age and still does, while Murray and Djokovic won't be up against that same level of greatness in a few years time.

Fed plays a different brand.. not too hard on his body, he glides. Can't see joker or Murray going as long as him. Murray has potentially 3 more yrs at top level