Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Was on the same flight down to London on Sunday as the Murray brothers. Apparently were up for their dad's stag do. Couple of absolute gents.

No surprise, they're as grounded as you're going to be as top level sports stars. 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 23:10, Loki said:

JMDP broke his finger in the fourth set against Cilic. I really feel for him if points were awarded for Davis Cup and Olympics he would be top 20.  He is currently 38th and unlikely to make a seeding in the Australian Open.  There really could be some stinky draws in the Australian Open.  You think Djokovic would like this?

1st Round Verdasco, 2nd Round Del Potro, 3rd Round Querrey 4th Round Federer, QF Nishikori, SF Wawrinka, F Murray

Of course you have Federer who is sitting on 16th in the World who will drop 150 points before the Australian Open likely taking him out of the top 16.  Some really stinky draws could happen, but it will mean some spectacular games early on.  Certainly has the potential for a great grand slam already.

Been getting a bit of a semi about the potential for a few early doors heavy weight clashes too.. Like you say with Federer potentially dropping out of the top 16 ahead of Oz, Murray or Djokovic could conceivably end up with all of Nadal, Federer and Del Potro in their quarter. Ouch.

A protected ranking only allows you automatic entry into the main draw.  So Del Potro for instance was able to use protected ranking status to get automatic entry into the main draw when his world ranking was 1000 or so.  As Federer's ranking is high enough to allow automatic entry and still be seeded, a protected ranking doesn't apply to him.

The World Number 2 has binned his coach

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38230881

How interesting in an era where becker had a pop at Murray for demanding more drug testing. ....which saw novak drop in form try to discuss men v women prize money......then Murray win Olympics gold n become world no1.......after winning Wimbledon....again.....clean.....hmmmm

I'm not sure getting rid of the cupboard shagger will make that much difference tbh.  Djokovic was already a multiple Grand Slam winner before he came on board.  The difference now is Murray is at his peak and is winning the big matches, where in 2014 and 2015 he wasn't.

Becker made a huge difference. He made big changes to Djokovic's serve, which allowed him to dominate his big four rivals in that time.

Becker has stated that Djokovic hasn't been putting in the work that's required to be number one, due to injuries.

Although I generally agree that it is easier to coach a great player, but I would like to see him coach someone with potential to see how good Becker is.

Although what hasn't been noted is that Djokovic is quite skinny these days, he's now on a full vegan diet and doesn't seem to have the strength he once had.

34 minutes ago, Loki said:

Becker made a huge difference. He made big changes to Djokovic's serve, which allowed him to dominate his big four rivals in that time.

Becker has stated that Djokovic hasn't been putting in the work that's required to be number one, due to injuries.

Although I generally agree that it is easier to coach a great player, but I would like to see him coach someone with potential to see how good Becker is.

Although what hasn't been noted is that Djokovic is quite skinny these days, he's now on a full vegan diet and doesn't seem to have the strength he once had.

People also seem to be forgetting that even with his dip in form Djokovic is still the holder of 2 GS, which is testament to his ridiculous form over the preceding 3/4 years I suppose.

It's quite telling that if you Google vegan athletes/sports people the only name I recognise is Carl Lewis and I think everyone is now aware of the fact he was on a bit more than an exclusive vegan diet! ;)

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Injuries

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

People also seem to be forgetting that even with his dip in form Djokovic is still the holder of 2 GS, which is testament to his ridiculous form over the preceding 3/4 years I suppose.

His dip in form came after he won the last of those two Grand Slams this year, though.

It's been inevitable ever since he first won Wimbledon, but I'd prefer it if he got it once he hangs his racket up, tbh. Getting introduced on court etc as 'Sir Andy Murray' seems a bit odd. :lol: