Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Exactly forgot about that.. Fed would easily have traded a grand slam for the Olympic crown. Only big one missing from his CV.

Murray has 2 of them

Murray should trade half of his Olympic golds for half of Federer's Grand Slams. A fair deal, they both get a gold medal!

Honestly buzzing for the Aussie Open now. Usually the post Christmas and New Year period is boring/pish just in a general context, but that will certainly be one to look forward to. :D

Absolutely love tennis and it's all down to the boy Murray. Without him I'd probably be largely ignorant of this great sport.

Absolutely delighted for Andy today. The guy puts in absolutely everything to keep improving. That`s what elite sportsman do and it`s why Novak will come back even stronger. If they both stay fit, next year could be absolutely awesome. Both really top players.

The chat amongst the experts pre-match today was that this would be a step too far for Andy. Fantastic performance to cap a brilliant year. 

Amazing that Andy and Novak in terms of lost matches are both in single figures for defeats this year. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Just now, Elixir said:

Honestly buzzing for the Aussie Open now.

Likewise. This is the best chance he'll get to finally claim one. It'd be a real shame if he couldn't at least win one there after getting so close so many times.

I'd go as far as to say if I could pick him to win just 1 Slam next year, it'd be the Australian, as he's far better than that 0-5 record there suggests.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Honestly buzzing for the Aussie Open now. Usually the post Christmas and New Year period is boring/pish just in a general context, but that will certainly be one to look forward to. :D

Absolutely love tennis and it's all down to the boy Murray. Without him I'd probably be largely ignorant of this great sport.

Absolutely this.

Thank goodness it would appear he still in fact can be arsed.

What Andy has achieved in the last 6 months is incredible, when you really look at the stats around it.

After Djokovic won Roland Garros, he held all 4 Slams and was over 6,000 points ahead of Murray. How the f**k has he turned that one around? :blink:

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Likewise. This is the best chance he'll get to finally claim one. It'd be a real shame if he couldn't at least win one there after getting so close so many times.

I'd go as far as to say if I could pick him to win just 1 Slam next year, it'd be the Australian, as he's far better than that 0-5 record there suggests.

Absolutely. It would be a travesty if he never wins one there. If he does get it then he'll be going for the career Grand Slam at Roland Garros, in addition to having won Olympic gold and now the end of season finals, which is unbelievable. I think Agassi is the only man to win them all.

Speaking of which, what does he actually have left to win?

Australian Open, French Open, Indian Wells Masters and Monte Carlo Masters? He might not reach the number of tournament victories of some of the all time greats, but he could end up being the only man to win near enough every significant title.

Edited by Elixir

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Absolutely this.

Thank goodness it would appear he still in fact can be arsed.

Fear I'm never going to hear the end of that but I'm certainly glad to look like a clueless mug rather than right. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Absolutely. It would be a travesty if he never wins one there. If he does get it then he'll be going for the career Grand Slam at Roland Garros, in addition to having won Olympic gold and now the end of season finals, which is unbelievable. I think Agassi is the only man to win them all.

Speaking of which, what does he actually have left to win?

Australian Open, French Open, Indian Wells Masters and Monte Carlo Masters? He might not reach the number of tournament victories of some of the all time greats, but he could end up being the only man to win near enough every significant title.

You're right, both in that none of the Big 4 have ever won all of those and that those listed are all Murray needs to win. As for the rest of them:

- Djokovic is missing the Olympics and Cincinnati Masters

- Federer is also missing the Olympics, as well as Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome and Montreal/Toronto (anyone think Fed might not really care about Masters events?)

- Nadal is missing the WTF as well as Miami, Shanghai and Paris

Realistically, Murray is pretty much the closest to taking everything as Novak doesn't get another shot at the Gold medal until 2020 and I can't see Rafa staying healthy enough to start taking hard court Masters events. Pleasing.

Edited by Nightmare

In a Mickey Mouse tournament- when he does it in a biggie and doesn't have to rely on underdogs pulling off massive shocks and eliminating the competition, being in easy halves of the draw or injuries.

Hardest possible draw v novak getting easiest possible draw....wins....never dropped a set to novak on grass....wins every time.....you're getting horribly desperate purely cos he didn't have your servile attitude to self determination for scottish people....perhaps if he hated gay people and was a charlatan bottle merchant like your idol tyson fury you'd love Murray......[emoji23]

Eta are Olympics Wimbledon n Davis Cup not biggies btw??? From guy who seriously has no issues about boxing having 5 different world title authorities lol

9 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Tyson fury is no idol of mine.
I do have a problem with different world titles.
Stop making stuff up.

You know your boxing. Guys like Loki definitely know their tennis. If you're just having a wee go at the wind up then fair enough but our boy is doing that flag in your avatar some credit. Best in the world.

On 18/11/2016 at 20:45, Stephen Malkmus said:

This thread needed some dredged up point-and-laugh material at this point imo.

I don't think the 1st one you quoted really deserves to be in with some of that other drivel, employing the right people has definitely had a positive impact on Andy.

We've a 30 year tennis veteran classing Murray's wins as minor, they may well have been minor compared to slams but the accuracy is negated a bit when said poster is using his experience of playing at a very very very minor level as a means of trumping the posts of other contributors who may or may not play tennis, the best eye in the world for tennis or any other sport for that matter doesn't necessarily need to have any playing experience whatsoever IMHO.

50 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

No one in the tennis world nor general population has any right to ever negatively criticise the chap again. He has stuck two fingers up to them all.
His coaching team will continue to give him constructive feedback which is why they are there

I concur, he's probably stuck the fingers up to most of us at some point,