Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The roof is closed at the moment in Vodafone and Rod Laver arena because there has been a slight drizzle, it is a very cool day today and Murrays match was postponed like 6hrs on Tuesday because of the extreme heat policy as it reached 41 degrees celcius and he was meant to be playing on Margaret Court Arena during the day but they moved him to Vodafone Arena later that night. Me and my mate went in on Tuesday to the Aus Open and we were gonna watch his match when he came on but all the outside courts got cancelled half way through the day but that wont happen today as its only 28 degrees.

Both Safins matches so far have gone to 5 sets so it will probably go to 5 again.

That would explain that then - the commentary hadn't mentioned the outdoor conditions, so I presumed it was another hot day. ;)

I know about Tuesday though - I stayed up to watch Sharapova and Pin bake on Rod Laver, then planned to get up for Murray's match (incidentally, he was scheduled to start "not before 8.30am GMT" on Margaret Court Arena, hence why I could set an alarm for a specific start time). Was bloody annoying when he only strolled onto court at 9.30am here though! :lol:

Safin's a strange character - phenomenal player, but so inconsistent and so injury-prone. Can't believe he can get through so many 5-setters without his body giving up. :lol:

That would explain that then - the commentary hadn't mentioned the outdoor conditions, so I presumed it was another hot day. ;)

I know about Tuesday though - I stayed up to watch Sharapova and Pin bake on Rod Laver, then planned to get up for Murray's match (incidentally, he was scheduled to start "not before 8.30am GMT" on Margaret Court Arena, hence why I could set an alarm for a specific start time). Was bloody annoying when he only strolled onto court at 9.30am here though! :lol:

Safin's a strange character - phenomenal player, but so inconsistent and so injury-prone. Can't believe he can get through so many 5-setters without his body giving up. :lol:

Yeh on show court 2 with Hantuchova's match against Loit they went out and did the coin toss and then both players just looked at the match official because of a slight drizzle :lol: and they then both walked back in :lol:.

That must have been annoying for ya having got up early to watch Murray match and find out it was re-scheduled for later on. Never seen the Sharapova match as me and my mate were at Margaret Court arena on Tuesday watching the Nalbandian vs Tipsarevic match and Tipsarevic blew 2 match points and Nalbandian ended up coming back from 5-2 down to win the 3rd set and then win the fourth and then Tipsarevic had to retire because of the heat, they were both really struggling.

Yeh Safin blows hot and cold and could either have a great game and outplay Roddick or go out and play crap and smash about 3 raquets :lol: I dont think 5 setters bother him too much as he is one huge guy, i remember goin to see him practice on one of the outside courts and he is mammoth, with so much power behind him. Should be an interesting match nonetheless.

Edited by Bluenose5

Yeh on show court 2 with Hantuchova's match against Loit they went out and did the coin toss and then both players just looked at the match official because of a slight drizzle :lol: and they then both walked back in :lol:.

Mmmmmm, Daniela :wub::lol:

That must have been annoying for ya having got up early to watch Murray match and find out it was re-scheduled for later on.

Only an hour later than planned, but I had planned on having another couple of hours sleep after his match before going to work! :lol:

Yeh Safin blows hot and cold and could either have a great game and outplay Roddick or go out and play crap and smash about 3 raquets :lol: I dont think 5 setters bother him too much as he is one huge guy, i remember goin to see him practice on one of the outside courts and he is mammoth, with so much power behind him. Should be an interesting match nonetheless.

That's one of the reasons that I'd love to go down to Wimbledon one year - to see how big some of these guys (and girls - I'd imagine that Clijsters, Kuznetsova etc are a lot taller than they appear on TV.......if Maria is, I'm scared!) actually are, and how hard they hit a tennis ball.

Mmmmmm, Daniela :wub::lol:
Agree totally ;)
Only an hour later than planned, but I had planned on having another couple of hours sleep after his match before going to work! :lol:

Thats alright then, because he was meant to be the last to play on MCA on Tuesday.

That's one of the reasons that I'd love to go down to Wimbledon one year - to see how big some of these guys (and girls - I'd imagine that Clijsters, Kuznetsova etc are a lot taller than they appear on TV.......if Maria is, I'm scared!) actually are, and how hard they hit a tennis ball.

Thats why its great that the Aus Open is in my home city, get to see them all every year :)

You get some very bug guys like Safin who i was just looking up at, same with Karol Kucera, both mammoth whereas Safin is alot bigger built. I remember going to see Grosjean play and was amazed at how small he was but has alot of power and smacks the ball very hard (my mate nearly got hit by one of his misguided forehands :lol: ). Alberto Martin who i seen play against Gonzalez of Chile is really small aswell but Gonzalez is probably one of the bigger hitters i have seen play.

PS: I saw Kuznetsova train with Navratilova on one of the outside courts a couple of years ago and she is very tiny but really big built, she has alot of power behing her.

I went to bed early and got up to watch this.

Murray played pretty poorly throughout, and only came into his own in the final set - though even then he tried to throw it away. Verdasco made 49 unforced errors though, which over a three set match is pretty telling.

I still worry when Murray plays about him being overhyped and inconsistent, but at least he's now able to grind out wins when he's playing poorly, which can only continue to bode well!

Two great matches will be played at Rod Laver tonight: Safin vs Roddick and Monfils vs Gasquet.

Both should be really close with Safin and Roddick both power hitters and also the battle of the French between the Monfils and Gasquet who have both been playing well should also be very close. Looking forward to it. :)

Two great matches will be played at Rod Laver tonight: Safin vs Roddick and Monfils vs Gasquet.

Both should be really close with Safin and Roddick both power hitters and also the battle of the French between the Monfils and Gasquet who have both been playing well should also be very close. Looking forward to it. :)

Power hitters, battles - typical Aussie! :lol::P

I watched the match this morning, the first time I have seen him play for a while. Looks a much improved player, better shot selection and also a lot fitter. Also doesn't take tantrums as much anymore, although watching him shout abuse at his coach was quite funny. Doubt he will beat Nadal but I have no doubt he will win a Grand Slam in the future.

Guy called Mackin for whom Scots think no one knows in the world, lost to Lapentti in 3 sets, as a Shire fan, im gonna send a bottle of slovenian champaign to Ecuador, cuz of that.