Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Guest thefamousphilosifer

I think Nadal's just turned 20, but Andy isn't 20 until next year (I think!!)

It's been a tough (though succesful) fortnight for Andy, lets just hope he can recuperate in time for the US Open - i genuinely believe he can get through to the semis :D

It just depends on hoiw his seedings go.

I think he's ranked 5th or 6th on US Hard Courts this season, although his actually World Ranking is 18 now.

Roddick has just won 6-3 6-4 :( Not surprising as Murray has played so much tennis the last few weeks.

Murray heads into the match against Roddick in the form of his life having barely had a day away from the courts in the last three weeks.

I think even some of the top tennis players would have been a bit tired after that. So for his age and to have beaten Federer its pretty damn good

Can't say that I'm to sad the little scruffy, English hating c**t is out :)

I dont recall Murray ever saying he hated England :rolleyes: He just dared to have a laugh and say he hoped the English football team were knocked out of the World Cup, which obviously makes him a narrow minded racist nazi :blink:

Great effort by him over the last couple of weeks and no shame in last nights defeats, he was always going to run out of steam at some point. Hopefully he can now go on and make a serious impact at the US Open.

Why does Murray waste what little energy he has left by shouting at himself and putting on the petted lip whenever he loses a point, even if he had no chance of winning it.

That's one aspect of his game I thought Gilbert was sorting out.

Why does he need to cut it out, shows you that he expects to win every point. Nothing wrong with that, shows you how much he wants to be the best. He has so much passion for the game and even after 14 games in 18days he was still running for every thing and playing some magnificent passing shots.

He will be number 1 one day and the more passion he shows the better.

At least he wasnt acting like a knob like Roddick when Roddick won a point with a great shot he was acting like a cocky wee pleb. :angry:

Why does he need to cut it out, shows you that he expects to win every point. Nothing wrong with that, shows you how much he wants to be the best. He has so much passion for the game and even after 14 games in 18days he was still running for every thing and playing some magnificent passing shots.

I'm not talking about losing the passion for the sport. But when he loses a point, he wastes so much energy by bleating about it. You hardly ever see Federer doing the same thing.

He's still building his fitness up, and conserving energy is key on a tennis court, it's one of the most physically demanding sports there is. He's going to lose points, games, sets, matches. While he might be annoyed, he's got to learn to channel his emotions more positively. That's what gives the top players the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good tonight, cruised thru the first 2 sets 6-0 6-1.

On another note, does the ball HAVE to go over the net to win a point? There was one rally where Murray tried a drop shot that his opponent got to from a very difficult angle and played it almost horizontal. It dropped just out but before the umpire announced it Murray had smacked it into the opposing court. As he was so far wide (almost at the umpires chair) there was no way the ball could have gone over the net.

So..... would that point have counted? Or does the ball HAVE to go over the net? :unsure:

On another note, does the ball HAVE to go over the net to win a point? There was one rally where Murray tried a drop shot that his opponent got to from a very difficult angle and played it almost horizontal. It dropped just out but before the umpire announced it Murray had smacked it into the opposing court. As he was so far wide (almost at the umpires chair) there was no way the ball could have gone over the net.

So..... would that point have counted? Or does the ball HAVE to go over the net? :unsure:

:blink: I dont understand a word of that

:blink: I dont understand a word of that

I think he means if someone hits a shot in such a way that it goes really wide, and the guy returning doesnt actually put the return over the net, but it still lands in court, does it count?

I'd be inclined to say no, because it couldnt be properly judged whether the shot was high enough to have went over if played normally.

He's absolutely ripping Di Mauro to shreds in his 2nd round match right now.

One can only assume how bad the player Di Mauro beat in the 1st round was, as he looks like he's never picked up a racket before.

Alessio Di Mauro (Ita) bt Jurgen Melzer (Aut) 5-7 6-1 7-5 7-5

loved this quote off the BBC site

Murray looks like he's a bit bored

Looking good tonight, cruised thru the first 2 sets 6-0 6-1.

id have thought the point would have counted because he never hit it back onto Murrays half of the court. wouldnt have thought it had to go over the net

Just watched it down the pub. Never thought I'd see the day a scottish pub (even more so a Weegie pub) would all be glued to the TVs and over the moon when he won. Gonzalez had totally lost the plot temper wise at 5-1 down in the last set an there was only gonna be one winner.

Looks like he'll get the 7th seed in the quarter final. A real test. Good luck. When is his next game?