Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Wonder if it's a bit of a bluff by Murray coming out and saying he would miss the WTF to prepare for Davis Cup if they go with clay. Would the Belgiums prefer a tired Murray on hard courts who's just played the WTF, or a well rested, prepared Murray on clay who's missed the WTF.

Also interesting that Chris Kermode of the ATP saying Murray has to take part in the WTF unless he's injured. Not really sure how they can force him to play it if he just claims he has a sore back, couldn't prove otherwise.

Wonder if it's a bit of a bluff by Murray coming out and saying he would miss the WTF to prepare for Davis Cup if they go with clay. Would the Belgiums prefer a tired Murray on hard courts who's just played the WTF, or a well rested, prepared Murray on clay who's missed the WTF.

Also interesting that Chris Kermode of the ATP saying Murray has to take part in the WTF unless he's injured. Not really sure how they can force him to play it if he just claims he has a sore back, couldn't prove otherwise.

That was my thinking as well. A bluff to see what the Belgians are thinking. Goffin is good on clay, but Darcis ain't. Edmund came through qualifying and a round at the French this year before withdrawing injured. With the state of Murray's back I think it would be really easy for him to get a medical exemption. You would take Murray to beat Goffin and Darcis on clay every time.

If he does sacrifice the WTF to win the Davis Cup you have to admire his commitment.

I'm maybe being a touch cynical but I think this will be our only real shot at this. You'd think he would maybe have another handful at the end of season masters finals.

That's my thinking too tbh, they have done very well to get there, but it's no coincidence that it's almost 40 years since our last final appearance. We simply don't have enough quality players. Murray isn't daft, he knows he can't keep murdering himself in 3 high intensity matches in as many days a few times a year. I think he wants to put all his energies into the Davis Cup as this could be his only chance to win it.

Didn't Federer miss the wtf last year to play in the davis cup or have I read that wrong somewhere?

No he put Wawrinka out in the semi final which resulted in an alleged scuffle in the locker room, and he withdrew from the final citing a back injury.

That was my thinking as well. A bluff to see what the Belgians are thinking. Goffin is good on clay, but Darcis ain't. Edmund came through qualifying and a round at the French this year before withdrawing injured. With the state of Murray's back I think it would be really easy for him to get a medical exemption. You would take Murray to beat Goffin and Darcis on clay every time.

If he does sacrifice the WTF to win the Davis Cup you have to admire his commitment.

I'm not really sure why else Murray would openly, and voluntarily, admit this early that he'll miss the WTF.

Darcis has been further at the French Open than any other slam, as has Goffin. And obviously it's Murray's weakest surface. So only way they'd possibly play on hard courts would be if they didn't want a fully rested Murray and would rather take their chance with a fatigued Murray who's just reached the semi-final/final of the WTF. Of course he could skip the WTF even if it was held on hard courts, so if they played that game they could get stung.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Belgium have confirmed today that the Davis Cup final against GB will be held indoors on clay at the 13,000 capacity Flanders Expo in Ghent.

I think it's a bit of a stupid decision. A quicker surface would allow Goffin to play his more attacking game against Murray, allowing him to dictate play. Darcis has no chance whatever on a slow clay surface against Murray. GB have a far better doubles team, even if Andy didn't play with Jamie. Edmund has already beaten Darcis.. Ward played extremely well on clay away to the USA to get a point for GB. Although they are trying to nullify Murray by picking his weakest surface, they have also nullified themselves.

If Murray was to win three points in the final he would be only the second person to win eight singles points for their country since the introduction of the modern world group format in 1981. John McEnroe went 8-0 and 4-0 in doubles in 1982. Getting those three points would be the second greatest Davis Cup showing.

There is not a chance that Murray will lose a singles match, he wants to win this every bit as much as he did his first grand slam. Jamie is inspired playing doubles, certainly has outshone his brother in the three matches they have played.

Quite incredible that Darcis Vs Edmund/Ward could possibly the most exciting match of the year if it does to a decisive fifth rubber.

I think it's a bit of a stupid decision. A quicker surface would allow Goffin to play his more attacking game against Murray, allowing him to dictate play. Darcis has no chance whatever on a slow clay surface against Murray. GB have a far better doubles team, even if Andy didn't play with Jamie. Edmund has already beaten Darcis.. Ward played extremely well on clay away to the USA to get a point for GB. Although they are trying to nullify Murray by picking his weakest surface, they have also nullified themselves.

If Murray was to win three points in the final he would be only the second person to win eight singles points for their country since the introduction of the modern world group format in 1981. John McEnroe went 8-0 and 4-0 in doubles in 1982. Getting those three points would be the second greatest Davis Cup showing.

There is not a chance that Murray will lose a singles match, he wants to win this every bit as much as he did his first grand slam. Jamie is inspired playing doubles, certainly has outshone his brother in the three matches they have played.

Quite incredible that Darcis Vs Edmund/Ward could possibly the most exciting match of the year if it does to a decisive fifth rubber.

Agreed. Espeically since Murray has been great on clay this year and Edmund managed to get to the 2nd round of Roland Garros.

I'm all for Andy putting as much preparation as possible into the Davis Cup Final, but a bit of me hopes that he plays as much as he can in the World Finals despite this. There is a still a good chance he can get no.2 by the end of the year, which is crucial for the Aussie Open.

I'm confident he could do well in the Tour Finals and still beat Goffin/Darcis on the first day, especially if it is Darcis first.

Agreed. Espeically since Murray has been great on clay this year and Edmund managed to get to the 2nd round of Roland Garros.

I'm all for Andy putting as much preparation as possible into the Davis Cup Final, but a bit of me hopes that he plays as much as he can in the World Finals despite this. There is a still a good chance he can get no.2 by the end of the year, which is crucial for the Aussie Open.

I'm confident he could do well in the Tour Finals and still beat Goffin/Darcis on the first day, especially if it is Darcis first.

It will definitely be Murray Vs Darcis on the first day. They changed the rules at the start of last year so it is 1s vs 2s on the Friday, and then 1 v1 in the fourth and 2 v 2 in the fifth.

GB were drawn against Japan in Round One next year.

It will definitely be Murray Vs Darcis on the first day. They changed the rules at the start of last year so it is 1s vs 2s on the Friday, and then 1 v1 in the fourth and 2 v 2 in the fifth.

GB were drawn against Japan in Round One next year.

That's been the rule for over a decade, not a new things at all