Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Thanks for the info SD - I'm not up to speed on how they work out the rankings. I've followed Andy's progress since he won Junior Wimbledon a few years ago. I fact i backed him to be in the Top 10 by his 21st birthday at 15-1...!!!

Hence my interest in the ranking structure!!! (what are his realistic chances for breaking into the Top 3???

Is he worth a flutter on being World No 1 by his 25th birthday??

I don't follow enough tennis to be sure about that. I do however know how the rankings work. tennis is ranked on a rolling annual basis. Points are awarded for progress in tournaments and differing strengths of tournaments are worth more points than others. The four majors are worth most. Then the 'Masters Series' Events and then all the rest. In any given week you lose the points you got in the same week a year earlier and get what you get in that week. So in effect you could finish runner up in a tournament and still go down because you won it the year before. For instance if Roddick loses to Murray he could easily drop below someone who went out in the last 16 because last year he was runner up and the other guy may have gotten bugger all.

Did Murray win Junior Wimbledon? I don't think he did. He won the Junior US Open. Is that what you're thinking of?

I would think your top ten bet has ever chance of succeeding since he's not far away now and clearly is working well with Brad Gilbert. However, he is now on his best surface. He won't do so well on clay and probably not on grass.

Top 3? Long way away from that yet and ranking points wise that's a different plane. The top two are miles clear of everyone else too. I doubt he'll make number one anytime soon unless Nadal suffers injury or something. He's only a couple of years older. How much older is Federer?

You can find all the info you need on the atptour website.

Guest BerwickRadge

I don't follow enough tennis to be sure about that. I do however know how the rankings work. tennis is ranked on a rolling annual basis. Points are awarded for progress in tournaments and differing strengths of tournaments are worth more points than others. The four majors are worth most. Then the 'Masters Series' Events and then all the rest. In any given week you lose the points you got in the same week a year earlier and get what you get in that week. So in effect you could finish runner up in a tournament and still go down because you won it the year before. For instance if Roddick loses to Murray he could easily drop below someone who went out in the last 16 because last year he was runner up and the other guy may have gotten bugger all.

Did Murray win Junior Wimbledon? I don't think he did. He won the Junior US Open. Is that what you're thinking of?

I would think your top ten bet has ever chance of succeeding since he's not far away now and clearly is working well with Brad Gilbert. However, he is now on his best surface. He won't do so well on clay and probably not on grass.

Top 3? Long way away from that yet and ranking points wise that's a different plane. The top two are miles clear of everyone else too. I doubt he'll make number one anytime soon unless Nadal suffers injury or something. He's only a couple of years older. How much older is Federer?

You can find all the info you need on the atptour website.

As I'm on a quiet night shift, I'll probaly keep in touch with his game tonight - fingers crossed he'll do it again. A good win will boost his confidence.

What price he wins Wimbledon in the next 5 years??

Seems to me he's more of a talent than 'Tiger' Tim was - more life in my Mum's neutered Tom Cat!!

Guest BerwickRadge

Murray's lost the first set and is looking shattered, Roddick is playing some superb tennis.

Can't help feeling that Murray's lack of fitness over longer matches may well see him defeated - although all the sets so far have been pretty close.

I think Murray is totally shattered. Reaching a Final, a Semi Final and then playing Henman and Federer all in extreme heat has taken it out of him. Even if he does get beat, its been an excellent 2 weeks and he can have lots of confidence for the US Open.

(Looks as if Murray is about to get broken in the 2nd) 40-15 down.

Why does Murray waste what little energy he has left by shouting at himself and putting on the petted lip whenever he loses a point, even if he had no chance of winning it.

That's one aspect of his game I thought Gilbert was sorting out.

Cannae win them all Andy.

It's a lot of matches in a short period of time in quite a bit of heat every match; so we shouldn't expect someone who's not as physically strong as other players to be able to keep winning.

Give Murray a couple more years proper development then we can expect him to be challenging for wins in back-to-back tournaments and Grand Slams.

Guest thefamousphilosifer

Murray is the youngest player in 16 years to play at this stage of the Cincinatti Masters :o I thought Rafael Nadal was younger than him, clearly not.

Guest BerwickRadge

Murray is the youngest player in 16 years to play at this stage of the Cincinatti Masters :o I thought Rafael Nadal was younger than him, clearly not.

I think Nadal's just turned 20, but Andy isn't 20 until next year (I think!!)

It's been a tough (though succesful) fortnight for Andy, lets just hope he can recuperate in time for the US Open - i genuinely believe he can get through to the semis :D