Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Bloody typical that he does that when I'm working and have no way of keeping up-to-date! <_<

Great win for Andy - if he plays to his capabilities he'll be in teh top 20 by the time the US Open comes along :)

Bloody typical that he does that when I'm working and have no way of keeping up-to-date! <_<

Great win for Andy - if he plays to his capabilities he'll be in teh top 20 by the time the US Open comes along :)

Thats him through to the third round in Cincinnati, that in itself should put him into the top 20 should it not?

Thats him through to the third round in Cincinnati, that in itself should put him into the top 20 should it not?

Not 100% sure how far behind 20th he was (or indeed who's all in the tournament now), but it may well do, what with the points on offer for a Masters Series event being more than a normal ATP tour event. :)

Guest thefamousphilosifer

3rd round is the last 16 i think :unsure: So I think you'd be correct.

If he could only serve, he'd get his way up the rankings even quicker. Incidently he's seeded for the US Open

World number 20 is Jose Acasusa, dunno if he's playing here

Edited by thefamousphilosifer

Not 100% sure how far behind 20th he was (or indeed who's all in the tournament now), but it may well do, what with the points on offer for a Masters Series event being more than a normal ATP tour event. :)

He was 21st before today.

He reached the 2nd round here last year, so he's improved by one round. If he loses in the next round, it'll depend how the players just above him have done.

And having checked, No20, Jose Acasuso, lost in the 1st round this week, so that should do it.

If he could only serve, he'd get his way up the rankings even quicker. Incidently he's seeded for the US Open

Thats what i was telling my dad while watching todays game he always hits the net at least once when he's serving and when he does get it over the net he rarley manages to get much venom into the shot but i have noticed it improving slightly over the last year along with the rest of his game, he is after all a long way off the finished article. Still potiential to become No1 one day.

Thats what i was telling my dad while watching todays game he always hits the net at least once when he's serving and when he does get it over the net he rarley manages to get much venom into the shot but i have noticed it improving slightly over the last year along with the rest of his game, he is after all a long way off the finished article. Still potiential to become No1 one day.

Thankyou Brad Gilbert :rolleyes:

He reached the 2nd round here last year, so he's improved by one round. If he loses in the next round, it'll depend how the players just above him have done.

And having checked, No20, Jose Acasuso, lost in the 1st round this week, so that should do it.

He's already gotten above Acasuso. Coming into the tournament Murray had 1210 points and Acasuso 1225. Murray has gained 40 points even if he loses next round to Ginepri. Acasuso, who was defending 125 points, has gone backwards.

19th is Nicolas Kiefer who is 100 points ahead (1310). So far as I can see, Kiefer isn't playing in the tournament so will drop the 35 points he got last year. If Murray beats Ginepri he'll move above him too but not if he loses.

18th is Ginepri himself. He is 145 points ahead but defending 225 points for reching the semis last year. If Murray could beat him he'd lose 150 points and drop behind Murray.

17th is Tommy Haas, 245 points ahead. Given that he's still in the tournament, Murray can't realistically get that high this time.

Basically he's up to 20th already and if he beats Ginepri he'll go to 18th.

Thats what i was telling my dad while watching todays game he always hits the net at least once when he's serving and when he does get it over the net he rarley manages to get much venom into the shot

Petchey explained that the other day. Murray uses a really top heavy racquet, so it is difficult for him to stretch up for the ball, particularly as the match goes on and he gets more tired.

Your venom poiint just isnt true. He can serve at over 130 mph and his shots go through the court well, again the flip side to his heavy bat.

When he gets bigger and stronger his serve will improve in consistency.