Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He'll still win far more games than he loses, but at the moment he is miles behind Djokovic. First set could have gone either way, played very well in the second then absolutely fell apart in the third. Still a very good start to the year though and Murray is in much better shape than he was this time last year.

Under Boris Djokovic has greatly improved his serve. Novak is a better player now than when he went on his winning streak in 2011. Murray has to work so hard to stay in the match. Murray was returning excellently for the first two sets, but on his service games he was working extremely hard to hold serve.

The sun had a great deal to do with the tie break loss. With the first six points with the Sun Andy's face. Novak is currently better but the % is getting smaller.

He has a healthy lead now and should remain in the top four until the grass season now.

Thought Murray played very well for the first two sets in brutal conditions. He made some cracking shots, and with a bit of luck could have ended up taking the first set. But two hours against Djokovic in the Miami heat is gruelling, and once he went a break down his head dropped as well. I don't think there's a great deal of difference in their games, as the first two sets showed. However, there is a big difference between them mentally and on a fitness level, and right now Novak is way ahead of Andy at both of them.

Yeah fitness-wise Djokovic is in a league of his own. Quite easily the fittest tennis player of all time. In the heat of North America and Australia it's what wins you titles. Tennis-wise, there's very little, if anything between them.

Hopefully the fitness thing comes with time, tough conditions but it's a while since I've seen him so out of it physically. At his peak a few years ago he was on a similar level to Djokovic fitness wise. There's also definitely still an element of it being mental fatigue later on, if he had Djokovic levels of belief he might have had enough to fight back at the start of the third. He doesn't though and he packed it in really. It's difficult because ultimately he's playing a guy who's at a level that for me is higher than Federer or Nadal reached. Sometimes you just have to accept someone is too good.

Yeah fitness-wise Djokovic is in a league of his own. Quite easily the fittest tennis player of all time. In the heat of North America and Australia it's what wins you titles. Tennis-wise, there's very little, if anything between them.

I can remember watching Murray and Djokovic in similar conditions 6/7 years ago(might even have been Miami) and it was Novak who wilted in the heat, he used to regularly have total collapses physically, been some turn around and it's no surprise folk are suspicious of him at times, I'm suspicious and I quite like the guy!

He puts it all down to gluten intolerance. I find it difficult to believe any of the top 10 are doping currently.

I really need to try cutting out that gluten then!

Remember he had a 'pod' too, don't know if he still uses it though.

ht_Novak_Djokovic_nt_110830_wmain.jpg

Since Lance Armstrong got caught doping continuously for years and years at top of cycling, one of the most tested sports around, then I couldn't say with 100% confidence that anyone is clean....but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Andy ;)

Edited by Tommy Nooka

He puts it all down to gluten intolerance. I find it difficult to believe any of the top 10 are doping currently.

Agreed. They're just supreme athletes in prime condition. As simple as that.

I really need to try cutting out that gluten then!

Remember he had a 'pod' too, don't know if he still uses it though.

ht_Novak_Djokovic_nt_110830_wmain.jpg

Since Lance Armstrong got caught doping continuously for years and years at top of cycling, one of the most tested sports around, then I couldn't say with 100% confidence that anyone is clean....but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Andy ;)

That is a CVAC chamber and essentially it increases your red blood cell count in your blood allowing you to take on extra oxygen meaning less lactic acid production, aiding short term recovery. Not banned by WADA as although it artificially increases your red blood cell count, it can be achieved naturally by training at altitude. Novak has spat his dummy out in press conferences a few times when he gets questioned about it.

If Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer was found to be doping I don't think tennis would be as open about it as cycling have been. They happily covered up Andre Agassi's drug use, letting Gasquet off with his cocaine excuse etc. It would cost the majors run by the ITF and the ATP millions if one of them was caught.

Novak has improved just about everything under Boris Becker. His technique is better, and weaknesses of his have greatly improved (the serve and overheads). Murray is not at his level any more, however he is bridging the gap. He is inching his way closer to him all the time. if Murray had taken that first set he would have won the match and would have deserved it. The six points into the sun at the start of the tie breaker was the main difference in the match. He would have beaten any other player that day.

Novak is almost perfect. There is very little weaknesses in his game now. He can't deal with spin and slice as well as Murray. Dolgopolov was employing lots of spin and Novak kept making error after error. Also if you can crank the pressure on him he starts to error more frequently. He gave Federer two sets at Wimbledon and almost gave him another title. Instead of electing to receive I would like to see Murray elect to serve against Novak. So Novak feels a bit of scoreboard pressure everytime he serves.

Murray's return game is as good as Novak's if not better. He didn't put away Djokovic on three vital points when he had to take on an overhead shot. Miles Maclagan suggested in the studio that he should always let these bounce, assess where Novak is and smash it to f**k. There is a few minor improvements Murray has to make to get back to beating him.

He will have beaten Novak by the end of the year, and once he beats him once, he will go on a wee run of wins. I think there will be an opportunity for players to cause an upset on Nole at the French.

Murray's coach Mauresmo has announced on twitter that she is expecting her first child in August.

VBqUfgR.jpg

Murray's coach Mauresmo has announced on twitter that she is expecting her first child in August.

VBqUfgR.jpg

Andys been a naughty naughty boy, what with a wedding just around the corner! ;)

Seriously though, do you think Andy made the donation? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...