Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It's quite strange that up against two of these top grass players, Murray has the upper hand in the head-to-head (he definitely did against Roddick, and I'm not sure if he's faced Hewitt anywhere other than San Jose).

His only meeting with either Roddick or Hewitt prior to yesterday were at San Jose. He has a perfect record against both.

However, having beaten either on a hard court has little relevance to doing so on grass. That said, I'd say Roddick was the more difficult prospect in theory.

I have to say I'm very wound up by David W's stance on the national team. I just don't get it! blink.gif

He doesn't get it either. He makes himself out to be some kind of Socratic "citizen of the world" figure, calls Scottish fans racist, but then latches onto... well, another country, and one that is - ironically - home to a rather large contingent of actual racists, not David's made up kind.

In sum, he has called the international football system racist in the past, but clearly has no scruples about being a part of the racist system... as long as it's a team that isn't Scotland.

And he's one of the ones who cries the loudest if someone dares to support another team against England, regardless of their reasons for doing so.

He really is an absolute idiot when it comes to issues like this.

I personally don't care if people want to support Scotland or England or the UK or whatever.

Edited by Swampy

His only meeting with either Roddick or Hewitt prior to yesterday were at San Jose. He has a perfect record against both.

However, having beaten either on a hard court has little relevance to doing so on grass. That said, I'd say Roddick was the more difficult prospect in theory.

Yeah, that's true, but it's something that I think helped him yesterday - he seemed to really believe that he could win against Roddick, and it might have been in the back of Roddick's mind when he fell behind as well. Any psychological advantage he can get against the top players has to be a good thing.

Yeah, that's true, but it's something that I think helped him yesterday - he seemed to really believe that he could win against Roddick, and it might have been in the back of Roddick's mind when he fell behind as well. Any psychological advantage he can get against the top players has to be a good thing.

I think he has a great chance on grass against anyone apart from Fed.

He has such a perfect game for it.

It's my opinion, and I'm allowed it.

If you don't support Scotland then there's no problem, but it's the fact that David W prefers Spain to them. A joke IMO.

It's his choice, and he's allowed it. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, he feels more of an affiliation with Spain and would support them against a team he has no feeling for. There's nothing wrong with that.

Back on topic(tennis in case youse forgot) what time will Murray be playing?

He's second on Centre Court tomorrow (as I said earlier), and as he follows a Ladies Singles match, could be on anytime after 2.30pm.

I'm Scottish so I support Scottish football team and other Scottish sportsmen. Simple as that. I cannot understand why anyone born and raised in this country as a Scotsman would choose not to support our football team.

Statements like "coz they're pish" are laughable and ignorant beyond belief. That shows a total lack of understanding of demographics and indeed recent football history.

It's his choice, and he's allowed it. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, he feels more of an affiliation with Spain and would support them against a team he has no feeling for. There's nothing wrong with that.

Of course he's entitled to do what he wants but it's a bit odd. No?

Guest Twynholm

He's second on Centre Court tomorrow (as I said earlier), and as he follows a Ladies Singles match, could be on anytime after 2.30pm.

Sh*t i will miss it :(

Back on topic(tennis in case youse forgot) what time will Murray be playing?

If you were that interested, you'd know. :rolleyes:

I'm Scottish so I support Scottish football team and other Scottish sportsmen. Simple as that. I cannot understand why anyone born and raised in this country as a Scotsman would choose not to support our football team.

Statements like "coz they're pish" are laughable and ignorant beyond belief. That shows a total lack of understanding of demographics and indeed recent football history.

I stated on a thread in 1st Division General Chatter that I don't really regard myself as a football fan, I'm just a St.Johnstone fan. I have watched the World Cup because there is top class football on show and I watched the Champions League Cup Final for the same reason. I also watched the Scottish Cup Semis and Final because I wanted to see Gretna get beat. ;)

I have a passion for St.Johnstone that I don't feel for Scotland in footballing terms, therefore I don't support them. I've never been to a Scotland international, probably will never go to one. I have no interest, so it bores me. With Saints, I have an interest as I support them.

You don't need to support Scotland just because that's where you're from. The world does not work like that, people actually have a freedom of choice nowadays. I'd put it to you that people who are slagging David W off because he is "not patriotic" or giving him a hard time because he supports Spain over Scotland are the ignorant ones around here.

Of course he's entitled to do what he wants but it's a bit odd. No?

Not at all.

Unfortunately I will miss Murray's match, as I'm heading away on honeymoon soon :D

I did notice this littel snippet in the Mirror regarding Murray's win over Roddick....

His win over Roddick, brilliant though it was, came too soon after England's World Cup heartbreak to offer more than token consolation to a grieving country.

A 'grieving country'?? Dunno about anyone else, but I was fair celebrating :lol:

Justine Henin-Hardenne is a set up against Daniela Hantuchova, so at this rate Andy should be on between 2.30pm and 2.45pm. :)

Daniela is looking lovely BTW :wub:

Throwing it away, looks like he could be injured.

Don't think he'll win this, in fact I reckon it'll even be a 3-0 whitewash for the Cypriot whose name I can't spell.