Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

But Almagro has beaten Murray at Roland Garros. Hypothetically we could agree on eight of the players being better than Murray. If Murray was to be seeded ninth, he would not make a semi final (unless other seeds fell) and would find it difficult to make a quarter final. Being seeded has helped Murray's results in clay court tournaments. The other guys can run in to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in the last 16 and never make semis or quarters. Advancing in tournaments doesn't always equate to being better at Tennis.

Murray is now on court and it is still on serve in the first set. Both players looking to attack from the off.

But Almagro has beaten Murray at Roland Garros. Hypothetically we could agree on eight of the players being better than Murray. If Murray was to be seeded ninth, he would not make a semi final (unless other seeds fell) and would find it difficult to make a quarter final. Being seeded has helped Murray's results in clay court tournaments. The other guys can run in to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in the last 16 and never make semis or quarters. Advancing in tournaments doesn't always equate to being better at Tennis.

Murray is now on court and it is still on serve in the first set. Both players looking to attack from the off.

Yeh, but that was one meeting 5 years ago and Murray's 2nd ever French Open. I wouldn't say that was relevant when discussing who is better. Comparing their tournament and match records is about as well as you can do.

Glad both semi`s got played today and it`s not the final I wanted to see but I still back Murray to beat Cilic as long as Murray does not do a Nalbandian and gets disqualified. :lol:

120618Nalbandian2_6313265.jpg

The match is on at 12.00 tomorrow because of the charity fun matches.

Andy Murray will join Tim Henman to play Ivan Lendl and Tomas Berdych.

There will also be a Celebrity doubles match.

The BBC will be showing the Charity matches after the final.

Titles isn't slightly relevant. Murrray would have just as many title if he bothered to play any events. Almagro's last four have been won against Baker, Volandri, Hanescu and Chela ffs.

Murray's performance record in the Masters and French Open has been greatly helped by his seeding. The others listed would also have done as well as him with his seeding. It was you that brought up performance record as a gauge to how good a player is on that surface. Now you are stating that title wins are not relevant, but quarter final and semi final places are? However what we both agreed on was Murray was not in the top eight clay court players. if a hypothetical seeding system occurred based on how good a player was on each surface Murray would find it extremely difficult to replicate his previous results. I have made my points, you have made yours. I won't comment any further.

I certainly under estimated how well Youhzny is playing this season. His results the past three months have been better than he has played before. He has taken the first set against Federer and his serve is looking good. Interestingly enough that is only the fourth set Youhzny has ever taken from Federer in 15 meetings. Sets him nicely for Wimbledon.

Murray's performance record in the Masters and French Open has been greatly helped by his seeding. The others listed would also have done as well as him with his seeding. It was you that brought up performance record as a gauge to how good a player is on that surface. Now you are stating that title wins are not relevant, but quarter final and semi final places are? However what we both agreed on was Murray was not in the top eight clay court players. if a hypothetical seeding system occurred based on how good a player was on each surface Murray would find it extremely difficult to replicate his previous results. I have made my points, you have made yours. I won't comment any further.

I certainly under estimated how well Youhzny is playing this season. His results the past three months have been better than he has played before. He has taken the first set against Federer and his serve is looking good. Interestingly enough that is only the fourth set Youhzny has ever taken from Federer in 15 meetings. Sets him nicely for Wimbledon.

Of they aren't relevant, why would they be if Murray hasn't played ever played in any similar tournaments? :unsure2: You could count on one hand the number of 250 and 500 clay events Murray has played in the past 5 years, if not his entire career. You'd have to be absolutely mental to believe he wouldn't have as many clay titles if he'd played the amount of events(The sort of events that have John Isner as top seed, and Albert Ramos and Denis Istomin seeded 8th.) Alamgro has. Tournaments that both players, and indeed everybody else on the tour, play - The French Open and three masters - will always be more relevant. There is no parameter by which Alamgro can claim to be better than Murray on clay. He can claim to be, at absolute best, on par with him.

When Almagro or Monaco plays as well as this against Djokovic(37 game winning streak Djokovic) or Nadal, rather than getting absolutely destroyed as he always does, we can reopen this debate.

Edited by Orainn