Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He has a couple more major titles in him yet. The big man'll be back to show us what he's all about.

Not this time i feel

that has been said about him many times before and i believed it, but watching him this year his movement has deteriorated badly, serve is weaker, seems flat footed on return of serve, confidence going down - mentally he is terrible on the big points

at some time the decline had to happen and i think this is it for him.

He has a couple more major titles in him yet. The big man'll be back to show us what he's all about.

Not this time i feel

that has been said about him many times before and i believed it, but watching him this year his movement has deteriorated badly, serve is weaker, seems flat footed on return of serve, confidence going down - mentally he is terrible on the big points

at some time the decline had to happen and i think this is it for him.

Pish. Form goes up and down but will go up again. He will get better yet.

Federer still has supreme quality. What I think will stop him from winning another GS is the fact that Djokovic, Murray and Nadal are so good at defending now, they can counter Federer's ultra-offensive style of play better than maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Possibly more guys in the top 20 have got better defensively too. I don't think Federer has gotten worse, the rest have gotten better.

Federer still has supreme quality. What I think will stop him from winning another GS is the fact that Djokovic, Murray and Nadal are so good at defending now, they can counter Federer's ultra-offensive style of play better than maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Possibly more guys in the top 20 have got better defensively too. I don't think Federer has gotten worse, the rest have gotten better.

Don't agree with this, i have been watching Fed's matches lately and its not the shot making its his movement, foot speed, power that are all fading

once that goes its pretty irrelevant what the shot making is like, i mean every now and then he can still hit some fantastic shots, but not nearly enough as he did in the past because he is not in position as good as he needs to be.

Don't agree with this, i have been watching Fed's matches lately and its not the shot making its his movement, foot speed, power that are all fading

once that goes its pretty irrelevant what the shot making is like, i mean every now and then he can still hit some fantastic shots, but not nearly enough as he did in the past because he is not in position as good as he needs to be.

Are you talking about the 500/1000 events? There's no way he'll be giving 100% in these tournaments - he hasn't been for the past 5 odd years. A lot of people have said these kind of things about Fed since he lost that Wimbledon final to Nadal in 2008, but he's still come back and upped his game in certain slams and gone on to win them. I think his best chance of winning another is if there's an upset or injury with one of the other top 4 (unlikely in the short time he has left). Even then I still wouldn't write him off at Wimbledon or one of the hard court events if he came up against Nadal or Murray.

Federer is out of match practise. He hasn't played since a rejuvenated Nadal beat him in Indian Wells in the QF. Nishikori is a very good player that is improving all the time. I certainly wouldn't write off Federer yet. He has been written off many times especially after surprise defeats at Wimbledon to Tsonga and Berdych, but he has always came back and been competitive. He can certainly win Wimbledon again, and possibly the US Open.

I do agree that he will never play as well as consistently as he did four to five years ago. But you have to concede that he can easily reproduce that form over the course of two weeks without a doubt. He will be good enough to stay in the top four for the forseeable future.

Nadal has an exceptional forehand. I am actually amazed that you can pin point the exact changes in Federer's game but have failed to spot any changes in Nadal's since his comeback from a long injury lay off. Nadal is looking to be more aggressive and is looking to shorten the points at times, far more so than he did previously. He played some superb stuff in Indian Wells. His error count has also increased as he is looking to end the point sharper. At times he does revert back to the attrition point winning, but he certainly isn't only about fitness and endurance.

Federer since January.... zero finals, 2 semi finals

Nadal since coming back.... 6 tournaments, 4 titles, 2 finals

Nadal's game only requires one thing - for him to be fit and healthy.

getting back to Federer, in the past he always played well in 1000 and 500 events, even last year, but this year he has been abysmal, i know he's been written off alot and came back, but in those times you could see he still had the tools, now i simply just feel he is too old and doesn't look right

Wimbledon is the only GS where i give him any chance of being in the title mix, the other slams.. QF will be about his limit, and that is not a great result for a man of his calibre,

the thing is Federer's decline was always gonna happen sooner rather than later

for people to really spot it you need to watch how he plays rather than looking at the scoreline in a defeat against a lower ranked player in a smaller tournament.

Edited by Billy Mehmet loyal

Murray on about half 7 tonight against Tomas Ber-dick. The Czech needs speed to work with so hopefully Murray hits a lot of deep slices on the backhand so Ber-dick has to generate power himself. Which is obviously the hardest to do on clay.

Federer was also on a 7 week hiatus missing four tournaments including 2 Masters events. He elected to play at Indian Wells due to him being defending champion despite carrying a back injury.

Nadal is the most successful clay courter ever all but one of his tournaments have been on clay this year. Nadal's wins are not as convincing and he is genuinely struggling with players he would routinely dispatch. Nadal's level of performance has dropped more than federers. Both will still challenge for slams in the coming years.

Murray is doing better tonight than he did in the previous two rounds. More solid and less errors. He is mixing up the height and length of his returns very well. Still on serve in the first set. 5-4

A deserved loss, Berdych was far better than Andy. Andy played solid tennis up until the tie break and Berdych played very well and took the break in Andy's first service game in the second. Murray then played the best two games of the match to move 2-1 ahead back in serve. But Berdych forced the break again and held serve pretty well to win the match.

Still 180 points gained, and with Federer losing 910 they will be a swing of 1090 which will be enough to ensure Andy stays 2nd in the world for the French. It will be exceptionally hard for Andy to move to No.1 in the World when he can't play that well on clay.

The Tsonga Wawrinka match is entertaining though, Tsonga pulled off some fantastic shots in the tie breaker to take the match to a third set.

Was an alright performance from Murray on his least favourite surface. Guys Like Berdych and Wawrinka can generate more power than Andy and are able to eat his weak second serve up at will.

He plays Marcel Granollers tomorrow in the second round of the Rome Masters.

Thinking about it actually, it's pretty much solid tennis from now until the US open. Pleasing.