Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Congratulations Andy Murray and what a match especially that last set.

That last set was a roller coaster and for both players to be completely shattered during that set.

I still cant believe that first point of the tie break and I was really pleased to see Andy after taking that point win that tie break quite easily but Ferrer was finished with cramp at that stage.

Andy Murray number 2 again after being there in 2009 for 3 weeks lets hope its longer this time around.

Regarding Murray being a slow starter, I agree with Loki, Murray strikes me as a player who usually always breaks early in the opening set. Sometime the first game. Particularly in Masters events, and other best of 3 matches.

That is fair enough, I guess you can argue it either way. It certainly has more substance than I thought. He has taken the first set in the last five matches with Djokovic and had taken the first set in the last three major finals. I thought the early breaks in the matches you highlight were more systematic of his erratic serving, but that could easily be contributed to being slow to start or slow to find his range.

In the match against Gasquet, Gasquet was immense rather than Murray being slow to start.

Fair point with Gasquet, but he still went 3-0 down. Even against much lesser players in grand slam events, very often I've seen him go 2-0 or 3-1 down before waking up. Against most players he is good enough to win the first set regardless. It's hard to quantify how often this happens without stats to back it up, but having watched a lot of tennis over the past several years, I would say that Murray goes a break down in the first set far more than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer. I'm just going to have a look to see if I can find stats for first break of serve in a match. I've watched most of the matches Andy Murray has played in his career but it's obviously impossible to recall exactly how they all went from memory.

When Murray is playing one of the top players, perhaps he is more focussed because he knows he can't afford to give them a head start.

I would agree with his lack of focus in matches against lesser opponents. Like you suggest I would say that he knows he needs to focus in matches against the other top four.

One of the main reasons his serve gets broken more often that the Rafa, Roger and Novak is simply it is not as good as theirs on the whole. They all have better second serves. When Murray's first serve dips below 60% he can easily give away cheap games on his serve.

To summarise I agree that he is slow to start against opponents ouwith the top four, but I do not believe he is slow to start against the top four.

To summarise I agree that he is slow to start against opponents ouwith the top four, but I do not believe he is slow to start against the top four.

Yip, and a look at all his recent matches against Federer and Djokovic in the Slams and Olympics shows that, he's taken the first set in all of them. I think against lesser players he comes out and just tries to get a feel for how his opponent is going to play, if they come out firing (like the Gasquet match) he'll up his game, if not and he's able to beat them at a cruise then he'll do that and just play within himself. So when he plays someone who comes out strongly he'll go behind early on before upping his game and pulling it back.

Against to the top players he's learned that he can't afford to do this so comes out strongly from the off.

The improvement in mental strength cannot be ignored either I feel. He said himself during the trophy ceremony yesterday that the Andy Murray of 2010/2011 would have lost that match. The dicking of Federer in the Olympics has done him the world of good mentally, as did the loss 3 weeks earlier on the same court. The support and advice of an 8 time GS winner in his camp has played a major part too.

You're right. Murray's BS about being a Hibs fan is chronic. Have you ever seen him with a Hibs scarf or top or attend a game?

Nope? Correctomundo

He must be a die-hard Rangers man then, Seamus. Dunblane Loyal I heard.

You're right. Murray's BS about being a Hibs fan is chronic. Have you ever seen him with a Hibs scarf or top or attend a game?

Nope? Correctomundo

Fucking hell.....

That is all your four posts on this thread. Doesn't look like a serial wind up to me. Looks like you were caught knowing nothing and had the cheek to cry wind up.

Whatever I say in regards to Murray, the opposite happens. Every time, and I mean every time. It's scary