Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I was zonked last night so couldn't stay up for it. I'll catch the highlights at 11. Sounds like the usual story for the guys ranked 5-30ish - Pummel the top guys in the first set, but cannot sustain it over a match and get soundly beaten. You can add Gasquet to the list along with the likes of Cilic and Berdych. Those two are bad for it.

I like Gasquet a lot. He has some unbelievable shots and at one point was tipped to be the next Federer, certainly had the potential to be better than Murray and Novak at that time. Sadly didn't have the determination to improve that Murray and Novak had and as a result you only see glimpses of what could have been. Some of the shots produced in the tie breaker were immense. The half volley from under his toes to hit a clean winner was superb. Although you have to say Murray chucked that first set away. Although I am not sure why Gasquet was seething, but it certainly fired him up to win that first set.

Murray has met Ferrer on hard courts six times and has won five of those. The one he lost was in the ATP Tour Finals at the O2 and he pulled out of the tournament after that defeat. So you can't read too much into that. I would say that it will be a tight game and Murray will edge it in three. It will be Murray's first Master tournament since 2011 if he wins.

Some wasteful challenges. Hope he doesn't get a shocking call if he comes back into the set.

To be fair, if Murray had taken all of the game points he's had so far, he'd have won the set 6-1 everything else being equal. Ferrer played big points much better thus far.