Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray just started playing poorly for whatever reason. You shouldn't lose 7 games in a row on grass against anyone. Nadal played very well when he needed to, but Murray had some awful misses, and not just the much talked about shot and the missed smash the game after. He came to life a bit when he had break points in the middle of the fourth set, but Nadal didn't really need to do much to win today. Murray was awful for just over two sets. Nadal may be great, but he is not Superman. If you put him under pressure and don't start gifting him games, he can crack. A perfect example of this is the way that Djokovic has beaten Nadal four straight times this year. No doubt he'll put up a much stronger showing on Sunday than Murray did today.

With Murray it has to be mental. On several occasions in his grand slam defeats against Federer and Nadal, he has had absolutely glaring misses at key points in the match. Murray doesn't do this against lesser players, but then he is far from the only sportsman who has problems when faced with the tougest opponents on the biggest stages. People should just lower their expectations a little until he does finally become a grand slam champion.

Murray should look at the match like this;

For the first set and the first 3 games of the second set, he was cruising. At no point in that period did he ever look like losing.

After "that" missed volley, he was pish. So pish that he would have lost to the majority of the players in the top 100. He never lost because Nadal was great, he lost because he was shite.

Murray should look at the match like this;

For the first set and the first 3 games of the second set, he was cruising. At no point in that period did he ever look like losing.

After "that" missed volley, he was pish. So pish that he would have lost to the majority of the players in the top 100. He never lost because Nadal was great, he lost because he was shite.

Agree 100%.

He made Nadal look very ordinary all through that first set. The missed volley that would have put him in poll position for a 2 set lead was definitely the turning point. His confidence from that moment on just deserted him.

Andy's got it in him to win Wimbledon - but there's still some mental issues to be resolved.

Every player in the world except from Nadal, and maybe Djokovic and Federer would have made a mistake which let Murray back in at some point over the next two and a half sets and Murray would have got his confidence back. If he can learn to keep the head in these situations he will almost certainly take a slam at some point.

He lost the head yes, but the reason he didn't get it back was because of what was on the other side of the net. I must repeat. Nadal made seven unforced errors all match.

The 4th best footballer in the world never gets accused of being shite.

Edited by Mushroom

He lost the head yes, but the reason he didn't get it back was because of what was on the other side of the net. I must repeat. Nadal made seven unforced errors all match.

Yes.... But Murray kept feeding him short easy balls that you wouldn't have expected any half decent tennis player to make an error from.

Yes.... But Murray kept feeding him short easy balls that you wouldn't have expected any half decent tennis player to make an error from.

Isn't that why its called an unforced error...

Murray made 39 unforced errors plus double faults and his 1st serve in the 3rd set was 48 %

He isn't shite but he dipped badly after that miss.

Anyone (like me) who had money on him to win the tournament might not agree with that.

Anyone (like me) who had money on him to win the tournament might not agree with that.

The fact that you had money on him winning it says enough to me about what your opinion means.

Murray wasn't good enough. Bottle or not. The head went down yes. As said though, against lesser players, he'll get away with that, and the vast majority of players Murray will play are lesser players. However, Nadal gave him no chance to recover and just kept battering. He did well to show the battle and hunger he did in the fourth set, and basically pull his finger out of his arse. I'm not even going to say it was too little too late. Nadal probably would have won anyways. Because he's a much much better player than Andy Murray. That's not a knock on Murray. It's just how good Nadal is.

Never understood why so many people seem to enjoy criticising Murray so much. The guy is a fantastic tennis player who is unfortunate to be playing at the same time as 2 players who will probably go down as the best 2 players ever. He's now consistantly reaching semi-finals/finals of grand-slams and will probably win a major at some point. And even if he doesn't, he's already had a career that 99% of tennis players would be proud of. However, some people clearly don't rate him and don't see him as worthy of living up to Scotland's great tennis tradition...

I don't know if that was aimed at me, but my post was more to do with how good Nadal is than Murray being a bad player, which he blatantly isn't. He's a league ahead of everyone beneath him. And considering he sits in 4th, that covers a lot of ground.

Never understood why so many people seem to enjoy criticising Murray so much. The guy is a fantastic tennis player who is unfortunate to be playing at the same time as 2 players who will probably go down as the best 2 players ever. He's now consistantly reaching semi-finals/finals of grand-slams and will probably win a major at some point. And even if he doesn't, he's already had a career that 99% of tennis players would be proud of. However, some people clearly don't rate him and don't see him as worthy of living up to Scotland's great tennis tradition...

Spot on.

Yep. green wan for you.

This thing about 'bottling it'.

Yes, Murray doesn't have the same mental fortitude as Nadal but nobody does. The true greats in every sport have a unique self-belief and set of balls which allows them to push on whilst under severe pressure and claim the momentum from one mistake.

Murray is solidly the fourth best tennis player in the world, comfortably ahead of anyone else but not in the same class as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Semi finals and runners up in GS are exactly his level, not bottling it. He's lost in three finals but to Federer and Djokovic ffs.

If he beats these guys at a GS but loses to some diddy in the final then fine, I'll call him a bottler. But that will never happen as the level of consistantly they show means they'll always be competing in the last rounds. To be consistantly in the company of two (very possibly three) of the greatest ever is remarkable yet he'll never capture the national imagination quite like Tim Henman.

I completely agree with you. He's very unlucky to be playing at the same time as Federer and Nadal because those two will go down in history as remembered names alongside guys like Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Becker and Sampras.

Andy is an outstanding player. The top four of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are miles clear of the rest of the world, and Federer and Nadal used to be a good bit clear of Novak and Andy, but Novak has closed it down now while Andy can do it when he really puts his mind to it and stays confident. Then you get the good players such as Tsonga who can cause the top four big problems but don't have enough in them to challenge them regularly enough. Then you get maybe another level of decent player before you pretty much find the guys just making up the numbers who will be amazing compared to ourselves but cause very little problems for the good players.

The people who call Andy sh*te are just morons. That's pretty much claiming the only people in the entire world who are good at tennis are Rafa, Roger and Novak. Lots of players on the tour would love a chance to play as well as Andy. Most players also find it very, very hard to take a set off the top guys, some get lucky in Round 1 when the opponent is just getting into the stride of things. Even taking one set off Rafa was good going by Andy, although we all wish it was more. He's still young, got plenty of years to try win a Slam. And even if he doesn't win one, he wont ever be a failure because he's had a great career so far that so many tennis players can only dream of.

The people who call Andy sh*te are just morons.

Couldnt agree more, no-body can claim he is shite, 3 slam finals now and 3 SW19 semi's. I personally just get really frustrated when the head goes down, he starts shouting at his box and his effort appears to go down, at the end of the day i want to see him win a slam just as much as the next guy.

Couldnt agree more, no-body can claim he is shite, 3 slam finals now and 3 SW19 semi's. I personally just get really frustrated when the head goes down, he starts shouting at his box and his effort appears to go down, at the end of the day i want to see him win a slam just as much as the next guy.

17 ATP titles and a career high of 2nd in the world. Magnificent achievements, with no doubt more titles to come.

Didn't see the first set, when I heard he was very good, but I thought Murray was really really disappointing in sets 2 through 4.

I thought he played much better last year when he lost in straight sets. His serve was woeful and he missed way too many easy putaways mid court.

andy was immense in the first set but as soon as a few doubts slipped in during the 2nd he was done. he has to sort his head.

is anyone else suspicious of novak's incredibly improved levels of fitness this season? i find it strange that athletes on tour all year round regularly make such massive physical jumps (djokovic this year, murray after wimbledon 08) and it is barely commented on at all. i would bet my bottom dollar that all of the big four and plenty of players below them are on some kind of program.

i don't care and i love watching them play but it seems quite insulting that we are supposed to believe the reason for the jump in form by djovokic is because he switched to a gluten free diet :lol: federer can play endlessly without showing any signs of fatigue, nadal was an absolute monster at 15 years old, murray went from a weakling to one of the strongest guys on tour in 12 months and now novak who used to be close to passing out every time the sun came out from behind a cloud is winning nearly 60 games in 6 months from the baseline and blowing his rivals off court.

no one in the media seems to think this is all a bit odd <_<

Edited by T_S_A_R

andy was immense in the first set but as soon as a few doubts slipped in during the 2nd he was done. he has to sort his head.

is anyone else suspicious of novak's incredibly improved levels of fitness this season? i find it strange that athletes on tour all year round regularly make such massive physical jumps (djokovic this year, murray after wimbledon 08) and it is barely commented on at all. i would bet my bottom dollar that all of the big four and plenty of players below them are on some kind of program.

i don't care and i love watching them play but it seems quite insulting that we are supposed to believe the reason for the jump in form by djovokic is because he switched to a gluten free diet :lol: federer can play endlessly without showing any signs of fatigue, nadal was an absolute monster at 15 years old, murray went from a weakling to one of the strongest guys on tour in 12 months and now novak who used to be close to passing out every time the sun came out from behind a cloud is winning nearly 60 games in 6 months from the baseline and blowing his rivals off court.

no one in the media seems to think this is all a bit odd <_<

Good grief.