Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Nadal was a break down in his first set today but I doubt anyone was telling him to get a grip. Things like that happen against top players all the time and tbh at no point in that match did I ever think Murray would lose.

I never said he would lose. Nor did I think it.

Even Traver playing well should not be taking a set off Andy Murray on grass, and it was a tougher match than it should have been because Murray wasn't finishing games. But of course, the self-appointed gods of tennis opinion can't stand for that.

Baghditis has a better head to head record against Murray, and Mardy Fish has won the last three encounters to nudge 3-2 ahead. Out of interest does anyone have a better head to head record Vs Nadal?

Well that depends whether Baghdatis or Fish are deemed as "worthwhile" opponents. :D

Surprising to hear those stats, though. Although were a couple of those Baghdatis wins not a long time ago? 06/07ish, when Murray was just finding his feet at a decent level.

I never said he would lose. Nor did I think it.

Even Traver playing well should not be taking a set off Andy Murray on grass, and it was a tougher match than it should have been because Murray wasn't finishing games. But of course, the self-appointed gods of tennis opinion can't stand for that.

Im certainly not appointing myself a god of tennis. Just passing comment.

Im certainly not appointing myself a god of tennis. Just passing comment.

The comment was directed at Widge in particular, who for some reason seems to think he can judge how much tennis someone watched based on one comment. A comment which he's jumped on because he wants to seem really informed about tennis, but has failed because he's picked on someone who actually does follow the sport all year round.

Wimbledon does indeed bring out the fairweather tennis fans who will try to seem knowledgeable when they don't have a clue, but it also brings out some stuck-up arseholes as well.

Even Traver playing well should not be taking a set off Andy Murray on grass

I thought Murray was a bit complacent. He was clearly looking to just break when an oppertunity when it arose, and he took his mind off of things at that one point during his own serve and it cost him.

It's a good one to get through though. He'll feel good about the 6-0, 6-0 at the end of things and even though Travers wasn't at the races, you can only beat what's put in front of you. Federer and Nadal have made much bigger meals of opponents in first rounds before.

I thought Murray was a bit complacent. He was clearly looking to just break when an oppertunity when it arose, and he took his mind off of things at that one point during his own serve and it cost him.

And that was exactly my point when I posted that he needs to "get a grip".

He was dominating his service games, getting close to breaking on Traver's, and then suddenly a lapse in concentration and he's a set down.

When it got to 3-3 and 4-4 in the first you could see G-T creeping up on Murrays second serve and was just going for the big cross-court forehands. At this point I knew he would break Murray pretty soon and that turned out to be the case.

As others have said, Murray has the big game experience, the ability and the (sometimes) mental strength that guys ranked 50-100 don't have and as soon as the Spaniard was down a break he threw in the towel and gave up. I agreed with John Lloyd who I think said he'd be surprised if G-T didn't retire because he was getting so much of a doing.

Good performance.

Laughable attempt by commentators to build up tension when he went a set down. Listening to 5 Live, only Pat Cash had a decent shout when asked at what point Murray should start to worry.

"2 sets and a break down..and even then, only maybe"

Good performance.

Laughable attempt by commentators to build up tension when he went a set down. Listening to 5 Live, only Pat Cash had a decent shout when asked at what point Murray should start to worry.

Indeed. Scaremongering to the extreme from the BBC. Not like them.

Good performance.

Dont think so, was dreadful in the first set he really was never once looked like he was going to break him. All be it losing this obviously gave him the kick up the arse he needed, will need to play a hell of alot better if he is going to win..

Dont think so, was dreadful in the first set he really was never once looked like he was going to break him. All be it losing this obviously gave him the kick up the arse he needed, will need to play a hell of alot better if he is going to win..

Nonsense! Murray only played badly in 1 game - the game he was broken in. The point HB is picking up on is that no-one other than the hysterical British tennis media were unduly worried. The guy had a stormer, smacking the ball from all over the court but Murray eventually works these guys out.

A top 4 player loses a set? Shit happens.

Are your eyes painted on?

The guy had a stormer, smacking the ball from all over the court but Murray eventually works these guys out.

I don't even think it was a case of Murray changing anything.

I think you just have to assume someone at that level can't continue to hit lines at that pace for 2 1/2 hours. If they can, you have to say "too good".

I don't think it makes that much difference, tbh. If anything, it would have been better for Murray to be playing Roddick, because Roddick's game is a mess right now and Lopez is playing well.

Similar to the Cilic or Ljubicic situation... people thought it would be better for Murray to be facing Ljubicic, but I don't think so.