Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I suppose I should have phrased that as "if they're guff"... but oh well. :D

I'll be gutted should I post up some guff and I fail to be held to task over it now. Whenever I do post some 'guff' I'll just hit back with the witty retort of 'Just testing'. :ph34r:

Not unless they meet in the final. Opposite sides of the draw.

Personally I'm relieved that Federer will have to play 7 matches if he wants to win this time rather than 6.

Indeed.

And?

I'll happily admit, only Wimbledon grips me, and whilst I may not be as knowledgeable as others on all things Tennis, I and others are still allowed to have our opinions on it.

Of course you're allowed to have your opinions. I'm far from a seasoned tennis fan - I love the majors and a fair amount of the ATP tour events, but there's a lot about tennis I don't follow.

Opinions are allowed. Claiming that Murray has a woeful record against Cillic (when he's actually won 5 out of their 6 encounters) isn't.

I half expected Russell to do a lap of the court when he went 30-15 up, such are his chances today.

Of course you're allowed to have your opinions. I'm far from a seasoned tennis fan - I love the majors and a fair amount of the ATP tour events, but there's a lot about tennis I don't follow.

Opinions are allowed. Claiming that Murray has a woeful record against Cillic (when he's actually won 5 out of their 6 encounters) isn't.

Fair enough Gaz, was just getting in a pre-emptive strike before I'm called upon. :lol:

Well Murray has got a woeful record against Cilic, and IIRC grass suits Cilic so theres easier folk he could have played. Roddick loves Wimbledon and Gasquet is a bit of an unknown, ie which Gasquet will turn up, It's a lot more difficult than his draw at the French, but if he's got his head screwed on, he should manage it. I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him. Has Murray beaten any of them in a grand slam? I'm almost certain he hasn't. It's all in his head, get that sorted and he could be going on a 46 match unbeaten run (or whatever it was) like Djokovic.

You remind me of the type of person who jumps the fence at the local tennis club during the Wimbledon fortnight, holds the "bat" like a fud - hitting the ball on occupied courts next to yours, makes a lot of grunting sounds 'coz you've heard it on the telly, and then leave your old 2 litre bottle of Irn-bru, half-filled with water lying about before jumping the fence to get out.

Admittedly, I only watch grand slams. I do prefer the best of five set format. I'm not stupid enough to suggest that Murray has a poor record against Cilic though. Or shit like this...

I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him. Has Murray beaten any of them in a grand slam?

...when the best I've seen Murray play was a majestic performance against Nadal at the US Open a couple of years back.

There aren't actually that many players that Murray HAS a bad record against, is there?

Head-to-head records, the only people who have an advantage over him are Nadal and Djokovic. Murray leads the head-to-heads with Federer, Del Potro, Roddick, Soderling, and almost any other player that it's worth mentioning.

Of course, that's different to being able to beat certain people when it matters, but Murray generally has very good records against pretty much everyone.

My FB feed is awash with the usual oh Andy Murray is playing, I am now a tennis fan, so it's all FFS get a grip, better not blow it. The truth of the matter is, the other guy is playing the match of his life probably, taking on big shots, 90 mph+ forehands is huge and has been all over Murray.

However the guy wont be able to play this well for 5 sets, he will fall away at some point and Murray will take advantage, this second set Gimeno-Traver hasn't been past 15 on Murray's serve, whereas he has been to break points and dueces the other way round, so I am not at all worried, remember Federer last year 2 sets down and a break, he fought back and went through.

Some real armchair posters on this site, just like there is everywhere, now I'm not saying don't support him and watch it, but please don't make ill-informed comments and 'C'mon man, get a grip', tennis isn't like that and if more people played they would understand.

Sorry rant over.

How come they both get to wear such similar strips? It must be hell for folk watching in Black & White surely?

This has to be a joke??

Even if it is, it's compulsory for players to wear white at Wimbledon, so it makes not difference, all the players wear white.