Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Exactly - that's why I like showboating - it's entertainment. And it was at 40-0.

I disagree with the commentary though. After watching it, it's not as impressive as I expected. I'd have thought most players on tour could do that.

Most footballers could do plenty of amazing skills with a football, but you hardly see any doing them in the middle of a match, let alone a final. It's not about what they can and can't do, it's about who has the balls to try it in a real game situation.

it's about who has the balls to try it in a real game situation.

My point was really in relation to the BBC's hyperbole. It's generally people who don't understand a sport who get overly excited about such things, kindof like the "hot dog" shot too.

Even good Scottish national standard players could play that shot Murray did, or through the legs, spinning the ball over the net etc. It's all about percentages though I suppose. And you could look like a fool if you balls it up.

I'd like to see more of it in game situations. Tennis can be a bit predictable.

Another interesting match is Isner v Mahut.

Good to see Fudge making it to Wimbledon again :D

Surely this match can't be as dramatic as last years, that'll never likely happen again.

Murray's got quite a tough draw this time. Cilic/Ljubicic in the 3rd, probably Gasquet in the 4th, Roddick in the QF.

Makes his RG draw look so easy. Which it was, I suppose.

It is tough but over 5 sets I'd back Murray everytime. Only thing I worry about is he has a habit if throwing in a really poor game at the GS and all those players are capable of capatalising on that.

Cilic is poor atm, gasquet will throw a wobbly and go out before the 4th round and Roddick will remember getting so easily thumped at Queens, I would back Murray all the wa with this draw, albeit it could have been easier, but if he plays as well as he can there are only 3 people who can beat him and they need to play their best as well.

Cilic is poor atm, gasquet will throw a wobbly and go out before the 4th round and Roddick will remember getting so easily thumped at Queens, I would back Murray all the wa with this draw, albeit it could have been easier, but if he plays as well as he can there are only 3 people who can beat him and they need to play their best as well.

Well Murray has got a woeful record against Cilic, and IIRC grass suits Cilic so theres easier folk he could have played. Roddick loves Wimbledon and Gasquet is a bit of an unknown, ie which Gasquet will turn up, It's a lot more difficult than his draw at the French, but if he's got his head screwed on, he should manage it. I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him. Has Murray beaten any of them in a grand slam? I'm almost certain he hasn't. It's all in his head, get that sorted and he could be going on a 46 match unbeaten run (or whatever it was) like Djokovic.

Edited by sparky88

Well Murray has got a woeful record against Cilic, and IIRC grass suits Cilic so theres easier folk he could have played.

:lol:

Five wins out of six is woeful? Cilic isn't anymore suited to grass than he is clay. Cilic is a dangerous opponent on hard surfaces when he is serving well though.

. I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him. Has Murray beaten any of them in a grand slam? I'm almost certain he hasn't.

he's beat nadal in melbourne and new york.

the only times he's played federer and djokivic that i can recall have been the three finals.

Well Murray has got a woeful record against Cilic, and IIRC grass suits Cilic so theres easier folk he could have played. Roddick loves Wimbledon and Gasquet is a bit of an unknown, ie which Gasquet will turn up, It's a lot more difficult than his draw at the French, but if he's got his head screwed on, he should manage it. I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him. Has Murray beaten any of them in a grand slam? I'm almost certain he hasn't. It's all in his head, get that sorted and he could be going on a 46 match unbeaten run (or whatever it was) like Djokovic.

a fair lack of knowledge in this post sir, well done. Cilic has got worse and has honking record v murray, roddick prob won't even make quarters as he's a shadow of the man he was against better players than him; and gasquet? f**k off!

Another poster has summed up the grand slam record v top 3 also.

It's wawrinka I'm worried about

If I were you, I'd stop posting about tennis.

I've seen no evidence to suggest that the top 3 will have to play their best against Murray to beat him.

Take it you didnt watch Queens then?

Murray was quite simply unplayable especially against Roddick, one of the finest grasscourt players on the tour.

It's wawrinka I'm worried about

Nah, Stan the Man's form is up and down like a proverbial. I believe the US Open match between the 2 last year was a one off. Can Federer get Wawrinka this year? You know, Federer's usual 4th round Walkover?

I see the four-times-a-year tennis fans are well and truly out in force :lol:

I see the four-times-a-year tennis fans are well and truly out in force :lol:

And?

I'll happily admit, only Wimbledon grips me, and whilst I may not be as knowledgeable as others on all things Tennis, I and others are still allowed to have our opinions on it.

Nah, Stan the Man's form is up and down like a proverbial. I believe the US Open match between the 2 last year was a one off. Can Federer get Wawrinka this year? You know, Federer's usual 4th round Walkover?

Not unless they meet in the final. Opposite sides of the draw.

Personally I'm relieved that Federer will have to play 7 matches if he wants to win this time rather than 6.

And?

I'll happily admit, only Wimbledon grips me, and whilst I may not be as knowledgeable as others on all things Tennis, I and others are still allowed to have our opinions on it.

Yeah, you're allowed your opinions. Just expect to be called out on them when they're utter guff like that other guy's.