Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Young Derek Potro is a set up in his match with Juan Monaco. It's a tricky tie for Del Potro, as Monaco's no mug. Ranked 41 right now, he was as high as 14 just over a year ago. The clay courts are where he's most comfortable, but he's a decent player on this surface too.

I watched Safin's last major outing today. He kept on giving us all false hope that he could do something, but Melzer continually kept him at bay. The crowd were backing him all of the way, and I have to admit that it sucked me in a little.

Young Derek Potro is a set up in his match with Juan Monaco. It's a tricky tie for Del Potro, as Monaco's no mug. Ranked 41 right now, he was as high as 14 just over a year ago. The clay courts are where he's most comfortable, but he's a decent player on this surface too.

Del Boy totally raped Monaco. And he looked very impressive doing it too. Was making Monaco run around like a daftie most of the match.

Taking the pace right out the game seems to be the best plan against Del Potro otherwise he seems to be a very complete player already. And he's going to get better too.

With the ball and racquet technologies now, sliced backhands are actually pretty ineffective.

The ball just doesn't die in the way it used to.

Moving Del Potro around with angles is the key. His movement isn't very good compared to the others at the top. Great striker of the ball though.

Also making him do a lot of running will help in the long run as he isn't the fittest.

Yep - I think that's the glaring problem with him. An off season spent training like a beast and he could be a threat for World Number 1 I think.

Yep - I think that's the glaring problem with him. An off season spent training like a beast and he could be a threat for World Number 1 I think.

Yep. He will do that this winter I'm quite sure. Hard to beleive the age of him when you see him. He's a big beast of a guy.

He is definitely equipped to be a world number one if he can deal with everything properly. He has the game.

I read somewhere that the disparity between Federer's & Murray's section of the draws are such that if these 2 players got to the final Fed will have to play 5 matches in 11 days while Murray will have to get through 6 matches in 10 days.

Did this happen last year? Or was it even worse for Murray with the rain delay?

It really shows up their scheduling policy when Murray waits 3 days between his 1st & 2nd round ties thereby taking up to Friday to complete 2 rounds while Fed has already bagged 2 rounds in the first 3 days. It creates a backlog in one section more than the other.

I read somewhere that the disparity between Federer's & Murray's section of the draws are such that if these 2 players got to the final Fed will have to play 5 matches in 11 days while Murray will have to get through 6 matches in 10 days.

Did this happen last year? Or was it even worse for Murray with the rain delay?

It really shows up their scheduling policy when Murray waits 3 days between his 1st & 2nd round ties thereby taking up to Friday to complete 2 rounds while Fed has already bagged 2 rounds in the first 3 days. It creates a backlog in one section more than the other.

That might actually help Murray, maybe not to win the tournament, but certainly to get the final. There are question marks over the fitness levels of Del Potro and also Nadal's knees so a couple of tough matches in quick succession could have an affect on them if they end up in a tough match with Murray, whereas with Murray's fitness levels you wouldn't think it would matter.