Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Interesting comment in the first set from Mark Petchey regarding Ferrero. The Spaniard reckons from his French Open win in 2003 until now the top players hit the ball twice as hard and are physically much, much bigger.

I YouTube'd his victory over Martin Verkerk and the fastest serve was about 115 mph and even though it was on clay, compared to now they appeared to be just tapping the ball.

Is it davydenko next for murray? Hes gna need a good season end with so many points to defend, as long as he stays at least 3 i'l be happy

Edit: The fastest recorded serve was in 2004 so although some players are seen to be hitting the ball harder since 2003 this hasn't neccasirly been the case for all

Edited by randansaints

Is it davydenko next for murray? Hes gna need a good season end with so many points to defend,

He's already lost the points from last year's Montreal and Cincinnati events, as they've both been taken off already due to the stagger in the calender owing to the Olympics.

Therefore he will be still at least No.3 going into the US Open, possibly higher, as Nadal's 800 points for winning the Olympics last year comes off soon.

Edit: The fastest recorded serve was in 2004 so although some players are seen to be hitting the ball harder since 2003 this hasn't neccasirly been the case for all

Think Petchey was talking more about the ball being hit harder within the rallies rather than service.

You just need to look at Soderling/Gonzo/Verdasco and the like to realise players hit it hard & deep (oo-er matron!) much more now. Even Sampras never had that weapon.

Obviously racquet technology advancements has helped this no end, too.

Davydenko was awful in that game

Donkey was the "form guy". Had won 12 straight matches including two titles apparently. Think Murray made him look bad as much as he was just..err...bad.

Davydenko was stinking tonight,

Fair play though to Andy. Another professional performance

I saw the first set and a few games at the start of the 2nd, Murray really went after Davydenko's second serve - getting ahead in the rally with his first return seemed to have a lot to do with Davydenko's unforced errors (to my eyes).

Murray is one big shot away from winning his first Slam - I expect by this time next year to see Murray with a more aggressive attacking game. It's his lack of a big attacking forehand that keeps him short at the moment, when he gets that he will be able to handle those days he serves less well and his opponent goes on a blinder (Gonzalez@French, Tsonga@Australian, Roddick@Wimbledon). I appreciate his two handed on-the-move backhand down the line (or cross court) is a thing of beauty, but he needs a cannon to take the next step.

Nadal still has a lot of work to do to get where he needs to be on hard courts. I reckon it will be a Murray - Del Potro final.

I think Roddick will beat Del Potro.

Murray v Tsonga probably depends which Tsonga turns up. In form he can be devastating and huonded Murray on hard court in Australia last year.

So that's Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic all out.

Excellent chance for Andy to win this now. We could see a rematch of the Wimbledon semi in the final. That would be kinda tasty.

Murray beats Tsonga tonight, he's up to Number 2 in the world. :D