Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Favourite Murray win?

This one stands out in my memory. Wimbledon last 16, 2009, first game under the lights after new roof went in.

The place looked like a spaceship!

Andy Murray beats Stanislas Wawrinka to reach Wimbledon quarter-final

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jun/30/andy-murray-stanislas-wawrinka-wimbledon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Beating Henman for the 1st time. I mi d the Beeb put it on BBC2.

The memorable is the Rio Gold medal game against Del Potro.

A rollercoaster of a match. Murray seemed to have him put away so many times and Del Potro kept coming back at him and it seemed like destiny was against Murray. If it went to a fifth it looked like Del Potro could win on South American soil just like Murray did in London. Murray took the last game of the 4th set to close out an epic match.

The multiple match points to close out his first Wimbledon is also unforgettable.  40-0 to deuce before seeig it out

46 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Favourite Murray win?

This one stands out in my memory. Wimbledon last 16, 2009, first game under the lights after new roof went in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jun/30/andy-murray-stanislas-wawrinka-wimbledon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Beating Berdych in the 2012 US Open semi final.

The wind was wild and Murray's hat kept falling off.

54 minutes ago, ftk said:

Gutted he never won more grand slams especially an Australian open.

A true legend though and one of our greatest ever sportsmen.

Arise Sir Andy!

Yet...

Obviously gutting that he in't able to go out on his own terms, but what a career he has had. Sure, it would have been nice if he'd strolled it to double figures in slams, but the way in which he kept improving and coming back from crushing defeats in finals to finally win on the big stage made it all the sweeter. That US Open final against Djokovic in particular is something i'll never forget.

I'm not a tennis expert but what most impressed me about Murray is he got where he got to with sheer bloody hard work. You saw him gradually improve year on year and knew what you were seeing was genuine. Djokovic will always have doubts over him in my mind because of his incredible turn around in physique and form. Nadal too to an extent. Federer just has a natural talent, the b*****d, but Murray allied talent with graft.

His matches were hard to watch though but how many times did we see him snatch victory from defeat?

Without doubt the greatest British sportsman ever imo. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Simao said:

Yet...

Obviously gutting that he in't able to go out on his own terms, but what a career he has had. Sure, it would have been nice if he'd strolled it to double figures in slams, but the way in which he kept improving and coming back from crushing defeats in finals to finally win on the big stage made it all the sweeter. That US Open final against Djokovic in particular is something i'll never forget.

Absolutely this. 

I still regularly remind an absolute arsehole at my golf club of the day he told me Andy Murray would never win a Slam because he had neither the mental strength or the physical fitness.  :lol:

Absolutely this. 
I still regularly remind an absolute arsehole at my golf club of the day he told me Andy Murray would never win a Slam because he had neither the mental strength or the physical fitness.  [emoji38]
Aye, I had a bet years ago with an Irish mate that Monty would win a major, when it was obvious he wouldn't we did a double or quits on Murray. He was adamant that Murray was a bottle job and would never win one. Needless to say no money was ever handed over.

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Absolutely this. 
I still regularly remind an absolute arsehole at my golf club of the day he told me Andy Murray would never win a Slam because he had neither the mental strength or the physical fitness.  emoji38.png

Aye, I had a bet years ago with an Irish mate that Monty would win a major, when it was obvious he wouldn't we did a double or quits on Murray. He was adamant that Murray was a bottle job and would never win one. Needless to say no money was ever handed over.

Presuming Senior Majors didn`t count for your golf bet ;)

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Favourite Murray win?

Yes same. That was a classic.