Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He's had the trainer on already.

I'm beginning to dislike Murray with his constant excuses and refusing to go through the pain barrier.

638260[/snapback]

Thought the same at Wimbledon when he was mooching about and looking for sympathy. You don't see that crap from Nadal or others who are a similar age. He could become easy to dislike BUT if he matures a bit and keeps developing his game then this won't be a problem.

Thought the same at Wimbledon when he was mooching about and looking for sympathy. You don't see that crap from Nadal or others who are a similar age. He could become easy to dislike BUT if he matures a bit and keeps developing his game then this won't be a problem.

638734[/snapback]

Roddick did this as well early in his career.

He became the master of the leg cramps and hobbling about the court act, which led to him retiring through injury when he was about to lose several times. He grew out of it too though.

I think one of the ex-player commentators said over 80% of players on the tour have at least one semi-major injury that they play through, whether it be leg, shoulder or whatever. The experienced pros tend to keep it hidden though!

Roddick did this as well early in his career.

He became the master of the leg cramps and hobbling about the court act, which led to him retiring through injury when he was about to lose several times. He grew out of it too though.

638763[/snapback]

Yup - don't like Roddick

Murray into last qualifying round 

Latest results 

British number three Andy Murray moved to within one victory of qualifying for the US Open when he beat Italy's Paolo Lorenzi on Thursday.

The 18-year-old Scot came through 6-3 6-2 in New York against 23-year-old Lorenzi, ranked 263 in the world.

Murray broke five times in total on his way to a final qualifying match against Giovanni Lapentti of Ecuador.

In earlier second-round matches, fellow Britons Jonny Marray and Arvind Parmar both lost in straight sets.

A very tough match as Lapentti has won several challengers too and has made a lot of progress up the rankings this year 

Marray went down 6-4 6-2 to Brazil's Thiago Alves, while Parmar dropped the first four games against American Hugo Armando and eventually lost 6-3 6-4.

Murray broke Lorenzi's serve immediately and survived two break points in game four before easing to the opening set.

The Italian hit back with a break at the beginning of the second but Murray responded straight away, and then took the decisive break to go 4-2 up.

That finally broke Lorenzi's resistance and Murray broke again to wrap up victory.

He will now take on Lapentti, who fought back to defeat Russia's Igor Kunitsyn 3-6 6-3 6-3.

:D

I really want the lad to do well but it gets a bit tiring, and the British public all appluad him for such withdrawals.

i hope he proves me wrong, but i wonder why he never seems to get cramp against the less players who he manages to beat

650551[/snapback]

Hopefully he follows Henman's route of getting into the top 50, then investing in a Ballantyne's gym membership and spending the off season before the Aussie open pumping iron with Big Bubba and his pals.

The trainer may well be busy in his first match ;)

Hopefully he follows Henman's route of getting into the top 50, then investing in a Ballantyne's gym membership and spending the off season before the Aussie open pumping iron with Big Bubba and his pals.

The trainer may well be busy in his first match  ;)

651746[/snapback]

I think he needs to spend the winter doing total fitness work - there's no doubt that he has the ability to reach the very top, but while he's picking up injuries, and really suffering in the long matches (which BTW I believe is fitness based, and has nothing sinister to it), he won't make it. He's shown that he can demolish very capable opponents at Queens, Wimbledon, and now in these qualifiers - all he needs now is that extra stamina. :unsure:

On a slightly related note, there could be a new British number 1 by the end of the year - Clicky!. Who'd have thought it a few months ago :o

Pavel is a top 40 ranked player, it won't be easy. Actually, I can see all three British players losing in the 1st round this year. The draw was horrible to Rusedski. He battled so hard since Wimbledon to get a seeding for here, and he plays by far the best unseeded player, James Blake, in the 1st round. Henman' says he's injured and always struggles against South American/Spanish opponents anyway.

Murray probably has the best chance of going through.

Pavel is a top 40 ranked player, it won't be easy. Actually, I can see all three British players losing in the 1st round this year. The draw was horrible to Rusedski. He battled so hard since Wimbledon to get a seeding for here, and he plays by far the best unseeded player, James Blake, in the 1st round. Henman' says he's injured and always struggles against South American/Spanish opponents anyway.

Murray probably has the best chance of going through.

656109[/snapback]

Possibly.

I noticed the bookies have all three matches as pretty much a 50/50 pick.

My guess is that 2 of the 3 will win, probably Murray(depending on shoulder) and Henman. I agree that Rusedski has been very unfortunate with the draw. If he serves well though, he can take Blake out.

Anyone know what time the Murray game starts tonigh? Im looking forward to it. Much prefere him to Tiger Toff Tim. I like Greg as well, but Murray has the attitude to be a real winner and it wont be long before he is in the world top 10.Would love to see Andy come up against Nadal at some point.

US Open Day 2 Schedule

Should be on about 9 oclockish.

The way it works out, should be able to see all of Henmans match (first up), the beginning of Rusedski's match then switch over for the Murray game.

I imagine Sky will have interactive coverage of the Murray game and keep the Rusedski game on normal.

A bit dependant on how long preceding maches take, but shouldnt be far off the mark.