Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I just don't see what Mauresmo adds for Murray, he needs a far more experienced coach. I can see him sticking with her for full year before realising he needs another Lendl.

You do realise that Mauresmo has more coaching experience than Lendl?

No doubt he has had a fairly disappointing end to the season, and I can't help but think that fatigue played a big part in his performance at the tour finals after having to cram in so much tennis just to qualify. He hadn't won anything for over a year before winning 3 of those tournaments late on in the season. If Mauresmo gets stick for the defeats surely she must get some credit for the wins too?

Lendl was only ever involved for the slams too, he wasn't willing afaik to be involved as a full time coach, which Murray obviously wants/needs.

Has anyone been watching the Tennis League matches? Basically five one sets of tennis, mens, womens, mixed, legends and doubles. Quite a few different rules which I am still catching up on:

Your manager can nominate a point for a power point, meaning that the next point is worth two.

There is no let.

Doubles rules for deuce (next points wins, no advantage)

First to six games wins, five minute tie break if it reaches 5-5.

It takes some getting used to.

Edited to add: They have a shot clock too, that starts beeping when your time is about to run out.

Edited by Loki

Has anyone been watching the Tennis League matches?

Edited to add: They have a shot clock too, that starts beeping when your time is about to run out.

If Nadal had been playing, I would have watched purely to see him and the shot clock. No interest otherwise so I've seen none of it.

Nope. I think him throwing his full weight behind Mauresmo, has if anything, contributed to Green and Dani leaving.

Absolutely, hard to see it any other way.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Has anyone been watching the Tennis League matches? Basically five one sets of tennis, mens, womens, mixed, legends and doubles. Quite a few different rules which I am still catching up on:

Your manager can nominate a point for a power point, meaning that the next point is worth two.

There is no let.

Doubles rules for deuce (next points wins, no advantage)

First to six games wins, five minute tie break if it reaches 5-5.

It takes some getting used to.

It's been quite entertaining, but I agree with Federer's comments that the traditional style works best.

Only thing I would introduce is the shot clock. Tennis needs it! Especially for players like Nadal, who spends twenty seconds doing his socks up.

Berdych is better than both, but is very mentally fragile and accepts defeat against any of the higher ranked players as soon as he is broken. I am not sure Dani will help with that aspect at all. Should improve Berdych, but I don't think it will make him into a Grand Slam champion. I am not convinced that the reign of the big four is quite over yet.

I was watching an interview with Andre Agassi and he was talking about his descent down the rankings to 140 in the world, and how re-engaged with the sport and managed to get back to the top. If Murray was to want another coach to help him find his way back to the top and if things didn't improve with Mauresmo, now that Agassi is not 100% involved in his foundation, he might be top of the list.

Yeah Berdych is better than both, I just really dislike him and it was a cheap shot because he's such a fud.

Agassi coaching Murray would be excellent for both parties IMO.

Murray beat Lopez today in three sets, seemed to have a bit more pop on his serve and went for some interesting second serves. He will play Nadal tomorrow in the semi finals.

Murray is going after the Nadal back hand, forcing Nadal to error continually. Murray wins 6-2, and has had break points on all of Nadal's service games. There is a bit more pop on all his shots, however his ball toss is still playing a bit of havoc with his serving. Second Serve looks to be better as well, however as a result has made a few more double faults.

Yeah he was impressive, Nadal wasn't very consistent, but Murray took advantage of all his mistakes which is a positive thing. I think his performance tomorrow against Djokovic will give us a better indication of where he is in regards to an improvement on last season. That's Murray's third win over Nadal in this exhibition tournament so it wasn't a shock today. The manner of the score makes it look like a skooshing, but it was closer than that.

HIs return game today was excellent, and forced break points in every service game of Nadal's breaking him five times out of seven. He saved all eleven break points he faced. His backhand was very accurate and precise, his forehand was firing like it was in the US Open Vs Djokovic. It is obvious that under Mauresmo they are developing that into a much more potent weapon. As a result he is able to step inside the base line and put his opponent under far more pressure.

Looks to be some encouraging signs regarding improvement on his weaknesses last season, the absolute gubbing Federer handed to him at the ATP finals may have actually been a good thing.

He wins the title beating both Nadal and Djokovic dropping only two games and yet, we still don't know if the Murray pre back surgery is finally back. He isn't going to get much competition in the Hopman cup GB face Poland (Janowicz), Australia (Matt Ebden) and France (Benoit Paire). No guarantee that he will get through even if he wins all his matches as he is paired with Heather Watson and she has to face Dellaqua, Corney and Radwanska who should all beat her. Isner, Fognini and Pospisil are all in the other group which would be tougher games.

Depending on other players results in the 250 events before the Australian Open he will be seeded between 6th and 8th. I think he would be quite happy being in anyone's quarter with the exception of Federer.