Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Davis Cup can be played at any date, and is not compulsory. Therefore if players would rather play the 500 events they are free to do so.

I realise it's not compulsory. But usually when the last 16 ties, play offs to world groups etc are on, it's the only event that week. Must just because there was only a handful of smaller ties on.

The playoffs for that level of Tennis are always at this time. Can you name a player that could play for either of Denmark, Sweden, Russia or South Africa? The best Russians were playing the qualifiers of the 500s and didn't compete. Just one of those quirks of the tournament calendar. Most players that are in the qualifiers of those 500s would always skip the Davis Cup matches. Andy Murray stated that he saw no point in playing at that level if the rest of the team were incapable of scoring points. This time last year Murray skipped the Davis Cup tie, and let James Ward and Jamie Baker take the singles rubbers against Russia.

Most Davis Cup ties now occur in the week immediately following a Grand Slam or the ATP Tour finals. As there is always a spare week after that. Previously the Davis Cup was scheduled when other tournaments were on, and lots of players elected to skip the ties. Roger Federer has only played 39 rubbers for Switzerland in his career. Nadal 22, Murray 17. Berdych and Djokovic have generally only missed ties through injury.

The playoffs for that level of Tennis are always at this time. Can you name a player that could play for either of Denmark, Sweden, Russia or South Africa? The best Russians were playing the qualifiers of the 500s and didn't compete. Just one of those quirks of the tournament calendar. Most players that are in the qualifiers of those 500s would always skip the Davis Cup matches. Andy Murray stated that he saw no point in playing at that level if the rest of the team were incapable of scoring points. This time last year Murray skipped the Davis Cup tie, and let James Ward and Jamie Baker take the singles rubbers against Russia.

Most Davis Cup ties now occur in the week immediately following a Grand Slam or the ATP Tour finals. As there is always a spare week after that. Previously the Davis Cup was scheduled when other tournaments were on, and lots of players elected to skip the ties. Roger Federer has only played 39 rubbers for Switzerland in his career. Nadal 22, Murray 17. Berdych and Djokovic have generally only missed ties through injury.

I could name some players from the above mentioned probably yeah. The one I expected was Tursunov but he was doing particularly well in one of the 500s last week, I forget which one of the top of my head.

Talking of Sweden, I'd love to see Joachim Johannson make a more permanent comeback. With him and a fit Soderling they'd be a serious force in Davis Cup.

The thing with Johannson is I don't think he is able to play a lot of tennis without his shoulder injury flaring up. Soderling said in August he was hoping to be back for the Paris Masters, but his comeback has been further delayed. Really is a shame that both players were hindered by illness and injury heading into their peak years. Soderling has been inactive for over a year now so does not have a world ranking anymore. If he was to come back he will be hoping that Tournament directors are kind and offer a few wild cards.

Tursunov, Donskoy and Youhzny all played 500 events and did not compete in the Russian side. Tursunov made the semi finals at Valencia before losing to Youhzny. Alex Bogmolov Jnr was the only player in the top 100 that played in the Russian side.and he never got entry into the 500 events. I meant to say could you name a player that actually played instead of could have played. The other Russian I had heard of was Karen Khachanov and that is only as he did well in a Russian event (made the QFs) and looking on the live score app I genuinely thought it was a man vs woman exhibition!

I could not name any of the players from the Denmark, Sweden of South African teams. I have looked at their teams and the results, and I am still none the wiser.

The thing with Johannson is I don't think he is able to play a lot of tennis without his shoulder injury flaring up. Soderling said in August he was hoping to be back for the Paris Masters, but his comeback has been further delayed. Really is a shame that both players were hindered by illness and injury heading into their peak years. Soderling has been inactive for over a year now so does not have a world ranking anymore. If he was to come back he will be hoping that Tournament directors are kind and offer a few wild cards.

Tursunov, Donskoy and Youhzny all played 500 events and did not compete in the Russian side. Tursunov made the semi finals at Valencia before losing to Youhzny. Alex Bogmolov Jnr was the only player in the top 100 that played in the Russian side.and he never got entry into the 500 events. I meant to say could you name a player that actually played instead of could have played. The other Russian I had heard of was Karen Khachanov and that is only as he did well in a Russian event (made the QFs) and looking on the live score app I genuinely thought it was a man vs woman exhibition!

I could not name any of the players from the Denmark, Sweden of South African teams. I have looked at their teams and the results, and I am still none the wiser.

Ah ok. Yeah that's a good point. The only ones would be the two Swedish doubles players and Neilsen of Denmark.

Soderling on his day is as good as anyone in the top 10 with the exception of maybe Novak or Rafa

When Robin Soderling played well he could beat anyone. He remains the only person to beat Nadal at Roland Garros, and beat both of them (Rafa and Novak) in the 2009 World Tour Finals in London. Federer was as dominant as anyone against him only losing once at Roland Garros the year after he lost in the final.

Edited by Loki

Anyone been watching the Tour Finals? I'm a massive tennis fan but I just don't have the same interest with Andy not being there. Much like the French Open earlier this year.

Looks set for a Nadal v Djokovic final I reckon. I think the Joker will win it again this year. Nadal showed weakness against Ferrer in Paris last week which I think the Serb can exploit.

Nadal has been complaining that it isn't fair that the end of season finals are always on hard courts. That seems to me that he's hankering for the less strenuous clay. Nadal played poorly against Ferrer and I think Djokovic has his number on the hard courts. But mentally I think Djokovic has slipped back from his titanic 2011 year.

I have been watching it and have enjoyed it but with the far less emotional involvement with Murray not being there. It's looking like Wawrinka will join Nadal in the semi finals. Although you couldn't rule out Ferrer beating Wawrinka and letting berdych sneak through if they both lose by the same set score.

The second group is wide open. Although Del Potro losing a set to Gasquet might see him lose out if he beats Djokovic then loses to Federer. Hopefully they will have a better understanding of the rules which lead to the confusion in 2009 of not knowing if Del Potro, Murray or Federer going through.

Ah well that scenario is dead, Djokovic beats Del Potro to book his semi final spot. He could still theoretically come second in the group if he was to lose in straight sets to Gasquet. The Federer - Del Potro shoot out on Saturday should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard Gasquet injured himself and has pulled out of the exhibition tournament meaning it has now been cancelled and Andy Murray's comeback has been further delayed. Murray is scheduled to play Tsonga on boxing day, and will play Doha and then decide if he is fit for the Aussie Open. I dare say if he plays in both he will be fit to play in the Aussie Open. He should remain as fourth seed when the draw is made in January. He will have 250 pts to defend that week but Del Potro is more than 500 behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Boris was brilliant at shortening points and his net play saw him land three Wimbledon championships and make seven Wimbledon finals in total. I don't think Novak is as good as either Murray or Nadal at the net and getting Boris on board could help him with that side of his game. I can see why the appointment was made. If he is to win majors outside of Australia again I think he needs to improve his net play. That extra cheap points could see him overtake Nadal again.

I see Roger Federer has appointed Stefan Edberg as his coach on an initial 10 week stint starting at the Australian Open. I am not sure how Edberg is going to improve Federer but it is a job that should be relatively easy. Getting Federer back into the top four will be seen as a success and he should do that. Federer's back injury from last season should be clear and he has also elected to use the bigger racquet head this coming season.

Andy Murray tweeted "How great is it to have all these legends of the game coaching?! Absolutely loving it.. #mycoachisbetterthanyoursnanananana" in jest. There is even talk of charity doubles matches between the three teams, although I think the BB/Novak Vs Lendl/Murray is more likely to happen.

If Hawk-Eye in football can give an instant decision on a goal, why is there a challenge system in tennis?

Surely if the system is accurate and can give more or less instant feed-back, it should be possible for a signal to be sent to the umpire immediately if the ball is out? Indeed, why do they need line judges at all?

If nothing else, could it not be made to provide an instant decision on serves, thereby reducing the number of challenges wasted?

Edited by Flash