Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray got pushed out to 6/5 at the end of the first set. I'm raging that I never stuck £20 on him.

His odds must have been even greater when Ferrer had championship point as well.

He was 2/1 with paddy power at 6-5 down, I toyed with sticking a cheeky £20 on

Murray got pushed out to 6/5 at the end of the first set. I'm raging that I never stuck £20 on him.

His odds must have been even greater when Ferrer had championship point as well.

He was available at 6/4 just before the end of the first set, and 4/1 match point down in the 12th game of the final set.

That first point in the tie break had me confused. I wasn't sure on where the net cord bounced, and then it span over to the other side, so was a bit puzzled when Murray got the point.

Dug out the win in the end, he physically looked just about dead at 6-5 down.

If you remember Wimbledon last year and Shanghai 18 months ago, Murray saw Ferrer off pretty comfortably by mixing it up. There were hardly any slices or drop shots today, he seemed to want to try and hit through Ferrer from the back of the court, something which is extremely difficult to do. As I said a few pages back - if you give Ferrer nothing to work with, he isn't great. He uses the pace of the opponents shot against them so well. I was surprised at this tactic as its so un-Murray like.

That said, his serving was disgusting. Which never helps matters.

Yup, and Murray's bottled the Final. So neither won the tournament.

Djokovic is not a better player than Murray. Yet he's achieved more. Purely down the fact he's an arrogant c**t who believes in himself, while Murrays trying to convince himself that he's confident. Murray will go through spells of destroying everyone but ultimately he'll fail more than succeed. Djokovics the opposite

Oops

That first point in the tie break had me confused. I wasn't sure on where the net cord bounced, and then it span over to the other side, so was a bit puzzled when Murray got the point.

Same here. I wasn't sure, and the on screen graphic had Ferrer 1-0 up for about five seconds before they changed it.

Haha to the routine win remark.

Murray now second in the world and the first time since 2003 that either Nadal or Federer haven't been in the top two. Also it is actually the first time Murray has been ranked above Federer. I thought he achieved that when he reached number two previously, however he was second to Federer.

Moves him two behind Pete Sampras in the Master Titles all time records. A stat that was shown on the Sky Sports coverage was that David Ferrer has never beaten a top 5 player in a final. I am not sure if that indicates that he isn't as good, or just hasn't the "bottle".

I believe today was only the second time Ferrer has even won a set against one of those players in finals. Not sure how much of it is mental and how much of it is just not being as good as the opponent. Can't be easy knowing you have less ability than your opponent, and knowing the match is out of your hands, particularly against Federer.

For me Ferrer's finest hour was the 2007 US Open win against Nadal. Not a final, but no one gave him a chance and he was brilliant. Never seen him come close to playing that well before or since.

I am not a fan of Ferrer. You have to respect the way he is constantly trying to improve himself. His doggedness and determination is only bettered by Novak and Rafa. He played very well against Rafa in the QF of the Australian in 2011, but I think Nadal was struggling with his knees at that point.

I thought that he did chuck it to a certain extent today. Murray was very poor but looked to move Ferrer about in the second and third sets, which I think contributed to the higher error count from Ferrer when he tired. The first set reminded me of the match against Ferrer in the French last year. Murray misfired throughout that match. In the first set he also seemed happy to give it to Ferrer in the middle of the court and hoped Ferrer would make the error.

When did Murray get this slow starter name? I have always thought he has tried to get the early break, often electing to receive first to put his opponent under pressure.

After the misery of watching our national football side recently it`s just great to watch and support a guy who for all the frustrations he can cause us is a truly world class sportsman. Long may he continue to both torment and delight us.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

After the misery of watching our national football side recently it`s just great to watch and support a guy who for all the frustrations he can cause us is a truly world class sportsman. Long may he continue to both torment and delight us.

spoton.png

I don't think it will now Nadals back on the scene. To have a top four of Djokovic, Murray, Federer and Nadal all at their best would be incredible

Is this Murray bottling something yet again? He's got the potential to be Number 1, but he'll never make it

Yup, and Murray's bottled the Final. So neither won the tournament.

Djokovic is not a better player than Murray. Yet he's achieved more. Purely down the fact he's an arrogant c**t who believes in himself, while Murrays trying to convince himself that he's confident. Murray will go through spells of destroying everyone but ultimately he'll fail more than succeed. Djokovics the opposite

:D that tactic never fails...

That is all your four posts on this thread. Doesn't look like a serial wind up to me. Looks like you were caught knowing nothing and had the cheek to cry wind up.

When did Murray get this slow starter name? I have always thought he has tried to get the early break, often electing to receive first to put his opponent under pressure.

I don't keep stats for this, perhaps I should and maybe someone does, but he often seems to go a break down in the first set before coming back to win it more often than not. This seems to happen more often than it should for someone who is usually an overwhelming favourite to win.

He gave up the first break against Berlocq and Donskoy in Indian Wells for example. I only saw the final in Brisbane early in the year, but he was 5-2 down to Dimitrov in the first set before coming back to win just like he did in Miami against the same opponent. Gave up break point chances early against Tomic in Miami before winning easily, and fell well behind against Gasquet early on too.

That is fair enough, I guess you can argue it either way. It certainly has more substance than I thought. He has taken the first set in the last five matches with Djokovic and had taken the first set in the last three major finals. I thought the early breaks in the matches you highlight were more systematic of his erratic serving, but that could easily be contributed to being slow to start or slow to find his range.

In the match against Gasquet, Gasquet was immense rather than Murray being slow to start.