Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He is currently 145 in the world and is in the Final of a Challenger event in New York state, which is a 2nd string event(the events you do before you are on the main tour). He should get into the top 100 this year.

He's came a long way since then! biggrin.gif

Brilliant, bursting with pride.

(NB What a find - this thread going back to 2005!)

Nah, this thread's been on the first or second page of this section of the forum since it was created.

Was in the States during the International break but thought I'd miss all the tennis as I wasn't due in NY until last Monday.

Thanks to the remnants of Hurricane something-or-other getting the semis and finals put back a day, and a very good hotel concierge who got me a ticket 90 minutes before the match started, I made it along to the men's final.

Really pleased I made it, first set was tremendous stuff and no-one in the crowd left their seat. Start of the second set was a bit weird as all the Yanks went for their hot dogs/nachos at the end of the first set and the stadium was half empty for ages.

After being four games down in the second Djokovic raised his game and Andy did well to hang onto the set, but in the third and fourth you feared the worst as Djokovic bossed the match.

However, as soon as Andy broke Djokovic in the first game of the fifth it seemed to be a matter of when, not if, Andy would win. Djokovic looked goosed and had the crowd giving him the bird when he called for an injury time out before the last game.

Winning point was a bit weird as it was a really close line call, for a split second (although it seemed like ages in the stadium) nobody was sure if it was in or out and if Andy had won or not.

Trophy presentation was a bit poor, gave the players their trophies, a quick interview with each of them, a few pictures for the professional snappers and then they all pissed off, thought they might have let Andy take the trophy round the court and allowed the crowd to get some pictures of their own like they do at Wimbledon.

Plenty of Scots in the crowd and I would say the majority of the crowd wanted Andy to win, certainly more vocal support for him than Djokovic.

Finally, perhaps someone at Scotrail could take a jaunt over to NY and see how their transport people deal with big crowds? Thousands of people going for the metro after the game, no queues at all, just a load of trains filling up and scooting off as soon as they were full.