Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Strangely Baghdatis was nearly 4/1 to win that match, which given Murray said he hadn't prepared and couldn't really be bothered, was rather generous.

No doubt Muuray will continue being very, very good, but not quite as good as some people would like him to be.

• 4 weeks later...

It's Andy Murray time again!

I've forgiven him letting me down in Austrailian Open final (performance, not result), but indian wells is getting underway tourney

On first against a qualifier

[Q] D Young (USA) vs [5] A Murray (GBR) - ATP

Hopefully his head is in the game, don't want to see a slump like last year. I'm hoping as Rotterdam tourney was very well paid, he might have turned up for his appearance money and not given a shit (as much as you can) against Bhagdatis.

Young is interesting..

He's been hyped to death by the Americans for what seems like years now. I remember Tim Henman brutalising him in one of his early wild card shows. He looked dreadful any time I saw him over his first couple of years on tour..

There's obvisouly some latent talent there though. Will be interesting to see if he even makes the top 50 in the years to come..

He has a lot of glaring weaknesses, he'll do very well to get much higher than 50. The hype probably has more to do with the cupboard being bare for the Americans once Roddick gives it up.

Murray meanwhile has a lot to do to convince people that he won't go into an extended slump like he did at this time last year. I didn't see all of the match today, but what I did see was shocking from Murray. Hopefully he'll win a few doubles matches to get into shape to do better in Miami. None of the top players are usually playing their very best at this time of year, but they nearly always find a way to beat people like Young. Murray had a decent draw if he could've won a couple of matches.

Edited by blue4578

Terrible display from Murray. Serve was diabolical, could barely get a first serve in at times. Young played well but 40 odd enforced errors from Murray handed him the match on a platter.

I'd say it's time for a new coach but Murray is a stubborn sod and seems to want to stick with his current posse. For me Andy is treading water and he will never fulfill his potential without a new voice in his corner. Andy still has the same problems he's had for ages (unreliable serve, loss of focus) and shows no sign of sorting them. Think it's decision time for Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Murray loses in his first match at the Miami Masters 1000. Lad who beat him was a 27 year old US journeyman called Alex Bogomolov Jnr who is ranked outside the top 100. Murray only held serve three times in ten attempts in losing 6/1,7/5. Second 1000 in a row he has been pumped by a complete nobody. He even managed to lose before the SKY coverage of the event begins today.

Andy's response to the current crisis was to make his 25 year old best pal his new coach. Murray has already admitted that this bloke (Dani Valverdu ?) will have limited technical input and is really only there to keep him company. Expect more embarrassing results and feeble capitulations to unknown challenge tour players until further notice. Sad waste of a great talent.

Murray loses in his first match at the Miami Masters 1000. Lad who beat him was a 27 year old US journeyman called Alex Bogomolov Jnr who is ranked outside the top 100. Murray only held serve three times in ten attempts in losing 6/1,7/5. Second 1000 in a row he has been pumped by a complete nobody. He even managed to lose before the SKY coverage of the event begins today.

Andy's response to the current crisis was to make his 25 year old best pal his new coach. Murray has already admitted that this bloke (Dani Valverdu ?) will have limited technical input and is really only there to keep him company. Expect more embarrassing results and feeble capitulations to unknown challenge tour players until further notice. Sad waste of a great talent.

Until he gets a proper coach, he's never going to make the step up - and I say that as a big fan of Andy, really can't stand the folk that only watch the Slams and then have a go. Look at the difference with Djokovic this season, and the 2 were pretty much even last season.

Frankly, losing to one no mark qualifier is bad enough, but to lose to 2 in 2 tournaments is an embarrassment.

There is talk now of Lendl becoming Murrays' coach, would be a good appointment he lost his first 4 grand slam finals before figuiring out how to win them.

Needs someone with that experience in my opinion to take him to the next level.

Ross Hutchins. As long as this isn't an April Fools(it most likey is), it says it all really about Murray's attitude of late - really couldn't be bothered. Shame, really.

Edited by McKee