Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray always seems to win these sort of games but he can make hard work of it at times. It's almost as if he decides that ti's getting too close for comfort and then ups his game by enough to gub them. He's done it a lot the past year.

He will be more focussed against Federer for sure, it will be interesting to see what happens. I like Federer a lot I wonder if he will be right up for beating Murray?

Fed wins 6-2,7-6 (10-8).

Federer was on another planet at times but Murray hung in there and if he'd taken one of his set points in the tie break it could have been interesting. That said Fed deserved the win but Murray will be happy with his efforts in the second set.

Fed wins 6-2,7-6 (10-8).

Federer was on another planet at times but Murray hung in there and if he'd taken one of his set points in the tie break it could have been interesting. That said Fed deserved the win but Murray will be happy with his efforts in the second set.

Circumstances meant I only saw the last two games of the second set plus the tie break. Tie break was a cracker. Not sure there's many could give Federer a double break in the tie break to be 3-0 down and still get back in it even if he did eventually lose. No idea why he challenged that serve in the tie break either given that it was:

1 - Clearly in

2 - Cost him the point when he'd actually returned it anyway and was in the rally.

Seeding for the US Open is now out of Andy's hands. If Nadal wins this tournament he'll be back at No 2 on Monday. Andy needs either Djokovic or Federer to beat Nadal to clinch the No 2 seed position.

What difference does seeding mean for the US Open? Is it a case of 1&2 can't meet until the final? What about 3&4 - can they meet prior to the semis?

What I'm getting at is: does it make a huge difference if Murray is seeded to play Nadal/Djokovic in the semis or Nadal/Federer/Djokovic, given that it's not on Federer's best surface (despite tonight's outcome)?

:unsure: totally

What difference does seeding mean for the US Open? Is it a case of 1&2 can't meet until the final? What about 3&4 - can they meet prior to the semis?

What I'm getting at is: does it make a huge difference if Murray is seeded to play Nadal/Djokovic in the semis or Nadal/Federer/Djokovic, given that it's not on Federer's best surface (despite tonight's outcome)?

:unsure: totally

1 and 2 can't meet before the final. They are in different halves of the draw. Likewise 3 and 4 can't meet as they will also be in different halves although they may be drawn in either half.

So fundamentally the difference is in whether or not Murray is potentially in Federer's half. If he's seeded No 2 he won't be. If he's seeded No 3 he has a 50/50 shot of being.

And whilst grass is certainly Federer's best surface, he is very good on hard courts too. He has a superb record at the US Open.

Nadal lost to Djokovic last night anyway so Murray WILL be No 2 at Flushing Meadow.

Statement of the bleeding obvious of course but Murray has been confirmed as seeded No 2 for the US Open.

Had Federer, and not Nadal, been World Number 3 right now, Murray may have been seeded three for the tournament.

I remember Tim Henman regularly got a higher seeding than his world ranking at Wimbledon, due to his good record there. The year he lost in the semis to Ivanisevic, he was seeded six despite being world ranked eleven at the time. Sampras was top seed that year, even though his world ranking was six then.

Had Federer, and not Nadal, been World Number 3 right now, Murray may have been seeded three for the tournament.

I remember Tim Henman regularly got a higher seeding than his world ranking at Wimbledon, due to his good record there. The year he lost in the semis to Ivanisevic, he was seeded six despite being world ranked eleven at the time. Sampras was top seed that year, even though his world ranking was six then.

US Open are quiet strict in following the rankings for seeding

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8221366.stm

I think it's fair to say even the seedings committee at Wimbledon have become far less likely to make such major adjustments these days and the other majors rarely if ever did that.

It's not impossible that Murray would have been three in the circumstances you describe but it's unlikely I think. And irrelevant anyway.

Murray in Del Potro/Nadal's half of the US Open draw and playing Ernests Gulbis in the first round. I gather he's also scheduled to meet Ivo Karlovic in the third round (assuming they both reach that far obv.)

Think Rafa is playing the returning Gasquet in 1st round too.

edit - looks like Tsonga is in Murray's half too

Edited by pantene proV

Pretty nasty draw for Murray, Nadal and Del Potro is the worst combination he could have got. He should be comfortable against the likes of Gulbis and certainly Karlovic, but even then it's a bit more hassle than he would have liked at those stages.

I'm not sure about Nadal actually, if Djokovic is back to form a bit as suggested in Cincinnati, Murray might be happier against Nadal, who is nowhere near his peak fitness levels.

Edited by Virtual Insanity